1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A 1st...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Birdie145, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Birdie145

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    for me, I went to a coffee group meeting today, the people were welcoming, took a lot of courage to go. I enjoyed it & plan to go again.

Sad thing is though, I've not felt able to share it with anyone I know - be honest.
    I was married for a while, got grown up kids, parents very homophobic. I've got one close friend who has gay relatives but don't even want to open up to her at the moment.
    I don't want to hear (I'm talking relatives&straight friends) negative thoughts & opinions.
    How I feel isn't going to go away.

I don't want to waste more years if that makes sense.

2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you! I'm happy for you, you have me smiling.

It sounds like you are in a good place that is likely to get even better. Thank you for inspiring me, too.

3. koza

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good for u!
    I have a crush on a girl, and I just told her about that (she's conveniently gay, but doesn't seem like she's interested) but I couldn't talk to anybody about it, for the same reason but this group and yesterday her

4. Birdie145

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for your replies.

It took courage to go, I've never been to anything like this before.

Do either of you have any Meet Up groups near you? I tried looking at dating sites but didn't feel that was for me at the moment. I'm a long way off coming out to family.My parents will be disgusted - likely I will be disowned.
    One day at a time.

5. koza

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I live in a small redneck town.. We really don't have much, and if they did, I am not as brave as u r... ;-)
    Yeah even if I had any relationship with any girl I would never tell my parents and probably would be too ashamed to tell anybody but here... Or show up with her in public...I am a coward I know...
    But u go girl!! Proud of your bravery !

6. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hadn't thought of an LGBT Meet Up group, thanks for the idea. I did a search, and no, none here in my town.

I'm proud of your bravery, too. Good job!

My situation is a little different. I'm definitely bisexual, I have been for all my adult life. But I'm lucky to be married to a wonderful woman who has known about my bisexuality and loves me as I am. So for me, it's not about finding a partner, it's about trying to come out and be myself fully.

I am a bass player, and I can do a good job in most musical genres. Last summer, I was between bands and looking for something new. I found an online advertisement in a town not too far away that was "Looking for LGBT Musicians" to put together a new band together. I can't tell you how badly I wanted to answer that ad, I know I could have been a killer bassist for them. But I wasn't "out" publicly, which would have had to happen, and I didn't feel ready. So I missed the opportunity, and I still regret that. I'm in a band now that is doing well, but every time one of our singers says something intolerant at practice, I cringe and wish I was out.

Sorry for getting off-topic. Your bravery is inspiring to me. I am currently reading "Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World" and trying to figure out how I'm going to come out. One of the things I have to overcome, honestly, is the fact that I can comfortably wait if I want, because I'm in an otherwise normal-looking marriage. My challenge is coming up with the bravery to overcome that.

7. Birdie145

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don't feel very brave! It's a bit scary but I was surprised at how comfortable I felt, part of which was due to the other people ( male and female) were all friendly.

I felt aware of my lateness (my age)of getting to this point, some people were so young but so comfortable with themselves, it saddens me to realise how with my parents I wasn't "allowed" to be anything but straight. It struck me how different things are now compared to my 20's. Technology has meant things like this forum, finding the coffee group I went to are available now.

I was given a contact via the LGBT helpline. I'm way, way off telling anyone but you guys lol! Oh and the coffee group! One step at a time.