1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye Hook-up Apps, Hello Real Life

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Closeteer, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Closeteer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Given my poetic accounts of my trysts with dating apps I really feel the need to put this out because I read about so many people dealing with the unfortunate superficiality of dating apps.

Quick background - I'm the rare gay person of (my) color in a very white state where the men are extremely handsome and haven't seen a non-Caucasian person in their lifetime probably (I blame MTV).

It took a long time for me to finally create a "real" profile - face pic et al. - as I was hounded by the same fears which dog everyone - what if someone I knew saw this? what if I was asked to be the presidential candidate for LGBT issues? what if Hollywood offered me a role in the "Fifty Shades of Gay" movie? You know, things we all worry about.

A (very) long story short - it was not pleasant. It was perhaps 4 non-starter first meetings which never went anywhere after hundreds of take-a-deep-breath-send-a-hello-never-get-a-response messages to handsome men. And let's not even talk about the depression you go into when the cute guy doesn't message back or the disgust you feel when the first message from a guy has content that wouldn't make it past the Censor Board.
    The only good thing to come out of it was 2 people I made friends with in real life and can talk to about my cribs with systemic racism in American online dating gay culture, and another 2 in far-off cities with whom I've developed a sort of texty friendship.

Which is why I finally took a (second) plunge and started going to the practically the only LGBT-friendly forum which my (somewhat small) city has. Bigger cities have meetup groups, choirs, sports clubs and what not. I pretty much have this.

And here's the thing - every single time I've gone to an event by them I've made at least one new acquaintance (and maybe a friend or two too!). Does that mean I've found my "True Love"? Good god, no! Some of the people are happily married, some are way older, some are still figuring things out, and most have known each other for a long time (and I feel like an outsider butting into the party). But the good thing is that there we all begin from a place of gentle friendship and connection, and not from sex.

I'm still the only person of my race there and that's often hard on a whole another level because you need to put extra effort in overcoming stereotypes and changing their perceptions, but you know what? It's still better (and way more rewarding) than sending digital hello's to shirtless torsos. It takes you away from objectifying people because of their bodies. It brings you in contact with people in real life and you realize that each connection you make doesn't have to always have an underlying premise of going to bed with someone. I realized that what I was hankering for was a sense of connection - of being able to talk to other gay people, make jokes about gay stuff, openly discuss celebrity crushes and why Ryan Reynolds is so incredibly hot, play board games and basketball with and so on. It's the normalcy I wanted which I finally feel I've started to get closer to.

If you're a really handsome guy or you live in a really big city with tons of people, you'll probably have better luck on apps simply because there're more people so there's a greater likelihood of finding those "good" needles in the gaystack. But whichever place you're in you should try to find a real place where people gather as their real selves. It seems to be working for me, I hope it can work for you too :slight_smile:

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never tried hookup apps, but I've long felt cynical and cautious about them. There is a lot to be said for meeting in a real world setting first, not a phone screen.

You are lucky, Closeteer, that you have a place in your city. It's ironic, but I've been struggling, off and on, for nearly 3 years finding options in my area. (I think Seattle, which, while a ways off, is still too close, and sucks all the LGBT event life out of my immediate area.)

3. Closeteer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there, BMC77 :slight_smile:

Hmm, I see what you mean. To some extent, that IS a problem with my city too (with the bigger metropolis nearby having lots more options).

I'm sure you'd have looked even more intensively as you mention that you've been doing this for 3 years but here're all the ones I can think of, see if there might be something which works?

1. An LGBT organization - usually a good way to kind of "do your bit" while meeting up with intelligent, driven, professional people.
    2. Meet up groups - a simple search might yield something. You might even consider joining a non-LGBT hobby group because it's nice to meet people with similar interests!
    3. Church groups - I know this might sound paradoxical but, to my surprise, I recently heard that there was apparently a group of gay people who meet for regular community-type events at a LGBT-friendly church. And you don't have to be a Christian to join or anything like that. I haven't tried that yet but might.
    4. Volunteering opportunities - This is something which a friend recently advised me on. He said it does two good things - (1) gets you out of your "oh lord, why am I single?" bubble and out into the real world to do something for others, and (2) gets you to meet people and hey, who knows? What if you end up making friends who are either gay or know someone who is?
    5. The gay bars - Disclaimer, I haven't been to one in my life. But going by second-hand accounts, if you can find a friend or two to go with, and you're clear about your boundaries, then you might find a new friend.

Again, I'm not writing off the hook-up apps completely given that I DID find (very) few good people there. It was just that the return-to-effort was not there. I'd put in a lot of effort to try and make a connection and if the person rejects you for the color of your skin or because you aren't "his type", well, it hurts ;-)

Fellow readers - chip in with suggestions!

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I've considered most of these options, and done research, particularly #1 # #2. No real success.

Haven't tried volunteering, but I am considering it. First, though, I need to find out if its viable for where my life is heading.

As for churches, yes, it's interesting that some do have LGBT groups. Not any around me, but I have heard of it happening. Even with no group, perhaps there can be for some a chance to meet LGBT people at church events. The church I visit, sometimes, unfortunately does not appear to have much hope of a LGBT population. It skews heavily towards older people.

