1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual and questioning

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by dirtyshirt84, Jan 21, 2016.

1. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am bisexual and have been married to a man for 5 years and felt quite happy until recently when I started to have a huge crush on a female co-worker who is gay. I realized I was bisexual when I started a relationship with my ex-girlfriend when was 20 and have also slept with another girl since then. So it was not a surprise to me to have a crush on a girl :icon_wink but I was surprised by the strength of my feelings for her – feeling like a teenager and having butterflies in my stomach every time I saw her, thinking about her all the time etc!

My husband has always known I am bisexual and has been supportive about it and I think he suspects my crush. Anyway, it has made me really question my relationship with him and if I would be happier in a relationship with a woman…or if there is something missing it our relationship for me to feel like this about someone else?

Although close friends and some family know I’m bisexual I’m not very open about it and have never told anyone at work (although think I may feel happier if I was more open about it?) As I work in a small office I think my crush is pretty obvious and now I think my co-workers wonder about my sexuality. I’m sure the coworker I had a crush on knows I like her, I’m not sure whether she also likes me, although she also has a partner and I think it may be a bad idea for anything to happen given we are both in serious relationships.

I wondered if anyone had been in a similar situation. Any advice much appreciated!

#1 dirtyshirt84, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No matter what if you keep meeting new people you are always bound to find someone who is more attractive and who you have stronger feelings than towards your current partner. The key is to know are you happy with your current relationship. If you are happy with your current partner, is there any point in changing? If you are not, then don't stick around. Having a crush and falling in love are chemical process in the brain. Those feelings will go away over time.

3. bi2me

I've been married for 13 years and with my husband for nearly 20. About 18 months ago, I realized I had strong feelings for my high school best friend (whom I had been intimate with in high school, but never really identified as bisexual). I'm working through all the possibilities, and while I don't want to leave my husband and family, I sometimes get angsty.

No real advice, but plenty of empathy. Let me know more details as you want and I'll see if there's any more help I can give you. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

4. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. I guess I have to figure out if I really am still happy in my relationship. I've had crushes before but nothing like this! But you are right, a crush is a chemical process and you can't do much about it apart from probably wait for it to go away. I'm hoping I can be friends with my co-worker but maybe it's just not realistic...

---------- Post added 21st Jan 2016 at 12:57 PM ----------

Thanks Bi2Me. Did you tell your friend how you felt? I know what you mean about getting angsty. I thought about telling my co-worker how I felt but decided against it. There was definitely flirting but I think she is happy in her relationship with her girlfriend and I didn't want things to get really awkward!

5. bi2me

I think figuring out if you are happy is the first thing. I'm mostly happy (which I think is about all someone can expect), and I can't imagine any one person making me happier, so I'm glad to stay.

I also have strong feelings for my best friend (which are to some degree reciprocal - we haven't talked out how strong her feelings are) which were there in high school, dormant for nearly 20 years when we were largely out of touch, and back as soon as I saw her again for more than a couple of hours at a friend's wedding reception/vacation. I think those are different than just a crush, and I'm not sure what to do with them.

On the other hand, I've got a bit of a crush on the mom of one of my daughter's friends. I think that one is in check, but still makes me long for something I can't have at least with where our relationship stands right now.

I think a lot about what I want vs what I need. I know I need my husband. I know I want (and maybe/probably need) some female companionship. At the moment, I've got my long distance best friend. We would both love to add a physical component to the friendship at some point, but it's not in the cards right now. For now, our husbands are ok with hugs and physical closeness that doesn't cross "the line".

So, that's where I am. I don't know if that helps at all...

6. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, that definitely helps, think there are some similarities in our situations.

I think for the most part I am happy with my husband (we also have a toddler), and I know I'd be lost without him, we have been through a lot together. I think being bisexual (for me anyway), there is maybe always an element of wanting/wondering about the sex you are not with?

Sounds like you and your friend definitely have a strong connection - I can understand that it must be difficult to know what to do with those feelings. Still, a great thing to have though! I think my feelings are definitely just a crush, I haven't worked with my co-worker for all that don't and don't know her that well yet. I think there is a chemistry though.

I take it your friend is bisexual too? It's great that your husbands are ok with it as well. I think being honest with my husband has really helped me a lot.

---------- Post added 21st Jan 2016 at 01:52 PM ----------

What do you think regarding telling some/all of my co-workers I'm bisexual? Do you think it sounds like a good idea given the situation?

7. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What do you hope it would achieve? If you are planning to stay with your husband why would it be relevant to tell her? Since you are not out in your work place I gather your policy is to tell only to close friends. Is this said colleague a close friend who you would feel comfortable telling this if she was not lesbian?

8. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry perhaps that wasn't clear - the reason I am considering telling them (as I said it's a small office and I only work with a few people) is because I feel like they are now speculating about my sexuality because of the obvious crush. Whether it's a good idea to tell the girl I have a crush on I'm not sure - although I think she obviously guesses I'm not straight. But I was considering possibly telling a straight co-worker who I do consider to be a friend. Although only my close friends know I would like to be more open about it but telling everyone at work seems like a big step.

9. bi2me

I've told quite a few mutual friends, and for the most part they are very supportive. I have one friend who is kind of judgmental about the potential non-monogamy the situation implies, but I'm very against cheating, so unless my marital rules changed, nothing more will happen. I think her judgmentalness says more about her than me, and I don't mind having a "devil's advocate" position being presented.

I'm not officially out to my parents or less close friends, but I'm also extremely supportive of LGBT causes, so anyone who thinks about it probably knows.

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is more than monogamy in the world, Euler. The OP's choices are not limited to "leave your husband", "forget this other person", or "cheat" (which I would not recommend under any circumstance).

Seems to me that if it's affecting your working relationship, there *could* be value in simply having it out...though there could also be value in keeping it to yourself. But the bigger communication issue here (to my eye) is that you might consider talking to your husband. There is huge comfort simply in being open, honest, transparent, and giving yourself permission to discuss difficult feelings with a loved one.

11. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sure but OP didn't say they got an open relationship and I gather from her posts that she is not into cheating either.

12. bi2me

I think this (bolded) part is especially important. Ideally your life partner, but someone else as well, might be able to help you through this. I've got my husband, and a very close friend who came out to me as bi gender about a year ago. This friend and I talk about 1-2 times a month for at least an hour and can talk totally openly without fear of hurting anyone's feelings.

13. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think there is any need to address the issue unless you want to. They might have their suspicions but so what? My own policy is that I answer truthfully if asked directly. To vague inquiries and hints I play dumb and just ignore them.

BTW, what makes you think that everyone suspects something? I mean you may feel that you act weirdly but it might not be that obvious to others. I always feel that people can read me like an open book but time after time it turns out it is not the case.

14. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for all the replies. To be honest it is affecting my working relationship, our desks are really close and we have to spend some time alone together so I would like to be able get on without it being awkward. I wouldn't want it to get to the stage I would have to move jobs because of it.

I have spoken to my husband about it without going into too much detail about the crush and I also have one close friend who I have talked to about everything which has really helped (she is understanding although is very against cheating and also likes and gets on well with my husband).

Euler, I would also answer truthfully if asked directly (which may happen eventually). Another co-worker is also gay so there are a lot of conversations about being LGBT and LGBT issues etc. So while I'm not lying I think they know there is something I'm not saying. But you are right I don't need to address it unless I want to and feel comfortable doing so.

I think one co-worker actually thought we were having an affair at one point, there were comments about us arriving at the office together (we just bumped into each other in the street outside) and after we had spent one lunch time together a co-worker asked if I had told my husband about us spending time together. There was quite obvious flirting as well and always paying compliments to each other etc. It is not really like this now I should add, I think since going back to work after the holidays we have distanced ourselves a bit.

15. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi I'm 42 and have only just fully come into being a gay women --
    Previously I was bi sexual or heterosexual -

For me now there is no ' I might be with a man - it's gone --
    When I fully came into being a gay women it just seemed to happen to me - I woke up
    Looking back now - the sex was never right with men - the relationships never felt emotionally enough for me and I always seemed to wear the trousers -
    My last partner of 4 yrs I loved him and we did fall in love but ....
    And now I know what the but was --

It's strange really because I wonder now if I was just acting heterosexual because that's what I expected of me -- I at times strongly rejected even being bi - even against all the evidence --

I guess for you - it's about looking at the relationship your in and asking yourself 'are you happy and how might it be having a gay relationship - what might be different ( apart from the obvious )
    Are u willing to give up what you've got ?
    Are u being honest to yourself about your gay orientation or is it that you need time to find out who u really are ...

16. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry for the late reply coscious rose - those are all good questions to ask myself. I have been thinking a lot lately about 'who I really am', I kind of feel like this crush has happened to me for a reason...

17. rachael1954

dirtyshirt84 - these feelings are definitely normal here in the LGBT later in life area!

For me, the emotion knocked my on my ass so hard I am tempted to leave my relationship of ~20 years. Because I never felt so strongly for anyone before her. Not once. And giving him up would be like cutting off my leg. And giving her up would be like cutting off my right arm.

You say you felt quite happy until this happened. Is your relationship with your husband what you would consider normal/happy/well-adjusted? I thought my marriage was perfect, until I met her and realized I was missing many things that I didn't really want to miss. That is an element to look at. You have a child and that is another element.

The bisexuality many married women have found that it is a "want" rather than a "need." But others are so strongly drawn to other women that they would leave a perfect hetero marriage.

So unfortunately it is a lot of trying to follow your feelings. Which may be unclear. It may be wise to sit with your feelings for a while and just embrace them for what they are. As you said, with work and everything it's complicated, so while attacking her in the broom closet may seem like a great idea at times, your composure and dignified way you have handled this so far makes me think that you will be just fine!

Did you and your husband (when you first were together) have the passion, the chemistry?

18. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Rachel, good to speak to people in a similar situation!

I can relate to this, definitely the emotion...

I think my relationship with my husband is fairly normal/well adjusted, we still have a good sex life and get on well. I don't know if maybe we had started to take our relationship for granted a little after having a baby. One thing I wonder if there is an emotional element in a relationship with another woman that I am missing (if that makes sense?)

I guess this is the question I am asking myself just now and struggling to answer...

To be honest while I think she does find me attractive and started all the flirting I think she is happy with her gf (and talks about marrying her) and I don't think she wants to cheat and neither do I. So I don't think anything will happen...although she sends me some pretty mixed signals at times... Attacking her in the broom closet...haha :icon_wink I hope we can be friends but maybe I am just kidding myself there... Its just so hard to get over my feelings for her when I see her everyday at work.

When my husband and I first got together there was definitely chemistry and passion and having sex all the time as you do at the start of a relationship :icon_wink But the sexual energy I feel for her is crazy...I don't remember feeling like this about anyone before. I also wonder if there is an element of wanting what I can't have too...

19. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

#19 dirtyshirt84, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  20. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you don't want to leave your job I wouldn't recommend having a relationship at work. Not exactly the direction most of the conversation has been going, but if you like your job and are happy there that is a very big deal.

I have two different sets of straight married friends that have gone though similar. One has a huge crush on a coworker. She's been married for about 18 years and looking at it from the outside I think she is I nterested in someone that doesn't have the same hang ups as her husband. The other friend was so infatuated with a woman that he tanked his marriage. When his and his wife's relationship was over, the girlfriend wasn't as interesting and intense because she wasn't "forbidden" anymore. He really regrets his actions, he said that he couldn't see past the new relationship excitement to reality or the future. My point is that getting crushes outside of your relationship straight, bi, gay, etc is completely normal. What you said about the sexual energy with her being crazy reminded me a lot of my second friend. I knew he was cheating and he told me at the time that he had never felt so much with another person, like love in hyper drive.