1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good self-help?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Jan 11, 2016.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does anyone know of good self-help techniques for down days? I've had a few of those for whatever reason.

I do try to keep up with exercise about 3 days a week, and I do try to keep a somewhat healthy diet. So those bases are covered.

The things that have helped my mental health the most so far have been reading most of God and the Gay Christian to help reframe a number of things I was taught early on, coming out to a couple of people, and going out of town to visit a good friend, where I could actually live and be openly gay and no one cared. Despite all that, I still have down days, and the past week or two have been a bit blue.

I was surprised to find a gay-friendly therapist in a nearby town; I'm considering whether to go. I don't want to rehash every last thing from my past, but I do want some help to move forward and be happier now and in the future.

2. MOGUY

The best self help I know of is to help someone else.

3. MOGUY

The best self help I know of is to help someone else.

4. Bibliovian

I am very much in a similar boat. I have days where I'm okay and days or periods of gloom. So far the things that help:
    -Being with friends who make me laugh even when I don't feel like getting out of the house (or bed.)
    -Reading a book that has nothing to do with my current circumstances
    -(agreed with the previous poster) put my efforts into something charitable (For me it's fundraisers for Relay for Life).
    -Use excessive amounts of parentheticals. (I love it.)

#4 Bibliovian, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  5. Mikelhpc228

Hi CrazyDog,
    Exercising regularly is good. DO you have pets or something living to care for? Even watering houseplants can improve one's mood. It might be worth your while to meet with the therapist. I always feel better after a session, especially when I have touched on difficult/painful topics. it is important to rehash some of our past to resolve those issues, and move-on to a happier future. Would you ever consider taking an antidepressant medication? If you drink alcohol try to limit yuor drinking, as alcohol can act as a depressant.

6. CapColors

These are all really good suggestions.

I also text people I haven't heard from in a while. Not to drag them into my problems, to just check in and say hello. I try and keep it light on purpose---just something to remind myself that my circle of people who like me is larger than the people I talk to on a regular basis. It's also interesting to hear how other people's lives are going.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd strongly advocate spending some time with the therapist. You can choose what gets discussed; you don't have to spend weeks dredging through old, past stuff, you can go straight into current things that are going on for you, and your therapist will fill in the blanks as s/he goes along.

All of the other suggestions are excellent ones also.

8. cheaterdad

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not sure what the other folks here feel about it, but I sometimes just hash it all out with myself and cry like a baby. I'm guilty of just balling my eyes out and dredging through all the shit that hurts me and after an hour or so I pull it all back together and move on. It is very helpful to just let the emotions e raw and untamed for a few hours. I always feel better about myself when I am done. Maybe I am just crazy but it helps me.

9. Thefowl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in the same boat with you, I'm like an emotional wave. These are somethings I do to pick my self up.

-I write all my depressing thoughts or just what happened today in a journal.

-Put on some jazz (yes I'm one of those jazz people lol) and sit in a dark room. For some reason this makes me happy, I don't really know why.

-I blare upbeat happy music and Dance like an idiot.

10. Missy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! I recognize myself in you. Being acceptant to yourself is fluctuating from day to day.
    One thing that helps alot for me is breathing deep. Fills you with calm and energy at the same time. And talking to a therapist is something good too I think. You can say what you want to say and it stays with that person..

11. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thumbs up!:thumbsup: