1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression, how to break the cycle?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Feb 5, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depression is interesting. One component of depression is pain. Pain hurts.

To combat depression I've learned I have to identify what I'm depressed about. Example: mom does not love me because I'm gay.

OK fine now that I've identified this emotional snake pit, what do I do to get out?

Any quick ideas on how to climb out of this pit?

#1 brainwashed, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    brainwashed,

If you are clinically depressed (see Major Depression (Clinical Depression) Symptoms, Treatments, and More) then you really need to seek professional treatment, either through a psychiatrist or therapist who can determine appropriate treatment options. Major/clinical depression is a real illness that's difficult to self-treat, so please seek professional help.

#2 SiennaFire, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, depression is a sickness, and at the same time I'd say it's a state of the mind that can be triggered by both your own personality and the way you look at life, your life.
    There can be quick ideas, but not permanent solutions when it comes from your own person.

I've found it's better to talk about what bothers you, before it becomes too big of an issue to handle on your own. I'm not sure of where do you stand right now, but if you have major depression, then you should follow Sienna's advice, 'cause it can get quite nasty if you don't take care about it now.

4. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Typically, the strategy for dealing with depression is to use drugs to manage the pain while you work with a therapist to come to terms with the underlying emotional issues.

There are plenty of antidepressants out there. They don't make you suddenly feel amazing; they basically just raise the bottom level that you can get to. The lows aren't as low.

This helps with day to day life.

But you do eventually need to deal with the issues that caused the pain in the first place. Which means deciding what to do about your mom. Lots of ways that could go:

• Does she really not love you or do you just think she won't?
    • If she really doesn't love you, can you find a way to move past that? Do you need her approval to live your life?
    • If you aren't sure where she stands, maybe you should talk to her.
    • Etc.

This process usually requires talking to a therapist or counselor who can help you work through these issues.

Good luck!

5. MOGUY

I agree completely with the posts above. I'll add a thought: decide who you give authority to define yourself. It took years for me to reach the point that I gave ME the authority to define me and that's who should define each of us; ourselves. If you are into reading, please get "Urgings of the Heart" by Wilkie Au and Noreen Cannon and "The Holy Longing" by Ron Rolheiser. Even if you don't consider yourself Christian or even spiritual, these books may help. Take care.

6. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. confused04

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    that was a wonderful video, thanks for posting it!

8. latenlife lez

I deal with depression day in and day out- I do therapy both chemical and counseling.

Start with counseling- and discuss chemical with that person- while they may not prescribe it they are certainly well versed on the drugs.

Do therapy for a while. What I find that helps on days of low- is to make sure I have a safe person around- not hovering over me with concerned eyes-- but just chilling and then I do a craft-I am one of those- if I can distract my thoughts with something else- I feel better- and I learn my triggers (what made me sad to begin with) and then I work on a plan to not engage them with my counselor.

I hope this helps- I am sorry for the pain--I hope your begin to be rid of it sooner rather than later- keep posting for support