1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian - but married to a man. Feeling lost and sad.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by ssxElise, Jan 9, 2016.

1. ssxElise

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I´m struggling.
    I´m 36 and I´m a lesbian. I´m new here but I want to share my story.
    I´ve been married to a man for 12 years and we have three kids together.
    Looking back, I always knew I was a lesbian. But I got married and had my first child at 24. Family life took over and I just ignored my feelings. For the past 5 years I´ve thought so much about my sexual orientation and for the past 2-3 years there has not been a doubt in my mind. I´m gay.
    I´ve never been with a woman but I feel that is right for me. I just know it. And I want it.

Up until a few months ago I thought I could ignore all this and keep my family together. But I don´t know for how long I can keep this up. I feel like my life is a lie. I´m often frustrated and stressed. I fall asleep thinking about all this and I´m not sleeping well. Some days I break down and cry and other days I´m just kinda distant.

I live in a country where coming out is no big deal. It would not do anything to my family relationships (parents, siblings, cousins..) and it would not change anything at work.
    But, there is the husband I mentioned earlier, and the three kids.
    We´ve built ourselves a good life. We live in a good house, we have everything we need, and my kids are healthy and happy. We make a good team. I work quite a lot so my husband does more of the driving to sports, planning play dates and all that.
    Just thinking about changing all that breaks my heart. Life would change so much and I don´t know how my kids would handle that. I don´t know how I would handle that. I just can´t think about it. This is the biggest issue for me.

I´m so lost. I don´t know what to do, when or how.
    I came out to my sister a few days ago and it felt so good. I felt like I wasn´t carrying this around myself anymore. Since I told her, I´ve thought even more about coming out/or not coming out and I just go in circles.

My story is long (tried to make it as short as possible), and my feelings are all over the place...

I´d love to get advice, comments or whatever.

2. maybgayguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi ssx...Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place. There are so many of us in similar situations. There are a lot of women here who have had similar experiences and I think you will find it helpful.

I am struggling myself. I haven't come out to my wife. However, I have started to come out to myself...today it was telling myself in the mirror. I will tell my therapist next week. I don't want to destroy this life I have built but my desire to be with another man physically and emotionally is so overwhelming. It is getting more and more difficult to keep it bottled up.

3. Boatman

Hi. There are those on here who will give you better advice than I ever could. But I identified with so much of your situation, I wanted to simply say you are not alone and I hope you find the support here like I have.

4. ssxElise

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It´s nice feeling that I´m not alone. Thank you guys.

Coming out to myself was a big step and felt good.
    I thought I could just control my feelings and ignore it. But it does get overwhelming, I agree. The emotions do come out.

And so many things are going through my mind.
    ..I want my family together but,
    ..I want to feel happy
    ..I don´t want to lie
    ..I´m not being fair to my husband
    ..and and and...

5. Distant Echo

Hey there :slight_smile:

There are a lot of us here. You are not alone.
    Ok first up. Kids are stronger than you think. My youngest is 12 and he is very accepting of me. We've even had the "what if i want you to meet someone" discussion.
    You've said there won't be any issues with your family. So tell them. They can support you while you work out how to tell your husband, and what you are going to do about your marriage.

Baby steps. Get your support network in place.

6. MsAnchor

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel you, its so hard walking away from something so substantial on the surface but feels hollow on the inside.

7. NewToThisWorld

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I identify with this, as it's how I'm scared I'll feel if I end up married to a man. I can't offer much in the way of advice as I'm very new here - and to all this - myself; but I feel there can be a way forward and a way to be happy for all of us. I wish you so much luck in finding yours.

8. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dear ssxElise,

No matter whether "coming out" is a big deal publicly or not where you are, it's certainly a big deal to the individual person going through it, and I'm so sorry to hear about your pain. It must be so tough to deal with what you're going through: I'm sure it's awfully scary, must feel very lonely, and I'm sure the guilt gets overwhelming at times.

And for those very reasons I want to congratulate you on your courage in dealing with this, on your honesty in facing yourself and your own truth.

I don't have kids and I've not been married so I can't speak to that, but I understand it must be very difficult to choose what path to take moving forward.

I'm glad you've found this place and it's so great that you've come out to your sister and that you found support in her. You don't have to go through this alone.

Just take one step at a time, and try to be kind to yourself.

Wanting to be happy is not selfish. You have needs too and it looks like they're not being met. Consider if it were one of your children in your place right now. What would you want for them? What would you tell them to do? How would you answer them if your child told you the very same things you've told us? And then I would advise you to try to show yourself the same love that you would have wanted them to show themselves in your situation.

Love,
    PG

#8 PlaidGlove, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  9. rachael1954

Same boat, also lost and sad. You are not alone here.

Is there any way to talk to your husband about this? Would you even be willing to do that? Sometimes it can not be a reaction you want, but other times it can make all the difference.

Also, keep posting, we are here to help!

10. GayPugs

When I was little and still pretending to be straight my "crush" (he was actually and still is my best friend in the world) had a mom and a dad. Well, they got divorced because the mom thought she was LESBIAN!!! It was so hard for her but she got through it and now she believes she's bi. I always feel more at home with my old "crush" because he always talks about liking boys so...you know. This was no help at all, was it? Anyway, if you ever need a shoulder to cry on, you know where to find me.

11. yeehaw

Hi there,

I figured out I was gay after marrying a man and having a couple of kids with him. It is SUCH a hard/scary position to be in. My heart goes out to you. Also I wanted to say listen closely to your gut. Your mind will run you in circles rentlesly, terrify you, and leave you feeling confused and unsure. So whenever that "quiet knowing" part of you is nudging you in a certain direction, listen closely, its the very best guidance you can get.

Big hugs!

#11 yeehaw, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  12. ssxElise

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Let´s see if I got how to quote.. :slight_smile:
    Good comment.
    I have thought about talking it over with my husband and telling him where I´m at. We´ve had ups and downs and I have shared that my feelings have changed and I´m feeling a bit lost. He has no idea why though. He wants to do everything to keep us together.
    I can´t predict his reaction. And if I tell him, there is no going back from that. So I need to be sure I can handle whatever is reaction will be..

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2016 at 07:28 PM ----------

Thanks.
    That´s true. My mind pulls me in all directions. Sometimes I just want to scream out loud that I´m gay and whatever happens, happens. But I also know that I need to be sure, because nothing will be taken back.
    I´m going to meet my cousin to go skiing for presidents week (she´s from NY and we´ll be skiing close to where she lives). I´m going to use that week to think and look at all my options. No husband or kids with me so it will be a good "me time".

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2016 at 07:40 PM ----------

To everyone,

I have obviously come to the right place to talk.

I´m so greatful for your comments and questions.
    It´s good to be able to talk about this and maybe get a different perspective on things.
    I´m not going to rush into anything. It´s a big deal leaving the secure family life I have. I´m one of those who needs to have everything under control and I don´t do anything without knowing what´s next.

I know my kids would be fine in the end and I would probably be fine in the end too.
    I want to live my life being true to myself and act on my true feelings.
    But I need to figure everything out and being sure I´m ready for whatever comes.

(*hug*)
    Hugs to everyone

13. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am in a similar boat. At this point in time, I have been sacrificing myself over and over as my husband has closed our marriage again and has basically forbade me to be close with a female. Being bi and married with three children is diffinitely very difficult. There is little advice I can offer, but know that I know where you are coming from in regards to keeping a secure family and keeping the harmony until it is time to "live the real me for me"

14. latenlife lez

Well they are many of us out there- like you in different aspects of your situation

I asked my husband if I could have sex with another woman- he said yes- we ended up falling in love. My husband and have been married 16 years- have 2 kids. I love him like a brother- and he was aware from the beginning that I was not sure I was straight.

We just moved- and as I was packing --I ran into all the wedding things- and as I unpack I just wonder what to do- because those things do not mean what they did. Talk about feeling bad-

I do all the time- and I am trying to figure out am I projecting- his feelings into mine- my families- because they like him-my children's- or all these just mine

I have spent a lot of time thinking- and in counseling- all I can say is I am not sure.

Every step in this journey will bring pain and joy-- and I think we forget that every time there is a change in our lives- there is always loss- and gain- or pain and joy.

Keep posting

15. ssxElise

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I´m seeing a counselor at the lgbt organization this afternoon.
    Nervous - stressed - excited and I don´t know what.
    I´m not doing it to make a decision today but to talk to someone and figure out how to cope with all this. Being gay and not being able to express it and live it, is really getting to me too..

16. Bibliovian

That's exactly what happened with me. I went for a run and a particular song came in and I just stopped in my tracks. I realized that I couldn't unknow what I know, fall out of love with my trigger crush, and pretend I was happy in my hetero-marriage. (The song was Divided by Tegan and Sara if anyone was curious!)

So I got home, heated up lunch for my husband and I, and half way through talking about mowing the law, I just said "I'm gay." And although the next few moments, days, weeks, months broke my heart in terms of guilt...I'm not sure I would have changed it....because I would have talked myself out of it.

#16 Bibliovian, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  17. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was my dilemma too. For a year I went backwards and forwards about coming out. I wanted to have everything wrapped up neatly beforehand. But there were just too many variables, too much uncertainty, to ever reach a confident solution. I felt continuously overwhelmed.

During that time, however, my need for authenticity grew. I finally decided I had to come out just for me, and let the consequences be damned. In the end, the consequences were not that dire, though they are still being worked out a year and a half later. I am able to be myself at last, the person I was always meant to be.

18. ssxElise

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I met with a counselor yesterday at the LGBT organization.
    It felt good talking about everything. Talking about my feelings so openly felt great.
    I felt real and I was finally speaking the truth.
    She asked a lot of difficult questions and gave me lots to think about.

I feel so ready to come out but I don´t feel ready to become a single mom and all that.
    My stomach is just in knots right now.