1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Myth of bisexualty

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Nickw, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A poster, Mr. B, responded under another thread with the following comment

"In my opinion, someone who gets turned on by the thought of having sexual interactions with someone of the same sex is gay, period. This is mostly biologically determined from birth by a combination of genetic and environmental factors."

As a bisexual, I find this sort of prejudicial statement very disturbing. Especially, on a forum that offers such an opportunity for those of us of ALL sexual orientations to share our experiences and seek advice.

An interesting piece in the NYT does a much better job of identifying the difficulties that bisexual face in this society:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/m...c-quest-to-prove-bisexuality-exists.html?_r=0

Keep up the good work EC. Thanks.

#1 Nickw, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  2. WanderingMind

I'm bisexual. I am queer. I am not gay. I am not lesbian.

Please don't erase me. Don't tell me who I can find beautiful, or turned on by, or have sex with. Don't tell me who I can love.

I am complex. I get that. Aren't we all?

Feel free to ask me about my experience. But, don't tell me what you think my experience is, or what it's not.

#2 WanderingMind, Feb 28, 2016
  3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. A better title to this thread should have been "don't erase me".

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please, for the love of God, don't use the "erasure" word. It's dramatic, emotional, and inaccurate.

There's no question that bisexuality exists. It's been studied since the 1940s, the literature is solid. Kinsey went so far as to say that only about 10% of the population are at either end of the spectrum (and it is a spectrum, not a binary or trinary), and everyone else is somewhere on the spectrum.

There's really no controversy on this issue, except in the eyes of ill-informed people who don't let pesky facts get in the way of their misconceptions.

5. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perfectly said and worded. I don't need to make a comment!

6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Chip...

Of course you are correct. But, in the eyes of much of today's society bisexuality is not accepted. It took me some time to realize that what I feel is valid. I get a little wound up when that validity is questioned. Maybe my thread title is a bit dramatic?

#6 Nickw, Feb 28, 2016
  7. WanderingMind

Please, for the love of all the gods, Chip, tell me what other words this baby-bi isn't allowed to use here.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The point being, 'erasure' is overused, inaccurate, and used solely to be dramatic and emotional. 'Disrespect' is more accurate and more precise.

9. WanderingMind

Hi Chip,

To begin... I am more than willing to admit that I'm prone to feeling dramatic and emotional these days. And, hey... if the shoe fits, and a person is wearing the shoes, she needs to admit it. So, sure. I'm willing to accept that I could have used a different word.

But, is it inaccurate? If we examine the quote I was responding to, it stated "In my opinion, someone who gets turned on by the thought of having sexual interactions with someone of the same sex is gay, period." I took this quote to mean my same-sex attractions mean I'm gay. Period. But, I'm not.

What if we also examine the words "erasure" and "disrespect"... using the dictionary. I went with Mirriam Webster.

Erasure is defined as ": an act or instance of erasing", and erasing is defined lots of ways, but the transitive verb is defined this way: " a : to remove from existence or memory as if by erasing; b : to nullify the effect or force of". Saying my same-sex attractions make me gay certainly has the effect of removing from existence the possibility I also experience opposite-sex attractions, which make me bi. It also nullifies the force of being able to use the word "bisexual" to identify who I am. And, part of my very recent journey has been to acknowledge that these feelings I have, these desires, are even real. I've tried rejecting them, myself. When I see them rejected here, in one of the safe spaces I have, it really hurts.

Wait. I'm getting emotional again. I'll try to reign it in.

Disrespect, as a transitive verb, is defined this way: "1: to have disrespect for; 2: to show or express disrespect or contempt for". Certainly, yes. Saying my same-sex attractions make me gay, as opposed to allowing those attractions to be part of my bisexual identity, shows disrespect. What's disrespectful about the statement I was responding to is *exactly* that it states there is only one identity that can claim same-sex attraction. Period.

I believe there are many identities that can claim same-sex attraction.

I have experienced, in five short months, a tiny bit of disrespect. I have experienced a much higher incidence of being told my identity doesn't exist.

I *know* what the research says. I turn to it for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes, it's to figure myself out. Sometimes, it's to find confirmation I'm legitimately able to claim a label that was hard enough in the first place to accept, and now feels like an important piece of accepting who I am.

I had no idea the word erasure is overused, and I don't have a problem using the word disrespect in relation to the quote. However, I am a bit frustrated that I can't also use the word that seems to best fit how I interpret my feelings about something that was said.

My intention wasn't "solely to be dramatic and emotional." It was to point out precisely how I feel. And, my feelings in relation to that quote are MUCH more accurately defined as erased than disrespected.

But, I am here to learn, as well as to process my feelings. So, what other words should I avoid?

#9 WanderingMind, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  10. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow Why would someone Be so disrespectful everybody got the choice on what they like and if you like both imo that's okay

11. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's erasure because a lot of bi people feel pressured to become invisible by taking on the identity of one side or the other depending on circumstances. It makes perfect sense and I don't see why you have a problem with the word, Chip. Its a word and it means something completely seperate from just disrespect. Plenty of people, supportive and unsupportive of me like to simplify me into a lesbian at times... it's not really disrespectful like saying "all bisexuals are sluts" or something, it just sort of wipes one side of me out of existence. So yeah, that's what erasure is. I like what you usually say, Chip, but I disagree with you here, I think the word is quite appropriate. Maybe dramatic yes, but it just means something different from disrespect.

Reading that article I was sort of dwelling on how they said bisexuals suffer from more anxiety and depression and such... that resonates with current me (literally just had to delete a whole anxious rant from this post).

UPDATE: Wow, it took me so long to write and edit this post right down becuase I was getting all emotional about bi struggles, and how I feel so pressured to fit into a binary box that I daren't open up to people close to me about everything that makes me emotional because they want to tell me that I'm confused, and thats why I resonate so much with the anxiety/depression thing, but then deciding that nobody wanted to hear it, that WanderingMind wrote that whole extra amazing post. It defined everything that I had to say properly and made me feel better about getting all dramatic and emotional, as you always do, WanderingMind. You're like my rock on here right now <3 xxx

#11 SHACH, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    Bastion likes this.
  12. VHS Tape

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    For a gay admin on an LGBT friendly website, this is staggeringly insenstive. You sound like old academia having a problem with the new, more refined academia replacing its outdated ideals. Like an indignant Freudian armchair psychologist.

Its like whites telling blacks how they can and can't feel towards racism. Or straights telling gays and lesbians how they can and can't feel towards homophobia.

Certainly, things can become exaggerated.

But erasure? Erasure is a relatively reasonable word. Nevermind the fact that currently bisexuals still so rarely even get a chance to whip it out and defend ourselves with it. Our voices are often squashed before they are heard.

In terms of definitions, WanderingMind already laid that down. Someone calling me "lesbian" or "straight," depending on who I date, is most certainly not just disrespecting me, but going the extra step to erasing part of my identity. When you treat something as though it doesn't exist though it very well does, you erase it. That concept is neither difficult to understand, nor hyperbole.

Also, if gays and lesbians can be acceptably passionate and emotional about their identities and still recieve much less criticism, I then reserve the right to be passionate and emotional about my identity.

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    *snigger* I agree. Common decency is easily forgotten these days.

14. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    FWIW, Chip did take the poster that made the statement in my initial post to task on another thread.

Bisexuality is like any sexual orientation struggle. Sometimes it does feel like those that are gay do not accept the validity of our orientation or that our struggles are real. How do you come out as bi in society? Where I live I can be straight or gay. Same with my family.

I grew up when sexual orientation was described much like the post I responded to. This was the mid-70's. I decided I was gay and accepted it. But, I wasn't. I am attracted to both men and women (although only very attractive men who look like me...I am gay!...sorry stereotype...just kidding:icon_wink)

This made me feel sort of like a pervert...I'll take anything. But, I am not promiscuous, I am monogamous and I develop deep, and passionate, love. It's just that through all of my life I can still enjoy the sexuality and beauty in both sexes. And, finally after many years, it has become a part of me I do not wish to change.

I mentioned in another post that I, actually, feel sorry for gays and straights. They miss out on half the fun!

15. VHS Tape

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Nice avatar! I was actually going to whip out LOK as an example for bi erasure, but decided against it.

I just want to clarify that I'm not trying to demonize Chip, and I'm sure he's done right by the forums multiple times. But, what he's said is insensitive.

ON a similar level, saying you feel sorry for "gays and straights" can also be insensitive too. And I know you're just joking...but a gay person might not take to kindly to that joke...

I mean the whole thing today is everyone is always saying "everybody's too sensitive!" But, are they really? There are just some things out their that are obviously offensive, some statements that might be made either out of ignorance or innocence, but are so obviously offensive they should be put down immediately. And some people now try to pass off those statements as passing remarks, or "you shouldn't take it so personally," but...that doesn't make any sense.

And I'm not trying to attack you either, Nickw! Just writing my thoughts.

And don't worry. Even at the age I am, I at first felt like a pervert, or like something was extremely wrong with me when I discovered I was bisexual. And to top it off, at the time I realized I was, I hadn't known what bisexuality was, and had felt very out of place and like a freak.

But it's all good now and like you, even as a young person, I don't wish to change who I am!

16. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    VHS No offense taken.

I do tend to get a bit sarcastic and this is probably not the best place to do that when there is so much raw emotion. To get where I am, with my own space, I had to do a little laughing at myself...but, it does not work for everyone. And, isn't that why were here? Every struggle is different.

17. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mr B again...

OMG! I only need to become completely gay to recognize that is what I really am? Transitional phase? I guess I am a slow learner...45 years so far, since I discovered bros and bras, and I seem to, mostly, be transitioning to straight then. I am so confused. I use my left hand for intricate tasks, but throw right handed (poorly...am I gay?:icon_wink). I need to throw left handed for awhile?

Mr. B. You really, really, really, need to have a heart to heart talk about sexuality and desire with a bisexual. Your preconceived "opinions" are out in left (or is it right) field.

18. VHS Tape

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I read what Mr B wrote and cringed. I agree wholeheartedly. He needs to expand his horizons and get to know bisexuals a little more. While he says he's not intending to be biphobic, everything about what he's saying IS biphobic...smh :bang:

19. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    while i get and respect your point Chip, i have faced the Bi does not exist, pick a side, either gay or straight and it's black and white type deal. and i've gotten most of that from gays. and it does feel like you've been erased, that someone took white out to th B in lbgt. so while it may get somewhat over used it is still real. especially for those of us who have been on the wrong end of it, it is still highly disrespectful none the less.

20. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy.......___________ing God!!

this is the erasure we've been talking about, your only transiting, your deconstructing what was dumped on you by society, you'll be fine when you get a man, or if you get a woman you were straight all along, :bang::bang::bang::***::tantrum::eusa_doh: yes that was emotional.:dry:

it's bad enough to get it from the hetro world, but to get it from the lgbt community as well is, disheartening to say the least.:icon_sad: