1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Huge Step

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Bec, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Bec

Bec

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello everyone.

So, after accepting myself as a lesbian this fall, I came out to my husband in December. We are working on separating, after 20 years and 2 kids this is rather difficult, especially since he is a wonderful person that I will always love. That process is for another post.
    Anyway,the huge step is that I just came out to my 14 year old daughter. Do you know what she said? She said "Oh, thank GOD! I thought you were dying and that's why you've been so upset the last couple of months!" She knows that things are strained between my husband and I, and that we are likely divorcing. She said she loves me and this doesn't change anything, that she couldn't care less who I love, that she just wants me to be happy....I asked if she was embarrassed or ashamed of me and she looked at me like I was crazy. She said she was sorry I didn't feel like I could be my authentic self and that it must have been awful for me to hide who I was for all this time..."it's not healthy to hide who you are, Mom." I guess she has been listening all these years....

She wanted to know if I knew my "type" yet, and the funniest thing she said was...."well, you better make sure your girlfriend likes to shop, because I hate that you don't! Also, hotties only, Mom."

I have an amazing, accepting daughter.

2. MayButterfly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Wow! You are very lucky to get that wonderful and supportive reaction! You must be very relieved! I'm happy for you.

Did you have a set day you decided to tell your children or did you just do it? I was going to tell them last week but my husband said we should seek therapy to get ideas and then never said another word and I lost my nerve. So now I think I am waiting until after my daughter has volleyball tryouts next week to not distract her, but second guessing that too. :frowning2:

It is hard. EC helps a lot.

3. YeahpIdk

Wowowowow! I love this. :slight_smile: Kids are amazing. She sounds like a smart, open minded, super caring person. Congrats on a cool kid!

4. Chicagoblue

(!) SO raw, so genuine. I'm humbled. Congratulationssssss....

5. Shadowsylke

That's so wonderful, congrats! Kids can really "get it", even more than us adults sometimes!

6. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have kids but have heard from many people that kids truly want their parents to be happy, no matter what -- same as you do for them.

Glad to hear it went so well!

7. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Amazing, congratulations on raising such an awesome daughter!

8. Xvision

First of all congratz! This is a amazing, delightful story. I love her reaction and her personality. You have a fantastic daughter. :eusa_danc

#8 Xvision, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  9. yeehaw

Aww. Thanks for sharing your story. It's a wonderful one. And your daughter sounds like a really great kid!