1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What next?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by bette, Feb 2, 2016.

1. bette

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi All
    Have come out to 2 friends and my therapist. What do I do now? Part of me feels really scared by what the future holds and part of me wants to get out there and tell everyone. I am thinking of going to a gay bar in the nearest city with a friend but am really nervous about taking that step as I feel it will be full of young people(I am 40) and I feel will be out of place. I feel there is a whole new world out there but am struggling to see where I will fit in.

2. Really

Unless you particularly like to go to bars, I might look around for something you're more interested in to check out. Maybe your local LGBT resource centre has activities that might appeal or some meetup.com group whose primary purpose is some activity you're comfortable with and advertised as for an LGBT/lesbian "audience". You might even like something "for women only". It won't specifically be for gay women but there might be and you'll get a chance to practice your gaydar. :slight_smile:

Welcome to EC and all the rest of this... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just go to the gay bar, especially if you're able to go with a friend. A gay bar is just a bar with gay people in it, usually of all ages. Mostly it's just people sitting around shooting the shit with a couple of drinks in them. The worst that can happen is that you are totally ignored. I say worst because the whole point of going is to get to know other gay people, which is a therapy in itself. Also, 40 is NOT old!