1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to where I started

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Feb 16, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there. I’ve been away for a while, I guess for lack of a better description, hiding from my feelings, trying to get a better grip on dealing with all the intense emotions I’d been feeling after coming out, so I could find a way to work through them more rationally. For anyone who hasn’t followed my threads in the past, just a quick background - I came out as bi about 5-6 months ago, I’m married with a kid, and have been trying to figure out what coming out means to me in terms of where I am in my life, as a married mom.

So here I am again, and I’m feeling sort of ….lost is too strong of a word, but something like that.

After taking some “time off” from my feelings, I’m back to thinking and introspecting again, and...I just don’t know what I want in terms of my sexuality, in terms of my marriage. So here I am, old (in terms of starting over), married, a mother, for all intents and purposes - living a straight life, having always lived a straight life, and as I’ve told you all before, feeling I’ve lost my chance to be me.

There was a time when I thought I was going to leave my husband. Not solely because of coming out, but based on a myriad of issues in our marriage, and my sexuality was just an additional part of me that highlights our lack of connection. Now I don’t know if I would ever want to leave him. We’ve gotten so far in just the last few months. We have started to really improve our communication, and all of our other issues.

But I don’t feel attracted to him anymore, intimately, romantically, sexually. Do I want a woman? Do I want a man who fits me better? I don’t know anymore.

What would happen if I left him? Do I want to start over? Would I just want to be alone instead?
    Alot of my reasoning earlier for wanting to stay with my husband was to give our relationship as much of a chance as I could, for our daughter. But now… I just don’t even know what I believe in anymore in terms of marriage, love, relationships. I suppose I’ve become jaded. Cold.

I don’t know how to feel things without getting in too deep, so I guess I’m sort of still living in a bit of a bubble. Trying not to feel too much.

But if I was to feel, to let it all make sense...what would it be? I think, maybe, I want it more than ever. To connect to a woman, to let it all go, my inhibitions, just let myself really be with a woman, to hold her, to touch her face, to let her rub my hair, to talk softly to one another. Just visualising this, imagining it feels so right. More natural than anything I’ve felt in a while.

I can’t even begin to guess what I want for the long term. I don’t know if I see myself wanting a person of any particular gender as my life partner. All I know right now is this need for connection with a woman, at least for a little while. It’s deep in me, this need. In terms of a partner, a long term partner, what I want is more hard to visualise...it’s a feeling I can imagine. That sense of really getting each other, a shared connection. I don’t necessarily care if I feel that with a man or a woman. But I don’t feel it right now with my husband. Maybe I could feel that with him, I don’t know. I just know it’s not there right now.

There’s more to a life partnership than that of course, so many mundane details are important to the reality of forming and maintaining a real partnership. And my husband and I are getting somewhere with all of those mundane details. We’re becoming better partners, better co-parents. It took us nearly 9 years to get there.

I am stuck here, in this place, I guess where it all started. Wanting a woman, wanting to explore my sexuality, wanting to understand myself better, not sure how I feel about my marriage, and not sure what to do from here.

Any insights from you all would be welcome, as always :slight_smile:.

#1 baristajedi, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  2. TAXODIUM

Barista : I am in a very similar situation with my wife. I love her dearly and I know she loves me. Even after I told her I'm gay and confessed to being unfaitnful and to falling in love with another married man. Things appear outwardly stable now, but I know each of us is suffering. Her in the knowledge that I cheated and the fear of what the future holds. Me in the knowledge that I may never fully self-actualise because I have to be strong, sacrifice myself and take care of her. It's what I promised to do nearly 25 years ago.

It's a state of defeatedly resigned suspended animation. And I just realised that I haven't really laughed since May of last year... the day the guy I was in love with broke things off abruptly because his wife discovered the true extent of our relationship.

Hugs and best wishes.

3. Distant Echo

Hey...sent you a pm. And hugs...(*hug*)(*hug*)

4. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    H
    Hi Taxodium, big hugs back to you. I'm sorry the relationship had to end with the man you fell in love with, I'm sure it's a hard situation to get through on top of all of the stress with feeling like you need to sacrifice to take care of your wife.

Your words "suspended animation" really struck me. That's what I feel for myself too.

I guess I am not as sure as you about sacrificing for my husband. On one hand I feel obligated, especially for my daughter's sake, but on the other I feel like it can't work under the terms of traditional expectations. I have no idea yet what I want to do or how but I believe that I have to be with a woman at some point in my life in order to grow into my full self and to feel more complete. I don't wang it to be frivolous though, I want something real...I just don't know how I will ever find that for myself. And that makes me think maybe at some point I will have to leave my husband if I really want it.

When I first came out, I was feeling desperately sad and trapped. Now I feel somewhat in more control of my situation. i am up front with my husband that I have a lot of doubts about things working and I don't know how to move forward. We're starting counselling next week.

I guess I just feel like a lot of my perceptions are changing about marriage and love. I'm starting to wonder if a happy marriage is something you have to grow into, and that you can and maybe have to recreate chemistry... but then i wonder if that's just me living in denial.

I just feel like - so, what if I leave my husband, and I find a woman (or man) that I love...will the same thing happen in 9 years? Is part of this stuff with my husband just a normal waning of romance? Of course it's not all attributed to that...part of it is that I've suppressed my desires for women for so long. But given that, at what point do you take all these facts and put them together and say its reason enough to walk away from a nine year relationship with the father of your child? Especially when he's a good man...

I've gotten to a better place than I was just a month or so ago. I was so unhappy then. Now I feel an empty space and I feel and see big issues that have to be worked through and decisions that need to be made. But I think I'm letting myself unravel thrm slowly and more carefully now.

Sorry for the novel ...

Anyway, I hope you can find a place of peace. (*hug*) thanks for the support.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2016 at 06:34 AM ----------

Warm hugs to you (*hug*). I'm going to send you a pm back.

#4 baristajedi, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  5. TAXODIUM

Barista : most of what you have written echoes in my head daily. All the same questions.

The "suspended animation" is just that... inertia. When I was living a double life, at least I felt somewhat fulfilled. I always knew I was looking for "something." At the time, it was another married guy like me with the same challenges, desires, etc. who DID NOT want to leave his wife or family. Someone I could connect with on an intellectual, physical and yes EMOTIONAL level. When I did find that, it was exponentially more intense and fulfilling than I ever dreamed it could be.

I use metaphors and images a lot to understand myself and try to explain things. I liken myself to a 3-legged stool. I *can* balance on 2 legs, but I always feel as if I'm teetering and on the verge of toppling. It's exhausting not to have that 3rd leg to hold me up. When the relationship developed with OMD (Other Married Dude) quite by happenstance, for the first time in my life I felt fully balanced. All the 3 feet of the stool were on the ground. And when that relationship ended, I crashed to the floor.

Now, I'm in this in-between place where I feel like I'm just existing. There is NO movement whatsoever, only stagnancy. Now she knows I'm gay. I have absolutely NO desire whatsoever to try to live a double life again, to deceive her, to put myself or her in a place of utter devastation again.

The things is I love her. She loves me. But how can I be gay and be a good husband, the husband she deserves ? It's like an endless cycle of the same questions.

And I miss HIM... even though it's been almost a year since D-Day... in my head I know he and I will likely never even talk again, but still... I have never in my life experienced love on a level that visceral.

So for now, suspended animation is where I live.

#5 TAXODIUM, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  6. MelShill

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Barista, I can relate to a lot of what you said. I came out to my husband back in October - this is like 4-5 months after I had already asked for a divorce. While, our relationship is going so much better, I still feel this disconnect between us. This is mostly due to the fact that I am not attracted to him. I love him dearly, but it's all platonic for me.

I have a list of reasons why I shouldn't leave him. My son being on the top of the list. It's funny though, a big one that keeps coming to mind is the fact that he and I have been together for so long. It's going on 11 years now. That's a lot of mileage for a relationship. And, he's such a great guy. I hate to leave him after all this time and find myself alone because I can't find someone who would 'get' like he does.

So, here I am, knowing it's over, yet too afraid to actually end it. Too afraid to put myself out there and at least try and find someone. I feel somewhat stuck in a platonic marriage.

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you've been going through such a painful loss, finding someone you connected with so deeply and having to give him up.

It's funny, I have no "someone" I've lost, but I feel grief, not the raw kind of grief of losing someone, but a sense of emptiness, there's definitely a hole that I don't know how to fill. It's like you said, I'm looking for "something".

Your way of describing your feelings is so beautiful and real, by the way. Thanks for sharing your experiences, it makes me feel less alone.

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2016 at 07:09 AM ----------

What you're saying is so much like what I'm feeling. I love my husband, and there are so many things holding me here, but the feelings are just not there, we're so disconnected.
    But I guess on top of fear, for me, there's still uncertainty, I just don't know that I've reached that point that it's over.
    On one hand, what I have with my husband seems empty, and I feel I need to find that wholeness with someone else. I know there is this need for a connection with a woman, but I don't know if that's where I need to find my life long connection. And then I wonder, would leaving my husband really feel more right, or is there still something there for me and my husband. I guess I have more introspection to do.

#7 baristajedi, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  8. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    baristajedi

In reading your original post in this thread, my take is that you are trying to figure out too many things at once and this is overwhelming you. There are too many variables and pivot points at play. It's better to take things step by step.

This would be much easier if you were able to come out confidently as a lesbian OR bisexual but in an unhappy marriage that is beyond repair. Once I realized and accepted that I was gay, truly embracing the label and what it represents, divorce as the next step was pretty clear. Luckily I had a breakthrough in therapy a few months earlier where I realized I didn't have to live for or sacrifice my life for others, that it was OK to be live my life for myself (which is often but erroneously labeled "being selfish" in EC posts).

In your situation, either one of those conditions would allow you to take the next step towards living your life for yourself. My guess is that you would want to separate from your husband in either case. Certainly taking action in the right direction coupled with time will give you increased clarity as to the next step after that, whether that would be dating a woman, which seems to be what your heart is telling you, or another man who can give you what your husband does not.

HTH

9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your comment was really helpful and really made me think. I think you’re right that I need to take each question one by one.
    You said it would be better/clearer if I came out as either bisexual or lesbian in a marriage beyond repair. So if I look at that I can break apart those questions.

Am I a lesbian or am I bisexual? I don’t really spend a lot of time thinking about this, but I think it’s something that kind of plays in the back of my mind sometimes. I wonder, am I gay and in denial? Am I gay but calling myself bi because having no experience with women and a lifetime of experience with men confuses my understanding of myself? I have compelling reason to believe I’m bi… my first male crush was in childhood, and my first female crush was also in childhood. But, maybe this question doesn’t really matter at this point. What I mean is that figuring out my needs does not hinge on whether I’m gay or bi. I feel an emptiness that is tied to a need to find connection with a woman. So, perhaps the only important thing to take from that is, I feel drawn towards being with a woman to the extent that it leaves a hole in my emotional well-being. So clearly, that is important regardless of the source of my feelings. Or does it matter? I suppose as a bisexual, I could find happiness without having to break up my marriage, but I am starting to think it’s really unlikely that I could ever find happiness without being with a woman, in some capacity, a real connection. I don’t know. I guess I still have some thinking to do in this area.

What’s the state of my marriage? You call it a marriage beyond repair, which makes me think that the way I describe it shows huge issues that can’t be fixed. I’m not sure I’m at the point yet where I think my marriage is beyond repair. But I think that I have created a huge emotional distance from myself and my husband/our marriage. I think the truth is I don’t *want* to make the marriage work. Not at this point at least. I think that my need to understand myself better has made me very hesitant to put the focus on my marriage. I don’t want to get lost again in something that ultimately leaves a missing piece in my life. Because I know that I have shoved my feelings, my needs, my desires so far down inside myself that I don’t want to lose my opportunity to free myself to feel and to connect and to find something that feels right in that part of my life. I have never allowed myself to connect with, build a romance with, to love a woman, or even to let it go beyond longing and thinking and wishing. I don’t know, maybe if I were more open to mending the marriage, maybe I could make things work with my husband, reclaim some of our connection… but I don’t want to ignore myself, my sexuality, anymore.

I know what it sounds like...it sounds like I’m leaning toward separation from my husband. And I can see in reading my own writing that it seems like the rational step. But… I think maybe I need to spend more time on the pieces of the puzzle. One by one. I want to think about that need to be with a woman. And what it means to me. Perhaps by thinking about that more deeply, I can make the emotional leap I need.

One thing I know, for certain, is that my desire to be with a woman won’t disappear. It’s a part of my sexuality, and will always be. It’s important, and I need to figure out what that means for me...maybe by figuring out what it means for me, it will make it easier to see what it means for my marriage.

I think figuring out how to be more fulfilled is going to come from a long process of introspection.

10. Boatman

Sending you hugs...

11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :slight_smile: thanks Boatman(*hug*)

12. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps a third question to ponder is why are you reticent to make the emotional leap when by reading your own prose you concluded that separation from your husband is the rational next step?

(&&&)

13. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad you dish out the tough questions :slight_smile:.

I think it's because my heart, the emotional side of me is wanting 2 very different things. There's a real sentiment and emotional draw to the home I've built for my daughter. I know that sounds crazy, but it's a home I want dearly.

But my heart is also pulling me towards things I've not had the courage to pursue before (being with a woman).

And then there's another reason, from the rational perspective I think, what if I'm wrong (not that I worry that I'm wrong about not being straight, but that I may leave and find that I really didn't want to end things). What if I get out of my marriage and it was all a big mistake? I'm more afraid of this risk because of the desire for the cozy home for my daughter.

When I imagine becoming more healthy with my husband and maybe finding some fulfillment there, it feels like a very lovely thing.

I don't know if that just sounds like fear...

But basically, I want to want my husband and if I did, our home would be very happy. And I almost feel like maybe I'd be content if I'd just had more courage prior to meeting him. Maybe I would have instead ended up with a woman, but on the other hand maybe I would have felt like I'd followed my heart and then eventually found the life I'm in now. And it would feel good.

And if that's the case, then I am scared that I'll walk away, find some temporary fulfillment, but then not be happy in the end, and all at the cost of the life my daughter knows and feels secure in.

But on the other side, I'm afraid if I simply stay with my husband, I'll never find fulfillment, even temporary fulfillment.

So I'm sort of standing in the fork of the road and just sitting there looking at both paths, too afraid to commit to either of them.

14. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can identify with what you are saying. I wanted to be straight and thought that staying in my marriage and acting like a straight husband would magically make my pesky feelings for guys go away. Alas, my wishful thinking could not change my orientation, no matter how hard I tried and eventually I had to abandon my wishful thinking and face up to the reality of my situation.

The image of the fork in the road reminds me of the following quote.
    What if you were to fall madly in love with another woman and built a home with her. What does your heart tell you about that?

I'm wondering if you'll be able to decide which path to take through introspection alone. I think you may need an experience with another woman to help remove the fear, uncertainty and doubt in your mind. Obviously it's best to do this with your husband's consent if you feel this would be helpful to you.

I'll stop dishing out the tough questions for now :slight_smile: Have a great weekend.

#14 SiennaFire, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  15. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I think that wanting to want my husband is partially a closet issue...not as much that I want to be straight but being afraid to so bluntly put it out there for the whole world to see that I'm not straight...there's certainly fear there. But it's also partially that I don't want a failed marriage, I don't want to start over after this frankly largely uphill battle towards domestic peace that we've nearly reached, I don't want to disrupt my daughter's life...I just want the less disruptive path now that I'm a mom. If I meet a new person, I have to fight all these battles again to get to a place where we understand and respect eachother. Leaving my husband wold mean that my daughter would at least temporarily be quite shaken up. She's gone through so much change in her short life (we've made several distant moves since she's been born). It's just...all so daunting.

I love your Emerson quote, it's beautiful. And provides a spark for thought...

If I were to fall madly in love with another woman and build a home with her - this thought is incredibly lovely, honestly. But (there's always a but), it's lovely with a twinge of sadness at the disruption it brings to my daughter's life. I know she'd get through it, but the emotions I feel at the thought of it are hard for me to overcome.

What you say about experience rather than introspection is something ive thought a lot about. I think that is my sort of one last hope to make things work, to tslk my husband about doing that with his blessing... Not sure that will go over well. We have talked about it and we almost had a plan to do it, but that has been pushed aside to discuss later.

I like yoir tough questions :slight_smile:. Thanks for helping me think about this. You have s good weekend too :slight_smile:.

16. confused04

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

17. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may be helpful to look at how philosophers have dealt with these wicked dilemmas:

Zen masters were known to cultivate "stuckness", they would have also called it "beginner's mind".

When faced with a seemingly insurmountable problem, the best you can do is stand back and tune out the noise (your thoughts, for example, but other distractions as well). Be receptive to whatever comes to your consciousness but entertain (meaning to hold-between) the idea, no need to commit to anything, just hold any thought that appears lightly. If it has no value, it will disappear on its own.

In your state of stillness (whether achieved by meditation or just sitting quietly in a room) let the subconscious do its work. Soon enough, you will begin to hear that "still small voice" pointing to some heretofore unacknowledged fact, something that you would have considered insignificant before, but that now takes on a whole new meaning and value.

Be attentive to those moments, they are your guide, whatever is of value, whatever appears to be in better harmony with your true desires and beliefs will manifest itself eventually. And if this doesn't happen soon enough, don't give up, it is still better than being tormented by all the noise.

19. WanderingMind

Hello Baristajedi,

I've had a difficult time figuring out what to post here in response to your original post, and the myriad of replies. I mean... Our stories share a lot of similar elements. I'm married, and have quite recently woken up bisexual. I have a deep desire to experience a real relationship with a woman; I feel as if I've missed out by not having had a chance to ever know what that would be like. A key difference is that I have a happy, fulfilling marriage. I hear you saying that what you'd really like is to have the same, but even if you did, like me, it might not be enough.

I, too, am really struggling to figure out a path through the next part of my life. Now that I *know* this part of me, and want to accept it and let it in, what does it look like? How does it work? I don't have any answers... yet. But, I'm actively seeking information about the many different ways that other couples have approached meeting similar wants/needs.

Are you able to work on strengthening your marriage at the *same time* you work on opening it up? Is there a way to work toward simultaneously making both aspects of your life better? Or, do you feel you need to focus on one more than the other, or one first?

20. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for this advice, it really feels like it fits my needs at the moment and I'm going to try it.

Sometimes lately I have trouble creating stillness for myself, it can feel uncomfortable. That's likely an indication that it's exactly what I need, I think I've been fighting against facing my own inner voice. Partially because I'd opened a lot of wounds when I started coming out and felt really vulnerable. But I think I'm ready to let myself be a bit vulnerable again, I think it's time.

But it's funny, now just thinking about creating this stillness makes me feel more calm.

---------- Post added 19th Feb 2016 at 06:20 PM ----------

This is a worry I have - will it ever be enough, that no matter how much we strengthen our relationship, that there will always be this missing piece.

Where have you found information on couples that have made this work? I've found a couple blogs and articles, but I guess I haven't sought it out enough.

In terms of strengthening my marriage while also opening it up... I think I could feel comfortable with that, but my husbsnd is very uncomfortable with it. (Opening up in general, but also my husband's said if we do decide to open up the marriage he wants to work on making sure we're strong first.)

We're going to a counsellor this week and perhaps that will help sort through the issues..

#20 baristajedi, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016