1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Solidarity2016, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Solidarity2016

Hello all,

I’m a thirty-year-old man from the North Carolina that’s struggling to come to terms with my sexuality. While I’ve secretly questioned my sexuality since I was a teenager, recently, I’ve been driven to deal head-on with this issue and contemplate the prospect of living my life as a gay or bisexual man. The driving force behind this change is my separation last year from my wife and longtime partner, who I’ve been married to for several years and had been in a relationship with for a decade.

I wanted to share my story here, as I’ve been following this forum for several weeks now, and I’ve found it to be tremendously helpful to read the stories of other people that have traveled similar paths as my own.

To begin with, despite a lifetime of denial, I now realize that my primary sexual attraction is to other men. On the Kinsey scale, I probably register at a five. To paraphrase another poster on this forum, I am functionally bisexual but primarily gay.

Growing up in the conservative South, I learned to suppress and deny these feelings. From a young age, it was always inculcated in me that the worst thing anyone could ever be was a “faggot.” (I apologize for using this heinous word, but I know of no other way to express the type of homophobia that surrounded me growing up.) On top of this, my father has always been an extremely homophobic person. (Fortunately, my mother – who is divorced from him and lives out-of-state with her second husband – does not share my father’s bigoted views.) As a result of this, from puberty onward, I’ve been in a state of denial and, at times, self-hatred about my sexuality. Until recently, I had never even allowed myself to fantasize or entertain romantic thoughts about being with other men – only women. Anytime I’ve ever found myself attracted to a man, I’ve always immediately pushed away the thought and been stricken with a sense of shame. Needless to say, as I’ve grown older, such suppression has become increasingly distressing on an emotional level and difficult to sustain.

As noted above, until my wife and I separated last year, I had been in a committed relationship with her for years – since we were in college. After getting married several years ago, the two of us then split up (or, more accurately, my wife made the decision to leave me) last spring. At the time she left me, my life was in a mess: I was heavily addicted to an attention-deficit-disorder drug, which, until recently, I had been prescribed to take for years. I was also in a deep state of depression – a condition that often manifested itself as an anger problem. But despite our painful separation, and despite the fact that my wife now lives across the country, the two of us are still extremely close. We talk every day on the phone and we still tell each other, “I love you.” Over the holidays, we also saw each other, spent several nights together, and made love when she came to town for a week. Notably, my wife has been phenomenally supportive as I’ve grappled with questions about my sexuality and struggled with deep depression. (I first told her a few months ago that I think I might be bisexual or gay.) All in all, I love and trust my wife more than anyone in the entire world; regardless of where life leads us in the future, I know that I want to have her in my life. At this point, though, the two of us are still figuring out just what our relationship is and will be.

Unfortunately, at present, my long-distance relationship with my wife is one of the only sources of optimism and support that I have. To put it mildly, my current situation is downright depressing. In terms of work, I am presently employed as a low-wage temp worker at a crappy non-union factory in the area. The atmosphere on the shopfloor at work is characterized, to some extent, by the same type of homophobia that I’ve been surrounded by my entire life. Thus, at work, I find myself falling into the same habit that I’ve always adopted around others: I present myself as being completely straight. I tell people that my wife and I are planning on getting back together; I flirt with girls; and I talk with male co-workers about girls. Doing this often has the effect of forcing me back into a state of internal denial and self-loathing. On top of this, the pay at my job is so low that it poses a serious obstacle to securing my own independence and finding a path forward. Because of the low pay, for the past several months, I’ve been living at my dad’s house and attempting to save up enough money to move out on my own. Needless to say, living with my dad – someone who would likely never, ever accept me if I were to come out – is very difficult and has the effect of forcing me further into the closet. Fortunately, at this point, I’ve managed to save up some money – though it’s clear that I’m going to have to find a better job before I can set out on my own.

