1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This might be the year....

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by taken, Jan 19, 2016.

1. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The year that I propose to my girlfriend. We've talked about marriage and have lots of the same views and goals for marriage. My problem is that I have no idea how my family will react to this. My parents know that I'm dating another girl and have been for a year and half now. I have a brother who is gay and knows I'm lesbian. But I also have a brother and sister in law who are quite religious and I've not told them just yet. I've only recently come out to my parents (3 months ago). A big part of my motivation to come out to them was because I know that my girlfriend is the one! The other part of my issue is that my dad's side of the family is very religious and judgmental. They do not know about me or my brother. I'm scared that if they do know, they will disown my dad (and family) for having gay children. Although I don't have much contact with them, it would be hard to hide an engagement/marriage with all the social networking stuff these days (nor do I really want to hide her because I'm so proud to have her in my life). Does anyone have any experience with telling your family that you are going to be engaged or married?

2. rachael1954

No experience but I wanted to say a preemptive congratulations!

3. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you!! I'm super excited about it, yet nervous at the same time. I know that she will say yes, I just wish I didn't have to factor in my family and their reactions as well...

4. maybgayguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No experience here but...super exciting!!!! You can't worry about their reactions for the rest of your life.

So happy that you found someone!