1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just got flaked on/stood up and somehow that's fine.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Pathetic Coward, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Pathetic Coward

Given the trials most go through (namely spouses/children) I know this is nothing. But I sort of need to vent.

So I message Mr Let's do coffee and we bounce back and forth. Yes, he's not out, so what. Neither am I. Big deal, I thought. Like an idiot kid I was already plotting second date ideas. A few nights later it's down to me suggesting he pick a place (as to fit his schedule/whatever better) and he picks my house.

Then he tells me he's married. To be fair he had dropped the hint at least once. I mean when someone asks if you're married the answer is Yes/no, and you?

I should've have bailed right then but I felt like we had some things in common. And a married person is a nice tidy compartmentalized thing, aren't they? Not exactly my proudest moment. Live and learn.

I really want to chalk this up to internet vs reality. It is too easy to window shop and play the "someday" game and not bother with anything human. All well.

Real joke of it is I was going over my place taking it from "livable" to "some level of clean" and thinking, you know he's going to flake, right? Also, man this place is a mess. Why don't I care more about it? Why don't I care more about anything? You know what, he can flake all he wants. I'm getting this done for me because I want to. Yes, it doesn't matter and was good enough the way it was but it is what I want and that's reason enough.

I remember my former therapist more or less chiding me "you don't want anything?" after he had asked what I wanted in/out of life. I told him that anything I wanted didn't seem obtainable.

I don't know if it was depression or simply disengagement but I can look around see that lack of caring in other parts of my life. I'm trying not to dwell on Mr Flake and instead hold onto that positive feeling. It started out as predate motivation but when I stop and look at it I can almost see the main problem I've had with life.

It is totally okay to want things in life. It is okay to take care of yourself. What I choose to do has value because I'm the one doing it.

The real kick in the head is part of the reason I stayed away from "those people" was I was afraid of ending up old, without a wife and kids and with no ambition. And that's more or less how I've spent the last few years. That's got to change. I was raised with a very clear breadwinner mindset (aka if you aren't a provider, you are a selfish non-person) and wonder how much that has impacted me.

It feels that I'm stuck choosing between narcissism and non-existence which I know is black-and-white thinking. The problem is non-existence doesn't work as a life strategy and narcissists tend to die alone. So there it is.

Sorry for the wall of text but that said I've got a few questions.

Does the above seem rational? I somehow can't get my head around suddenly giving a damn, as it were. It just seems odd. I know the authentic life crowd points to chronic low mood/depression as a symptom of living at odds to your person/values but it can't be that simple. Can it?

Provided that's what's going on, what do I do now? Or am I stuck following my gut and the entire true-to-self stuff?

I know I sound critical (because I'm being critical) of self-help ideas but I haven't felt this positive in months, even with a "failed" hookup to my name. I mean the "me" I know would be sulking, if not outright raging about the jerk. But I'm not.

So am I missing something? Or can it be that simple sometimes?

PC

2. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, it's been my experience that if you do something -- even if it turns out less than ideally -- you will feel better about yourself than doing nothing.

Pathetic cowards do nothing, but you did something. You took a risk. Good for you!

You also decided to clean your place up. Also good for mental clarity.

People are people and they're gonna flake. It's not about you, obviously, since he's never met you. So there's nothing to take personally.

I would spend less time analyzing this situation and focus on the fact that you took a risk, it didn't pan out, but the world didn't end either. So you can do it again, and you'll be a bit more careful about spotting red flags.

Good luck!

3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First I want to echo nerdbrain and say that you should feel proud of yourself for taking these steps. I know it may take some time for this to sink it, but please realize that most of the problems you are experiencing are inherent to the world of online dating and are not the result of your being a coward. That's great progress (!)

Did you guys ever meet for coffee? It wasn't clear, alhtough I'm guessing he never showed up to your place.

I'm going to go against the room on this and suggest that given the constraints of your small town and given that you had things in common, it was a reasonable thing to want to hang out with this guy even though he's married. Given that you are bisexual and still in the closet, hooking up with a married guy or another bisexual guy is probably easier for you than hooking up with a gay guy. Once you are out and start dating, it will be a slightly different thought process.

Married guys have a number of reasons to flake, including unexpected work or family obligation or a surge of guilt. I think your best bet is to reach out to him, be understanding, and give him another chance. If he flakes again, then he's likely a fake.
    You seemed to have made a breakthrough here that for the first time in a long time you began to care about your life. Congrats (!)

I missed how you made the jump from staying away from "those people" to narcissism. Are you suggesting that all single/gay men are narcissistic?

Can you clarify what you mean by choosing between narcissism and non-existence? Does this mean a choice between an out lifestyle versus how you live today?
    Yes, it's that simple for the most part. You started to care because you got off your butt and took action towards your goal. When people have low mood or depression, they don't typically act. Instead they ruminate on negative thoughts. By taking action towards authenticity, (1) you feel better because you took action and you are feeling a sense of accomplishment and that things are less scary and (2) you suspended the rumination because you were focused on action.
    You need to continue to take action, bigger and bigger steps. As you continue to take action, you will build on your previous success and there will be an upward spiral of success that feeds upon itself. You'll feel even better about yourself and your life.
    It's as simple as you are taking action and making progress towards your goals. Keep it up and you'll feel even better.

