1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the most difficult convo of my life....this weekend.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by WhyFreudWhy, Jan 20, 2016.

1. WhyFreudWhy

Hello EC,

I've been reading posts on here for about a month and it has been extremely helpful in understanding myself and my feelings. So thanks, to all of you.

Quickly -- my story, which thankfully, after reading posts here, is not completely out of the ordinary. I've lived a hetero life, got married at 32 to an amazing woman, who I thought I would be married to my entire life. So, after living overseas for the last four years in difficult places, we returned to the States this past summer. By November I was dealing with some deep depression and possibly some PTSD, so got some drugs and started being able to think more clearly, maybe 50 percent of the time. And then I was completely stunned when on December 23, in the middle of the night, while driving and my wife was sleeping, I had the epiphany. It was like a voice in my head said it -- I'm gay and I have to tell my wife. It scared me senseless. Since December 23, I've been through the worst anxiety I have ever had -- but also my mind has been "unrepressing" things from my past. These memories are getting stronger and there is no shame or guilt attached to them -- which is nice and relieving. I've always known that I was gay, but have been able to separate those thoughts and feelings from my consciousness -- to my detriment. My wife and I are good friends, but are not intimately close and haven't been in a few years. All my fault -- but now I know why and its pretty liberating. I don't have any sexual or relationship experience with guys and the future is pretty damn scary; at least I feel more authentic just admitting it to myself.

So, my wife and I are talking this weekend and I'm going to tell her. I owe it to her not to wait any longer. I know I'm moving quickly -- since I've only admitted this to myself less than a month ago. But, I don't have any doubt about myself and I feel like delaying this is only going to hurt her more. I don't know what the future holds and I don't know exactly why I'm writing all this -- although it does assuage the anxiety some to be sending this to an empathetic crew, like you guys. I'm scared about the future of coming out to others and actually having relationships with men, but telling my wife is the first big step.

If you have any positive comments to get me through this coming weekend, I would appreciate it. And any advice on how to go about this conversation with my wife would be great. I have so much I want to say to her, but keep self censoring the script in my head -- mostly to soften the blow to her. Thanks in advance.

2. maybgayguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't have any advice but I will be thinking of you. I came out to my therapist a few days ago. It has rocked my world and I haven't been able to think of anything else but coming out.

Message me anytime...best of luck

3. MOGUY

Might help to provide a little more information: kids, married how long, etc. Good luck and take it slowly. Don't make any major decisions until the dust has settled after telling her.

4. Pete1970

Good luck.

5. TAXODIUM

Best of luck on your journey.

6. WhyFreudWhy

Thanks for the support. Married six years and no kids. Up until the 23rd, I was going on as usual, planning a future with her. We planned to have kids, but with our overseas experience it hasn't happened. I don't understand how this happened so suddenly--I now know that I knew this all along, but the suppression, repression, excuses to myself were so strong. I don't know what triggered this realization on that night, but I'm glad it happened. I started seeng a therapist last week and came out to her. That felt good afterwards, but the anxiety about telling my wife and my whole life changing/coming apart is all encompassing. She is such a caring, generous, amazing person and I hate that I am doing this to her....too many emotions to process. I come from a family that doesn't talk about feelings or emotions, so I'm not skilled at it, not even thinking about/analyzing my own. I just hope that after talking to her, things will be clearer and some of the anxiety goes away so I can deal with the next steps. I know it won't be easy.

7. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few thoughts and areas of preparation before coming out to your wife.

Script - Prepare a script of what you want to say. Brainstorm possible questions and your response, such as, how long have you known?

Legal - I usually suggest consulting with a divorce lawyer before hand, given that there appears to have been no infidelity and you have no children and hence no custody issues, this is extra credit.

Communication - After you come out, keep the lines of communication open and continue to have the difficult conversations with your wife.

Therapist - You may want to try to find an individual and couples therapist with LGBT experience. You would benefit from a therapist to help you process and understand your feelings. The couples therapist would be beneficial in working through issues. Hopefully your wife has a therapist or trusted friend she can talk with to help her process her feelings.

Grieving process - Your wife needs time to process the news. She will most likely go through the grieving process - Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance stages.

Coming out plan - You may want to have a conversation with your wife about who to tell and when so that you have a controlled coming out plan.

Sex - Given the open communication, it's possible that the two of you may engage in more sex than usual. This is typical. Keep in mind that at some point she may unconsciously start to use sex as a way to bond and keep you in the marriage. When this happens, it is more humane to stop having sex and discuss it with her, rather than to lead her on.

Good luck!

#7 SiennaFire, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  8. Bluesteel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best of luck this weekend. I hope all goes well for you.
    Don't forget to update us on how it went...

@siennafire
    That is some really good advice I had to save it for when I come out to my wife. Lol thanks.

#8 Bluesteel, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  9. ssxElise

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi.
    Just wanted to say good luck to you. Hope it goes well for you.

SiennaFire: That´s a great list. Already working on most of those things.

10. Chrissy81

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi WhyFreudWhy (love that nick!) and welcome to EC.

I can really relate to your epiphany. Same thing happened to me when I was 29. From one moment to the other I went from fully believing I was straight to fully believing I was gay. And it was really scary! I was so stressed that I just had to talk to someone then, so I did. Since then I have pretty much locked it all inside (yes, I have become quite used to this big closet of mine by now). But talking is - of course - the way to go. So best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

11. JohnnyWisdom

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck, WhyFreudWhy.

Be honest is the best advice I can give. Don't sugarcoat anything or back down once you start because it will all come out eventually. This doesn't mean you have to tell her every single thought you've ever had, but she deserves the truth.

Be prepared for her to be angry - I expected my wife to rage but she didn't. Expect her to cry - my wife did, for days, at unexpected times. Expect lots of questions and expect her to want to keep it secret until "you are sure." Give her this time, but make sure she understands that in time you'll want to come out to others. I let my wife tell her friends on her own time but with the knowledge that I was also going to start telling people - my parents, my brother, my friends.

We both have LGBT friendly therapists - hers is straight, mine is gay - but they both understand the situation.

You can do this and IT WILL GET BETTER.

12. WhyFreudWhy

Thanks again for all the words of encouragement and advice.

SiennaFire--very helpful list, thank you.

JohnnyWisdom -- thanks for the advice. I think they'll be more crying than anything. She doesn't really get angry, at least I haven't ever seen her really angry about anything. But I guess you never know.

I'll update you all on how it goes.

Wishing I had some Xanax,
    WFW