1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And he went to his grave a virgin...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BMC77, Feb 9, 2016.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I might as well order my tombstone now with an inscription saying: "He went to his grave a virgin."

I think I've made this crack a number of times here. To a degree, of course, it's just a crack.

But...deep down, a part of me wonders if this isn't going to be the truth about me. I look at myself in the mirror, and I cannot imagine what guy in his right mind would want to go on a single date with me, let alone date long enough that we might start playing bed sheet bingo.

Yes, I see that can be an issue, comes the voice from the back of the Later in Life audience. But surely there must be gay men who are blind?

Yes. I suppose there might be a blind man out there. But...looks are only the start of the miserable package that is me. I'm not sure my personality has much marketable value. And, past that, there are some cold, hard financial realities. Not many guys in their right mind would want to be involved with poor white trash.

Of course, I suppose there is possibility of casual sex via, say, a hookup app on my non-existent smart phone. Or one of those thought provoking ads on craigslist. Or--maybe better--a gay bar. A guy who has had a few drinks might not find my looks as lacerating to his eyeballs as he'd find them when fully sober. Or, I could perhaps be like the guy in junior high who was busy saving up his pennies so he could retain the services of a prostitute.

And yet, I can't see myself being comfortable with having casual sex.

So...I find myself trapped between the clichéd rock and hard place. A relationship is realistically not viable. A hookup is--for me--a bad idea.

I sometimes have half wished I could have had some sort of fling when I was in high school or college. Even a circle jerk during the non-existent sleepovers with my non-existent friends.

Back to the present... Maybe I can change something that improves my odds... I have thought that. I think that "self improvement" was an idea I had the months after joining EC. And yet, I have hit a point of despair that things can chance. Cash flow has been one huge issue I've cited again and again in the nearly 3 years I've been here. And yet, that has not improved. Indeed, it's at a point where a few months ago I was giving thought to suicide. Anything to escape poverty.

Of course, in the end, the situation is the way it is. Intellectually, I realize this. But at the same time, there is a deep sadness.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not my place, or the place of anybody else on this forum to seek to invalidate your feelings. It's how you perceive yourself and to some extent we have to accept that, but if you look at everything you wrote again can you see how catastrophic it all sounds? Would it be unfair to say that you are living to your own labels - labels that are without question pretty self defeating? It sounds like the negative internal dialogue has taken over and left you going through the motions and I do understand how that happens because I've had my own battles with depression.

If we begin to evaluate our lives in the most negative terms and define ourselves by a really awful set of standards we do become complicit in our own downfall as we live out that sense of hopelessness every day. Wrestling back control and thinking better of ourselves is not easy, but if we make that our habit (instead of habitually reducing our life to a meaningless existence) it can, and often does lead to an upward curve. Of course, it doesn't mean life will be without its challenges and struggles, but if we approach these situations in a different way, instead of checking out and resigning ourselves to a bleak future it can boost our self esteem as we begin to overcome what life has dealt us.

I know it all sounds like warm words and the stuff of a self help manual, but it really is true. It's not easy when you have been a rut for a very long time and I don't want it to appear that I'm suggesting otherwise, because I know how incredibly hard it is to fight back against the despondency and reality of being dead broke (financially and emotionally), but it can be done and I'm sure you can find a way out of this. It starts when you believe it.

3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Regrets BMC77 - I'm not going to be able to join the pity party. Don't get me wrong, I used to indulge in negative self-talk with the best of them until I realized I was stupid for invalidating myself. A complete moron. The game is simple - I could choose to be happy by loving myself given my reality of being gay and or choose to be miserable by invalidating myself for not being perfect in straight fantasy land. Eventually I woke up. Got help. Stopped hurting myself with harsh words and self loathing. Depression got better. Came out. No longer need to pretend to be someone who I was not and all the baggage that comes with it. Life is better.

Where do you want to go? Love and accept yourself for who you are? Strive to improve yourself?

Wherever your journey takes you, we are here to help (*hug*)

#3 SiennaFire, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  4. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's probably your poor self-image that holds you back more than your perceived short-comings. Being gay complicates matters a bit, just because the dating pool is smaller, but there's plenty of ugly, trashy people with bad personalities who have partners, so I think it's unlikely that even if things are as bad as you think, which I doubt, that is what's holding you back.

FWIW, while it's hard to judge someone's personality based on what they post on the Internet, you seem like a pretty decent fella to me. Maybe look into ways you could either improve the aspects of your life that make you unhappy or find ways to accept them?

Everybody has their low points when it seems like nothing can get better, but most of the time things are a) not as bad as we think and b) can and will get better if we're willing to stop getting in our own way.

Hope things look up for you soon. (*hug*)

5. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have my share of issues which I feel may keep me from being "marketable" however some thing I've found......such horrible self-deprication isn't an attractive quality by any means.

6. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, we are here to help, BMC77. EC has been pretty good to me so far and we gotta pass it on! (&&&)

7. confused04

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Depression is a bitch. And it's screaming over your "true" self in this post. I struggle with it, and have loads of self-hatred, so I do understand what you are feeling. I just realized this past weekend how self-hatred truly keeps you stuck right where you are. Much like depression, it wants you to sty stuck and miserable. It's like a parasite feeding off the host, draining it of all energy.

It is SO hard, but could you seek professional help? Therapy and possibly medication could help ease it a bit so that you can see past the darkness, into the light.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey BMC,

I would like to begin with a quote from Albert Ellis:

This may sound counter to the idea that we must love ourselves, but it isn't. The problem with this whole self-esteem business is that it forces us to evaluate ourselves rather that accept ourselves.

Self-evaluation, the global, all-encompassing kind that says negative things like "I'm not good at this" or "I'm not able to do anything" or positive things like "I always pay attention" or "I have so much talent" are in the end illogical and based on trifles that only constitute a small part of the infinitely complicated creatures that we are.

The problem is evaluation itself, which in turn leads to decisions about who and what we are. And when we decide that we are such and such, we have a perverse tendency to behave the way we've decided to be, which, if it is the result of a negative evaluation, will lead to a worsening of our situation.

It sounds ridiculous when you realize that one's entire self-image could be based on some event that, say, happened, once or twice, in the summer of 1982...but that is largely what people who choose to evaluate do; whether it is self-evaluation or the evaluation of others.

Why not try suspending any judgment, positive or negative, of who or what you are? You are NOT what you do, or where you are.

You may say that this discourages self-improvement. Baloney. If a guy who beats his wife and goes to bars ceases doing these nasty things, this does not make him a better human being, but it may make his life more pleasant.

Instead of hoping for true love, or wondering if we are truly loved, why not opt instead to find pleasure in the presence of another? There are several ways to love, not all lead to marriage and happily ever after. These types of love can range from erotic, game-playing, friendship and even (heaven forfend!) pragmatic, with maximum advantages and minimal disadvantages, and finally, altruistic.

To love someone in the mythical sense is to know someone completely...this is impossible (that's why it's a myth). No one can know another completely, hell, no one can know themselves completely! Hence, no one can love another or oneself completely, it will always be partial. That is just something we have to accept, just as we've had to accept our sexual orientation. Free of any judgment or evaluation.

I hope you take this, BMC, not as discounting of your situation. I know it's tough, but what is important is that you find a way to cease evaluating yourself as if all you are is your situation. You are not your situation...There is a lot more there than what you think there is.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks! I'm sorry I'm responding a little late. I was, frankly, quite drained yesterday. A lot point of depression, partly fueled by

I also apologize those who find my posts tiresome and a "pity party." I feel like in a very dark place in my life, but I can imagine it gets tiresome for others to hear about it. Perhaps it's time for me to leave EC, at least for a short break.

10. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, we all have our ups and downs. What's great about EC is you always have people to lend you their ear, regardless of how your feeling!

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As I think of my situation some more... I definitely am dealing with depression. And there is real despair in that so much is wrong in my life--everything from lousy cash flow to difficulty making even the most casual of friends--and no real idea of how to fix any of it.

---------- Post added 10th Feb 2016 at 03:47 PM ----------

I wish I'd had that quote in high school. I got so sick and tired of the :***: self esteem :***: the school kept shoving down our throats. :lol:

Worth thinking about.

I am suddenly reminded of a video of a talk I saw that mentioned the idea of being able to look at issues (particularly "bad" issues) without assigning labels of good, bad, etc.

Which brings me back to the problem of trouble of connecting with others... :bang:

No, I don't!

12. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apologies if you misinterpreted my post. As someone who has experienced the effects of negative self-talk and depression myself, I understand all too well the toll negative self-talk can take on a person. I was hoping that by sharing my own journey from negative self-talk to acceptance I might help you see the possibility for change and a path to move forward, that you need to find a way to accept and be happy with where you are in life.

If you are experiencing major/clinical depression, rather than chronic negative self-talk, then you should definitely seek professional help. Major/clinical depression is way too serious to self-treat.

Hopefully you will continue to engage with EC and try to get to a more self-accepting and self-loving place.

HTH

#12 SiennaFire, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  13. anon004200

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are clearly massively hung up on this issue. If I were you, I would just hook up with someone on a dating app. It doesn't matter if its meaningless or even unpleasant, just do it and get it over with. It will give you confidence to find someone better for the second time.

You need to stop taking yourself so seriously, stop feeling sorry for yourself, chill out, buck up and go for it.

Good luck :slight_smile:

#13 anon004200, Feb 10, 2016
  14. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps if you were to concentrate on just one aspect of your condition — the poverty — you might see some improvement in your life as a whole. I'm not privy to your economic circumstances, but I'm guessing you don't have a regular job or if you do, that it's part time with few/no benefits. From what I read (I'm retired), the job market in the Puget Sound region is thriving. A job — any job — might help you gain some self-respect, and it would also give you the opportunity to interact with coworkers. In addition, some change in your pocket could buy you bus fare into the city, where wickedness is not hard to find. You might even be able to move here: rents are high, but lots of people are sharing (another opportunity to meet people). Pardon me if I've made too many assumptions, but really, with nearly 3,000 posts under your belt, you haven't told us much about your life, other than that you're poor, friendless, a virgin and depressed. Do you live by yourself? Pay rent? On disability? Have relatives? Are you more than an hour from the city? (I seem to remember you're closer than that.) What are the actual circumstances of your life?

#14 Weston, Feb 10, 2016
  15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi BMC,

The "problem" you mention above is a judgment of yourself or your abilities. Let it go, it is not who you are...

16. CharacterStudy

Have you ever read Roald Dahl's 'The Twits'?

“If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”

Judge yourself the way you judge other people. If you go into a shop and the shop assistant is friendly and kind, but incredibly ugly by societal standards, do you come away thinking how ugly he is? No, because if he's made you smile you go away thinking about that person who is now wrapped in a sort of positive aura. Do you look at your friends and judge them by their looks? No you judge them by how nice, honest, kind, funny etc they are. And what if do you see an absolutely gorgeous guy, who is mean, rude, snobby, and makes you feel like shit? You never think again about how they *look*.

Judge yourself with the same respect and compassion you use for other people. You say you have a crap personality and that's hard to judge without knowing you, but your posts seem articulate, well-expressed, there's a hint of humour. Why wouldn't someone want to get to know you?

I don't know if you have a programme called 'The Undateables' where you are, but it is a documentary about people with some very severe facial disfigurements, burns etc, and follows them finding love. After the first few minutes you don't notice what they look like, you notice who they are inside. And many of them find love.

Sure some really shallow people judge on looks alone, but the vast majority of people don't.

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interestingly, I now seem to have hit a level of acceptance, or maybe "don't care" about sex. Sex drive has dropped, and (sorry if this is TMI) I'm not sure I'll ever even care about masturbating again. (I even now wish I'd "not cared" about masturbation years back...how much time I'd have had for other things as a teenager, like homework. :lol:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2016 at 03:20 PM ----------

Yes, if nothing else, there is a huge practical advantage of focusing on cash flow. This is something I'm looking into, but finding answers that work for me and are realistic have been hard to come by.

Live alone in a run down rental (dirt cheap rent by area standards). I'm quite a ways from Seattle. (I list Seattle on my profile simply because it's a city most would recognize quickly.) Indeed, the hassle of getting to Seattle has been an issue: it seems like there is more LGBT stuff there. And yet, it's a pain getting there, and I can't see doing it enough to be able to realistically form connections. (Indeed, I think the last time I was there, Bush was still in office...) Relatives include my father (in the area, but we may or may not see each other very often. There have been long stretches of limited contact--like years long.) All other family is far away, or so distant that I don't actually know the people.

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2016 at 03:23 PM ----------

Maybe it is judgment that should be let go. But...there still is a problem, at least in the sense that I have had zero luck connecting with others. :tears:

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2016 at 03:32 PM ----------

I don't recall reading The Twits, but the title does sound familiar. I certainly recognize the author. I really liked one book (Danny, the Champion of the World. Both when in elementary school, and years later when I read it to my "inner child.")

Not sure if we have that program--but I don't watch TV. (Too cheap to buy cable, and over the air reception is lousy where I am.)

Interestingly, the "who they are inside" reminds me of something. Years back, I knew a woman involved in a study that she summed up as "the closer to closing time it gets in a bar, the more beautiful the women get." They actually had federal funding for this study. And they found that yes, the women did get more beautiful--more accurately, the men's perception was they were more beautiful. Conclusion was that what was happening was that the men were interacting with the women, and seeing more than just their faces as the evening wore on. (This study was, clearly, based on straight people. But the basic conclusion--seeing the person, not the face--seems applicable to LGBT people, too.)

18. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of my ex-girlfriends, when I first met her, one of the first thoughts I had about her was how, for lack of a better word, ugly I thought she was.

I can honestly say, after I actually got to know her, I just quit noticing and it's not that she was such a great person that it made up for, she wasn't, it's just once the new wore off, it wasn't something I really noticed anymore. I guess you could say I became accustomed to her face. I'm not gonna lie and say I ever got to where I found her to be physically "beautiful" or whatever, I just didn't care.

I also find that there's a significant difference between finding someone attractive and thinking they are physically beautiful or handsome or whatever. I think attraction has a lot more to do with just plain how much you like someone and a lot less to do with how much you like the way they look.

19. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember reading your posts a while back when I was around here last time. You seem to have come to a "phase" I've recently experienced where I actually tried full force, to go "cold turkey" with sexuality. It was just too much sadness emerging from the lack of it... so I tried to, as I called it, "mentally castrate myself"... it didn't go too well. After about 38 days I couldn't keep it up anymore, and even then it caused me a lot of physical pain, and psychological pain as well. Please don't follow me on this road because it's very damaging to your health.
    I mean granted I don't know what's next, but I definitely know that depriving yourself of something you can have by default is just going to make things worse. I've been regularly having headaches because I want to share a connection so much. Thankfully university is keeping me busy so I don't have that much time to think about it.

Please, do whatever it takes to feel better because it is sad to see this happening. You need to start collection ideas about what gives you "worth". Look for those things that make you unique, or stand out from the boring masses... many people can't even say "thank you" when you hold the door open for them. But maybe you can! These are the kind of things I'm talking about. You probably have some kind of hobby, or something you enjoy that you are very passionate about. Find others who do the same! Even if it's via the internet. And don't do it with the sole purpose of finding someone, do it because it's great when you got someone to share your passions with like that.
    It doesn't have to be that way you know...

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You raise some good points, EncagedPhoenix.

I'm not sure I'm mentally castrating myself, although that's a possibility, I suppose. It's just suddenly sex drive is gone. Interest is gone. Is it depression? Just a natural cycle? Or is there something inside of me that's just decided the hell with it, time to move onto other things in life. We'll see what happens, I guess.