1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

worried if a great friendship will change if I tell her I´m a lesbian

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by ssxElise, Jan 15, 2016.

1. ssxElise

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I´ve only told my sister that I´m gay.
    I´m married to a man, 3 kids, terrified of ending it.

I have a friend I would like to tell I´m gay (although I don´t want to tell more people when I´m still with my husband). She is my best friend and she is my everything. She is also my cousin (we have the same great-grandmother). We really got to know each other 4-5 years ago and we are very close now. She lives in the States, I don´t. I go to see her 3-4 times a year (long weekends) and she has brought her family to my country every other year or so. She is married, has 2 kids.

We have some kind of connection. We do hold hands a lot, we touch each other a lot (not sexually..), there are kisses on the cheak, there is hugging for no reason and so on. I don´t really see her as a cousin, much more as my friend. All this touch has never been sexual in any way or any indication neither of us want more. I don´t think I want anything more - she is, after all, my cousin.

But, this touch and hand-holding feels so good. I get a calm, relaxing feeling when I hold her hand. I feel so warm and loved.

Now my worries. I want to tell her I´m gay. I´ve told her about problems with my husband and we share a lot. I feel like I´m not honest with her.
    I´m just not sure how she will respond to me being a lesbian. I find it very unlikely that I would lose her as a friend, but she might get uncomfortable with the closeness we have. I don´t want to stop holding her hand and being close to her. I don´t want to lose her.

So my question to you guys.. have you had problems with your same-sex friends after coming out to them? Do they change their behavior around you??

2. Bibliovian

It largely depends on the friend but yeah, I have noticed changes. Much less dancing "with me" and more dancing with the big group, one friend doesn't hug me hello or goodbye anymore. I'm a fairly touchy-feely person, so I noticed right away. But I have other friends who are completely the same.

It's not really predictable, but it definitely changes things for some. I wish I could say it didn't. My better friends, the friends I know are my supports, didn't change all that much.

3. Really

I wonder if you might be safer from a changed relationship because you're related. It's not like a friend who might now think you're attracted to them because if you were straight and she were a guy, nobody would think you two were couple-able, right?

You could mention that you're so glad you two are such good friends because you can use all the friends you can get, right about now. Emphasize somehow the high value you place on her friendship.

4. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with Really.
    Since you are within family, if you told her, there most likely will be a situation where any one or both may feel awkward afterwards but no way to part/never have to talk again.

I am going through this now. Told her I was attracted to her, she rejected me nicely, offering to listen if I ever needed to talk.
    In addition to having to cope with my feelings, I've felt very awkward. Avoided seeing her for few weeks completely, then slowly got myself into normal routine. It's been almost 2 months now and I am making progress.

I now like the fact that 80 percent of the time I can be fine without having to consider if she'll be in same area, hate to avoid places just because of someone else.
    However, have not spoken to her at all - don't know how to or if I even want to. The experience of telling her was way too personal and I feel almost naked while she is around.
    I feel bad not talking to her, don't want her to think I am mean, because it is mostly due to awkwardness, and trying not t make her feel uncomfortable.
    All this with a non related person, just an acquaintance of mine.

I understand it must be so difficult for you to hold these feelings..
    Maybe try to distance yourself by seeing her less and doing other activities, seeing other people. Distance and time may smooth things out on its own.
    Would not do the talk with relative, but that's just my opinion..

5. yeehaw

It sounds like you are feeling pretty uncomfortable with not telling her. That "feeling dishonest" thing is probably worth paying attention to, particularly in a relationship that means this much to you. I do think it'll help that you two are related. It is still possible of course that she won't be as comfortable with physical affection and it sounds like that would be a real loss for you. As I think about this my mind keeps coming back to this thought--tell her what's up and then you'll learn what is possible in your relationship with her once she knows about this important piece of you. Hopefully that means she'll still be able to love and support you as she has in the past! And if she can't, it sounds like it might be time for you to learn that. Big hugs! I'd love to hear what you decide to do!

6. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

She really cares about you, so I think you could tell her.

Almost all of my straight gal friends know I'm bi, and it hasn't changed our friendship.
    They still give me great hugs and tell me they love me, send me sweet cards, go on vacations with me to cabins or hotel rooms, use a hot tub together with me and often sign e-mails with Love, Love You or even xxoo. It hasn't made any difference whatsoever.
    Friendship love is a wonderful thing! :slight_smile:

7. ssxElise

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think being related to her makes it easier, I agree with you all on that.
    Even though we´re very close and we hold hands, dance together an all that, there has never been an awkward moment. It just feels right.

Since I´m not out yet I do consider though not telling her, because I don´t want to risk what we have. The intimacy with my husband is so little and it doesn´t give me the same feeling. It´s amazing how much a touch can do for a person. Feels like it lowers my stress-level, feels like I´m not alone, gives me more positive energy..

But at the same time, I hate being dishonest and fake. I want to share this with her and have her support through this process (even though it might be a long, slow process).

I´m seeing her in February. So I have a bit of time to think about it.

Thank you for sharing your stories. (*hug*)

8. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have had totally different outcomes when I cam out to my two sisters and a cousin (at different times, though). My oldest sister first, and she changed and became awkward. As if I will ever be attracted to her. My cousin, like you, who I am so comfortable with that we can share anything and everything. She has been through it all with me, and continues to support me 100%. I am very lucky it turned out the way it did. Now my other sister, she surprised me that one. She is bi as well, oh em gee, and we have more things in common than we realized. We are that much closer and support each other, but we are both comfortable not discussing our sexual orientation. Accepting each other is enough for the both of us.
    There will be different reactions with different people. One thing is for sure, you do not need to come out until you are ready to do so. The first couple times I did, I got so exhausted mentally and emotionally. Gets a bit more comfortable with time.