1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused and Scared

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by E L B, Jan 22, 2016.

1. E L B

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am a 29 year old woman who is confused. I like both men and women, but seem to more attracted to women. I have never been with a woman because it is a sin, but I am not happy about lying to everyone. I can't come out since my family won't understand and will probably disown me. I don't know what to do. Can someone provide advice?

2. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi ELB,

There are many of us in here who are confused and have had a difficult time tryin to sort things out. Know that you are not alone. I can tell by you saying that you cannot be with a woman Bc it's a sin that you have a religious background. I come from that as well, raised Catholic. For so long it was drilled into me that same sex relationships are a sin and that the only path and the right path to take in life is to marry a man (if you're a woman) and vice versa. I was very conflicted when in my teens I fell in love with my best friend, who was female and fought hard with those feelings...ignoring them and repressing them for years. As the good Catholic girl I am I married a man, had two kids and live in the suburbs. Never acted on my feelings for my friend and to this day it is one of my biggest regrets. Actually my biggest regret is not allowing myself to fell what I was feeling for her and being ok with it and not punishing myself for it.

Today I love my family and am so thankful for my kids I would not change that. What I wish I would of done was not stifled my pull towards women. I would have allowed myself to love whomever I loved and enjoy it---not punish myself for it.

We only have one life to live, and for me I have found that it is a sin not to allow ourselves to love who we want to love and be with who we want to be with.

My family is traditional and very old fashioned. I worry at times how some of my family would view me if I was with a woman. But I also know that I finally love who I am and part of me this attraction I have for women. I want to be happy. I am currently married and have no plans on leaving but I have accepted my love for women and will follow my path where it leads. You never know...

Good luck. Always here to talk...