#3 SiennaFire, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. Pathetic Coward

That's a good point. It just felt like the "lift" from it was/is disproportional. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.

PC

5. Pathetic Coward

Nope. No message, no show. Hurry for internet dating!

That was a big part of it.

To be honest I'm going to let that settle out on its own. If he shows back up, fine, if not , fine. He's just not that important.

Thank. It just seems like a stupid problem for a grown man to have. But it is what it is.

I'm probably throwing the word narcissist around too much but as ugly as it sounds that's more or less it. A single man is some level of moral failure. Sexuality doesn't factor in as much as self interest = selfishness. Of course that's not reality but it is a kick in the head to accept that's how I've lived my life so far.

Looking at it now I think if my parents had a more functional marriage I might have been in the same boat as others here, gay/bi with a straight life about to unravel.

It's an example of what I mean but it feels broader than that. Like the idea of living on my own terms is simply wrong.

I can't help but feel that many so called chauvinistic patriarchs (like my dad) are really just enabling co-dependents hiding behind their wives and children. It's no doubt part of that bizarre Christian "humility", where a person will invoke a higher power before doing what they're going to do anyway. Whatever you do, don't do it for yourself. Because that's "selfish."

I'm probably just being immature. It is just painful noticing that a major life skill (or possible the life skill) is missing/lacking.

I was afraid of that. :lol:

Thanks again.

PC

6. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was going to say that given that you had things in common, it might not hurt to reach out to him, although you are probably right that the no message thing puts the ball in his court. It's OK to flake, but at least have the courtesy to send a message.
    This is where a therapist could help you. It seems that you feel like a moral failure because you are still single and not manning up and becoming a bread winner? But why do you feel the need to have a wife and children if that's not who you want to be? This club seems like a script you picked up from the chauvinistic patriarchs? Please put the stick down and stop beating yourself with it!

FWIW, I don't see "selfish" and "narcissistic" as synonyms. Sure they are related words, and being selfish is necessary but not sufficient to be narcissistic. There's also an element of being vain and egotistical.
    You've discovered the secret of how to become happy. I thought that you would be a bit more ecstatic :eusa_clap :eusa_clap (!) :thewave: (!!) :eusa_clap

#6 SiennaFire, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  7. Pathetic Coward

That's what I thought, also. But on the other hand his flaking saved my having to do it myself. :wink:

If I was any good at hearing what the therapist had to say you would be right. I don't feel like I'm really at that place right now, personally.

As far as being a moral failure there is some of that but more the idea that a single person is living a "pretend life" that doesn't really count. It is less a matter of guilt and more the idea that none of it matters because it's not a "real life." I'm getting past that, somewhat. At least I know the script's there now. Then there's getting older, which doesn't help but is sort of a separate thing.

I've been working through some family issues (mostly the golden child thing) and I'm probably guilty of see narcissists wherever I look. Its probably a bad sign that I conflate having any sense of self with a grandiose sense of self.

You got me there. :icon_bigg

I know I've been leaning on this forum too much for (at least what I see as) little problems/ the stuff a therapist should handle/ stuff a person vents to friends about.

Thanks again for your patience.

PC

8. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's more than a modicum of truth in your remark. Honestly I had to push myself not to flake the first couple of times. If I hadn't pushed myself, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation now. Clearly this demonstrates the power of not flaking. Don't be a flake and you'll find happiness by pushing yourself. Once again you've discovered the secret of how to become happy :eusa_clap :thewave:
    Why do you let these people define a "real life" for you and then use it to invalidate yours? You're shoulding all over yourself. Drop this club and stop beating yourself up with it.
    I don't think you are leaning on this forum too much. Besides, I'd rather have you post than go dark again :slight_smile:

#8 SiennaFire, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  9. Pathetic Coward

It's always the obvious stuff, isn't it? I wonder how many people get caught up in the "be perfect or go home mindset" and just stay home.

What really bothers me is I don't notice it. I can tell when I'm being overly critical most of the time anymore. But this is like learning that the sky is green, not blue. Or that first week in January when everyone gets the date wrong. Clearly something I need to be more aware of.

I don't think you are leaning on this forum too much. Besides, I'd rather have you post than go dark again :slight_smile:[/QUOTE]

Not sure where I would be without this place.

Thanks again.

PC

10. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a flash of insight while drinking my Saturday morning coffee. Given that you have things in common with this guy and given that you live in a small town with limited opportunities, I actually think that you should reach out to this guy even though he flaked. At some level he is probably as scared as you about meeting and if you take the lead here, you might be rewarded for your initiative. If you don't like that idea, maybe you could grab a beer at the gay bar tonight :beer:

11. Pathetic Coward

That's a fair point. I sent the guy a "guess this didn't work out but if you would still like to talk" sort of thing.

Also been trading messages with someone's who's out and clearly less of a flake. Have to see how that goes as well.

Life goes on. Can't just sit there and let it stall out.

Thanks again.

12. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the perspective and tone of your last post. Keep it up :thumbsup: