1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Late to the demigender party

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by DemiGrrl, Jan 30, 2016.

1. DemiGrrl

Out Status:
    A few people
    I turn 42 in about a month and finally, after all these years, I have a word for what I am.

When I was young, a girl who didn't conform to the expectations of female gender was a tomboy. Young women were supposed to outgrow their tomboy ways and become, well, women. I never outgrew my tomboy ways. I never outgrew my enjoyment of "boyish" things, my very unfeminine interests, or my love of gender-neutral and/or masculine clothing. I never "progressed" to the point where I wanted to change my body physically. But still, forty years after I started fighting my parents when they wanted to put me in a dress, I still hate wearing them. (I'll wear a long, flowy, comfy skirt now and then, because it's a chance to wear dressy sandals and show off my metallic blue pedicure, but that's about it.) I dress marginally feminine for work, because I have to, but as soon as I get home, I change into jeans or cargo crop pants, Tevas and a T-shirt, because those are the clothes that I feel comfortable in. Those are the clothes I feel *me* in.

It feels really weird, a little embarassing, and extremely validating to finally have a word to describe the thing I am that for years I was certain wasn't really a legitimate "thing."

It's both a little freaky and a relief to finally be at this place, almost forty-two years into this life of mine.

But I guess it's better late than never, right? :newcolor:

2. Lipstick Leuger

I am so happy for you! Welcome out!

3. DemiGrrl

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! It means a lot :slight_smile: Glad to be here. To know that I have "peopl." :eusa_danc after spending decades feeling very alone in this regard.