Beyond this, on a strictly emotional level, there are a number of issues that I’ve been struggling with in terms of my sexuality. At this point, it’s very hard to imagine living my life as a gay or bisexual man. While I’ve made some progress in this regard – thanks, in part, to the assistance of a therapist that I’ve been seeing for about two months – I still find it difficult to even look at other men and allow myself to find them attractive. After years of internally denying my attraction to the same sex and forcing myself to flirt exclusively with women, it’s tough to break out of this cycle. All this is exacerbated by the fact that, at this point, I have no idea where I could go to meet other gay people in person or find a real-life support network of people that have gone through what I’m currently going through.

Where is this “gay community” that I hear so much about?

Also, how will I overcome my own internalized homophobia and fear of being gay?

How will I find the courage to come out of the closet to old friends and family members – most of whom, I’m sad to say, I have avoided being in contact with since separating from my wife?

2. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Solidarity,

Welcome to EC. You are most certainly in the right place.

While the circumstances of our lives are pretty different, I identified very strongly with your relationship with your wife. I'm in a similar situation: my relationship with my wife is probably the only real loving and supportive relationship I have (in my case, due to my own withdrawal and isolation, not societal homophobia).

From what I can tell, it seems your most immediate challenge is to change some of the practical circumstances of your life. You're living and working in a highly toxic environment, and you need to find a way out.

Obviously this is easier said than done. My understanding is that not all of NC is as conservative as your area. Perhaps you could go on job boards closer to major cities or liberal areas such as Asheville? There are a lot of resources online. Maybe something like driving for Uber?

Or look for work close to an old friend or relative that would let you stay with them for a bit? Surely not all are as closed-minded as your dad.

Or maybe contact an LGBT center in Durham or Raleigh, try to explain your situation and see if they can offer any advice. Sometimes they even have jobs available.

Sometimes people even get up and leave without having a plan. If your savings can last for a month or two at an inexpensive motel near an urban center, you can pound the pavement on foot and look for work that way (may be more effective for manual-type labor).

What I'm getting at is that you're going to have to get creative. Because it seems pretty clear there is no good way to come out in your current situation.

You don't have to explain anything to anyone, and it's ok to ask for help.

My sense from reading your post was that you're living in a pressure cooker, and I sincerely hope you can make your way out of it. Once you do, I think you'll be more free to explore who you are and work on the relationships in your life.

I hope this is helpful, but even if it's not -- there's lots of others here to help.

3. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just wanted to add one thing.

Try not to get down on yourself for faking it around your dad and colleagues. You are doing what you have to do to survive, and you're not hurting anyone. This is how you're maintaining some degree of safety in an unmanageable situation -- it's your right.

4. TAXODIUM

"Functionally bi but basically gay" : can I get some royalties on that copyright, please ?? ;p

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2016 at 05:08 PM ----------

And to reinforce what Nerdbrain said, we all have our coping and compensating mechanisms. In a joint therapy session with my wife, I said this :
    -Every breath I take and every blink of my eyes is a calculated attempt to hide it. When I meet someone or I am in a group of people, I stand with my hands held behind my back so I won't gesticulate to much. I lower my voice an octave to sound more straight. Every second of my life is spent trying to be suspected. It's exhausting trying to hide when you're the faggot elephant in the room.

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2016 at 05:21 PM ----------

Ugh. Typing on iPad means errors. That *should* read :

"Every second of my life is spent trying NOT to be suspected."

5. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want the copyright on that one please!

Attached Files:

6. ecallan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey Solidarity,

I'm sorry about your circumstances, it's easy for me to say I know how you feel, but no one honestly knows unless they're you. I also live in North Carolina, so I completely understand the bigotry here. I just came out as bisexual and my family is just like yours, so I completely understand that. I too wonder where the gay community is, especially since I just came out to one person. It's why I'm here getting support like you are. I've heard many mention PFAG and I've done a little research and found 2 close to me that if I wanted to I could attend meetings and call for support if I wanted to. I'm not sure where you are in NC, but I know there are many in NC. I"m sure there's one near you. Just like you found this site, I found advocacy sites on social media that I joined that would at least give me the lasted LGBT news so I would be informed. It's been helpful and I did make one friend so far from the site. As far as my social life, as strange as it seems, my husband takes me to a local club to meet people. That may not be ideal for you but it works for me. I hope this helps.