1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be more open about being bisexual whist in a hetero relationship?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by dirtyshirt84, Mar 5, 2016.

1. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds obvious but does anyone have any advice about how to be more open about being bisexual whilst being in a heterosexual relationship? My husband and some of my close friends and some family know I’m bisexual but as I am in a long term relationship with a man everyone else just assumes I’m straight (at least I think they do!). I feel really nervous about telling people – even people I know will be fine with it – and I’m wondering if it is some kind of internalised homophobia. I’m not sure of exactly how to say it and I find I’m constantly stopping myself from saying things as I’ve had the mentality of keeping it a secret for a long time. I wonder if I have ever really come to terms with my sexuality properly. I think I would feel happier if I was more open about it though, especially with gay friends. It would be good to feel part of the LGBT community although this also scares me too! Any advice much appreciated :slight_smile:

2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in almost the same situation as you. I am bisexual and married. My wife has known that I'm bisexual for as long as she's known me. Like you, I would like to be more "out" about my orientation, and I'd like to feel part of the LGBT community more. For me, the biggest struggle is how to come out to various friends, family, coworkers, etc. It's never easy for anyone in the LGBT community. And there is an added complication when you are bi and married. I wonder how to answer questions such as "well if you are happily married, why even talk about it?" and such. There are a lot of reasons - to be true to who I really am, to be honest to those I care about, etc. But it's not an easy thing.

The one piece of advice that has worked well for me is to embrace your bisexuality internally and be happy with it yourself, first. If that is who you are (like me), embrace it and allow yourself to be happy with it. It is a valid orientation, and despite the myths, misunderstandings, and biases in our culture, it is real and it's great.

I'm not as sure how to proceed on being more open and more out. I'm wondering about that, too. I've been thinking about maybe wearing a bi pride item, like a wristband in the blue/purple/pink colors, or maybe a little bi pride flag pin. I've seen gay friends wear rainbow items like that, so that's where I got the idea.

For what it's worth, you're not the only one in this situation. (*hug*) Good luck, and please share any successes or other experiences you might have, I could really benefit from any help, too. Thanks!

3. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Funny t-shirts? I kinda want that one that has the periodic table Bismuth on it. A boy boy couple came in to our shop to get their wedding invitations done. And one was wearing a t-shirt that said Pride is Bigger in Texas. It had the outline of the state and our colors, it was nice.

4. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Adray. Nice to talk to people in the same situation! My husband has also known from the start of our relationship so that helps. I know what you mean about people questioning why you feel the need to be more open about it when you are married (and we also have a toddler), but it is part of who I am and I want to express that and be proud of it. I don't think it is healthy to feel like you have to hide part of your identity.

I wonder if I underestimate some people and hope they may be much more understanding than I imagine. When I have told people in the past I have ended up feeling like I have to justify myself.

This is very true. I think I am pretty happy being bisexual within myself (in an ideal society I think it would be amazing!) its when it comes to expressing it to other people I find it difficult. I am a fairly shy person as well so that probably doesn't help.

Did you read this article about bisexuality? I found it quite interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/m...c-quest-to-prove-bisexuality-exists.html?_r=0

T-Shirts/Wristbands are a good idea. I might do the 'celebrate pride' temporary profile on facebook. Could be a good first step.

There are some friends I am thinking of telling, I just need to think about wording and what is the best/easiest way to say it.

5. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bisexuality needs a name that does not have "sex" in it. When I decided I was bi (I thought I was gay) it was 1982. "Bisexual" was a dirty word and I felt like a pervert. Like I was making a choice to be deviant. (not how I feel now). When I met my wife I told her I was not a 0 on the Kinsey scale...cop out...I have never corrected in 30 + years of marriage.

I constantly tell people I am bi. But, in a joking environment. So, no one really believes it. Even after I told my wife that a guy tried to seduce me and how much I liked it (in a very serious tone) she didn't ask.

I think that I can live my life without my sexuality "out" and be happy. So, it seems easier just to let it go and not bring it up. Sometimes I would really like to sit down with another bisexual my age and talk about how it feels. But, there is no real way to find out who is bi without outing myself.

How about a secret wrist band that says "not a zero" lol

#5 Nickw, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  6. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to think I could live my life without being "out" (or only out to a few people) and be happy but I'm not so sure now. I feel sometimes like I am lying by omission. I also used to be in a relationship with a woman when I was younger and I would like to be able to bring that up in conversation sometimes. I would also be open to being with a woman again if I was single. But obviously it is different for everyone.

I know what you mean about not knowing who is bi...there may be lots of us out there in the same situation? I like the idea of the wrist band :lol:

7. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand, somewhat, about how great it would be to be able to openly talk about a past relationship. I ran into my childhood love after 20 some years. Because I am such a joker, he and I were able to talk openly in a group of friends about the old days. I think only the two of us understood it was a real conversation.

It felt really good.

8. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know what you mean Nickw, I think being able to have totally honest conversations really helps