1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First date in a long time - freaking out

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by JenInNY, Mar 3, 2016.

1. JenInNY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I took the advice from my last post and decided to join a dating site. I've been messaging with someone for about two weeks and we've decided to meet tomorrow.

It's my first date in like seven years (ten years since I've been with a girl) and I'm completely panicked. I feel like I'm back in high school with sweaty palms at the prom. How do I greet her? Shake hands? No, too business formal. Hug? Is that too forward? Cheesy wave? Definitely not.

I think we'll be OK on things to talk about; we've been getting along quite well online.

Another stupid thing. My previous relationships (only 2) with women have been friends that have turned into more. So I have questions that have never come up before, like who pays? If it was a man, he would on the first date. Do I kiss her at the end of the night? Again, with a guy, he would initiate.

See? I'm completely irrationally panicked. Help?!?!?!?!?

2. Distant Echo

Lol ok.
    Greeting - not a handshake lol. A small hug maybe?
    Paying - who asked who out? I go with the person who asked pays, unless you have come to an agreement. in my case, She paid last time, I'm paying this time (well that's the plan anyway lol - not sure I'm going to get away with it :wink: )
    End of night kiss? If it feels right, why not?

You'll both be nervous, but you'll know pretty quick if you like each other :wink:

3. Really

I say take the guessing out of it. Text her and tell her you'll be hugging her hello and goodbye but she's welcome to wing it as she sees fit.

Haha. I'm so romantic.

As for paying, if she offers to pay for the meal, you could always take care of the parking or whatever else needs paying for.