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2016 at 08:06 PM ----------

Oh, yes, gay bars do exist in a nearby city, but I don't get there too often. Maybe if/when I get there, I'll stop by. But I'm not much of a bar person, and one person who knows that city basically thought little of those bars.

5. Mr B

Brilliant!

I believe the key is to keep on track, its a numbers game. If you are out there doing stuff and open to people and feeling comfortable in your skin (no pun intended), you WILL eventually meet someone.

6. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Closeteer,

Good to see you post again :slight_smile:

This is a great observation about yourself and what you are looking for. You are right that hookup apps are designed for, well, hooking up with anonymous torsos if you value the superficial (califragilisticexpialidocious) over substance. You want something more genuine, more real, and the LGBT-friendly forum offers you a chance to meet real guys.

How far are you from the metropolis? Are you close enough where driving to the big city could be a viable approach for meeting guys?

Looking forward to the poem about the guy you fall for :slight_smile:

#6 SiennaFire, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hookup apps have a time and a place. And it sounds like you have compartmentalised their use effectively.

I have since deleted all the apps myself, and found a local outlet (sports league) much better suited for making casual acquaintances after trying numerous other groups.

I can not comment on the racial prediciment you face, as I have no direct experience there on the receiving end. Although I never limited my connections to any given race (and in fact my partner is ethnic himself).

I will state the obvious, which I am sure you considered, if the next largest city does have a broader social LGBT sphere to participate in, consider weekend visits if that's practical.

8. Closeteer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @BMC77

Hmm, that can be tough. But again, it's often starting with baby steps. What I've also found to a little bit is that connecting with people (not necessarily LGBT ones) ALSO helps strangely by fulfilling some latent need for a minimum of social connection. So even if there's something hobby-related like a book club, or a game club, or a walking group, honestly just try joining a couple and seeing how that works out for you. I joined a book club but that didn't work out that well. Then I found a nice sports group that did!
    Keep me posted on your progress. I'm a wall message away, you know that :slight_smile:

@MrB

Hello there! We haven't met on here so "Hi!" :slight_smile: Well, amen! (or should I say "THE men!" :-D) It's slow progress for sure but whenever I get disheartened I think back to last year when the grand total of all the gay men I knew and was friends with was a big fat zero. Now at least I have a few people to talk to now and then! How goes the questioning life for you? Any developments?

@SiennaFire

Hello, old friend, nice to hear from you too :slight_smile: (and your promise to visit me is still fresh in my mind, so I'm going to hold you to that ;-P) Well, completely agree with you and, especially when I talk to guys who HAVE gone for the hook-ups many a time, the verdict is mixed. With my bias I obviously would focus on the negatives but still I've seen time and again about how the relationships have suffered from instability, sexualisation, volatility...so I'm choosing to stick to my life decisions (at the cost of bouts of loneliness though!).
    Metropolis is not very far but not really worth the effort yet given my work schedule. Maybe a year later.
    And trust me, I'm waiting for the day I get to write that poem too ;-)
    How's life been for you?!

@Onthehighway

Firstly, congrats on finding a partner! Woot woot! :slight_smile: I wish there were more men like you in my area who can look beyond the color of my skin (I know there are, they're just not on those apps ;-) ). Weekend visits is a great idea and might consider them when work eases off a bit. Hope your relationship is progressing swimmingly!

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've also spent a lot of time exploring non-LGBT specific options. Probably, actually, more time than I've spent trying to find LGBT options. I guess LGBT is not necessary for friends. And even from a view of dating--which is not reallistically a real option right now--there is the factor that other gay/bi men might show up, too, and straight people might know a gay friend or neighbor. In any case, no real luck, and not sure what option to try next... One issue: I need to keep things cheap ($0 being the best price.)

I had limited success with a book group, as well. The meetings were nice, and it was a good thing for me intellectually. But I never connected with others, and last year the book selections became less satisfactory.

10. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You caught me during my coming out high/awkward second adolescence during our poetry sessions. Things have calmed down quite a bit for me. At this point I'm out to most people and have gay friends and support groups in the real world. As great as EC is, you really need to supplement it with interaction with gay people in the real world. Waiting eagerly for the invitation to visit you :slight_smile:

#10 SiennaFire, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  11. Closeteer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @BMC77

Hmm, I'm trying to think. Gravity had basically suggested Meetup groups and I'd checked that out. I'm pretty sure Seattle would have a wealth of them if you can make occasional weekend commutes! You might look into something like community theatre?

@Siennafire

Glad that life's going well for you :slight_smile: I know it's been that second adolescence for me too albeit not with your level of good luck in terms of going out with other men. But then again, things are going well and I'm happy :slight_smile:
    The invite will be forthcoming one day, never fear :slight_smile:

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Closeteer, Seattle does seem to have a wealth of options... But it's hard getting there. Weekends are pretty much out, because of transit schedule realities...:icon_sad:

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just looked at some Seattle options again. And why do I torture myself looking? Lots of options, but nothing practical given the realities of going to them. :tears: