1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about future.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by matty336, Jan 28, 2016.

1. matty336

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've heard a lot bad things happening to gay couple's later in life, such as violent attacks, partner leaving them as the whole gay thing was just a phase, getting fired due to sexual orientation.

I know that I unfortunately can't change who I find sexually attractive but being in a gay relationship I feel would give me a lot of anxiety. Hardly anyone knows I'm gay and I guess what I'm asking is whether or not I should hide it.

2. Ryuji35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am more concerned on the Gay Partner leaving them..... that's quite sad! but anyway,
    just test the waters first. I would usually say "be out and proud" but if you're living like, for example, in Russia or a state controlled by ISIS, that would be the poorest option to do.

Is your country hostile to gay people?

3. matty336

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, yet the are neighbourhood I live in doesn't seem too keen on it. :frowning2:

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I read once and I don't remember the exact number but it said something like 95% of things that people worry about will actually never happen. What I want to say is that it's totally good for nothing to put your thoughts and energy in something this useless.
    Moreover it's like with the news on the TV when the vast majority of what they broadcast is bad news. It doesn't mean that there are not gay people who have happy lives, it's just rare to hear about it because drama sells much better. (*hug*)

I used to be a big worrier myself but in the end I realized it's just a waste of my time and energy. If something bad happens to me I'll deal with it when the time comes. When I notice I get lost in scenarios about what bad could happen in the future I usually just stop and start to focus on what is going on right now and try to stay connected to the presence. By the way the present moment is actually the only time when we have any control over. :icon_wink Sometimes I try to redirect my thoughts and start thinking about things that I'm grateful for in my life instead and thank the Universe for them. It helps to keep me in balance.

5. Shadowsylke

Yes, this.

Anything bad can happen to anyone at any time. It doesn't mean that it will.

It also doesn't mean that you shouldn't put yourself out there and find a relationship and love someone. No one is guaranteed happiness, but if you let yourself get trapped by fear and the "what ifs", then you will never do anything and you will pretty much guarantee yourself the absence of happiness.

And with that in mind, it seems to me that there is only one way forward.