1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've never told anyone this

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Justasking100, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've previously been told I was had obsessions. I can see why I would be diagnosed that. I didn't want to be gay, it made me very depressed.
    But being with a man has turned me on and made me cum when thinking about it. I was trying think about women and that didn't turn me on or make me cum hard. Sorry for being crude.

I am sooooo scared about it. I don't know what to do. Yes I could be bisexual, but part of me just says that I'm gay and that's it as I've been attracted ie felt drawn towards men (I've never told anyone this) but too scared ever to do anything

I don't want to ever hurt my girlfriend and she doesn't deserve it. I don't like the selfish person I'm becoming.

I've desperately tried to be straight but I'm not sure if I can say that I am if being with a man turns me on, albeit I find it difficult to be with a man in reality.

Any advice?

I definitely can't say that I'm 100% straight.

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2016 at 05:53 AM ----------

Is that what 'attraction' is. Who you are drawn towards, like a pull towards them?

2. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

I am 27 and just 3 months ago I was on this place. Had a erotic dream (most vivid ever) involving a guy. This lead to the most powerful sexual release of my life. I was embarrassed, I men I hadn't woke up like that since middle school. Anyway, it was hard accepting the fact I'm gay, after thinking back I realized I have always been gay and just repressed it. I'm married, and I live my wife I'm just not in love with her. It's not fair to her, I can't be the man she needs. And it's not fair for me to stay, she for sure can't be the man I need (lol trying to use humor to distract from the scary future ahead). EC has really helped me.

Now advice, this was given to me here, take a breath. Don't rush into anything. Also you have to make the best choice for you, repressing this will only make things harder down the road.

3. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Further complicated by the fact I have a beautiful young daughter who's life I don't want to ruin.

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2016 at 06:20 AM ----------

What I actually would like someone to say is focus on your existing relationship for the sake of your little girl

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2016 at 06:27 AM ----------

I guess though I have difficulty imagining intimacy, ie being affectionate - cuddling, holding hands, peck on the cheek etc with a man the way I am with a woman - I would say I'm very affectionate.

4. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your right, my wife and I don't have kids. I wonder, say in 20 years your daughter is in a relationship. The gay is struggling with the same issue you are... What you want him to do? Push it away, even if it is means there is a risk he may not be fully in love with her? Or him to figure it out, do if he can't be everything to her he can be honest so she can find someone who can? The reason I ask is (my parents are divorced) because we learn from our parents what love is, and what's acceptable in relationships. Hope I didn't over step.

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, welcome to EC!

This is a great place to come and talk and learn more from others' stories, so my first suggestion is keep posting and reading other people's posts.

My story's a little different than yours, in my case it's about denial until late in life, rather than realising late in life that I'm not straight. It can be quite a terrifying process, but you're making the first step, and each step will bring you closer to better understanding of yourself.

It seems like you're spinning your wheels in trying to figure out if you're bi or gay, and I think perhaps that question is not necessarily the most important at this stage. Start by acknowledging your feelings for men. What do you feel, what do you want, etc. And try to build your questions and actions from there.

In terms of being selfish - thinking about your needs and your desires is not selfish. This may turn out to be a process that hurts your girlfriend, and believe me I understand the feelings of guilt and concern about hurting your partner, but it's important for both you and your girlfriend for you to understand your needs better. That's not being selfish, it's being self-aware. And in the end, everyone benefits more from you making decisions based on greater self-awareness rather than denial.

I'm far from figuring out much of this for myself. I understand your fears and worries.

I wish you the best as you start figuring all of these questions out for yourself.

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2016 at 06:31 AM ----------

I also have a little girl, I know that this complicates things very much. I'm not sure I'm doing things right, but, I can say that for myself I have started to realise that I have to set aside questions about how this impacts my marriage and think about me and my needs, for the good of my whole family. Only then can I come back to the question of what does it mean for my relationship with my husband, and the life we've established for our daughter. I say that this is for the good of my whole family because my husband and my daughter will suffer as much as I would if I went on as usual and denied my sexuality.

6. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Being bisexual would make some sense. Sounds daft but I'm an all rounder - jack of all trades master of none. Left handed writer right handed sportsman. There could be something in that. Though I know this has nothing really to do with sexuality but it does for my personality.

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2016 at 06:37 AM ----------

It's more of a denial in my case as well. Locking all thoughts and fears away in a little box in my head until they all burst out every now and again.
    I guess I can feel the attraction but really struggle with it being wrong. But also not knowing one if it would be something I would like in reality. My fantasies are not sufficiently detailed that I can say what I really want, it tends to be more of a generic man I think about.

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2016 at 06:39 AM ----------

I don't know what I would say to my daughter. I guess I would suggest giving him a little space and not to rush him. You do owe it to your little one to try and be a family and not give up at the first hurdle. If he's bisexual then a relationship can work. After all there is nothing wrong with window shopping.

7. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You right nothing wrong with window shopping. Just don't put nothing on layaway :wink:

Take your time. And no matter what, you can be an amazing dad to your little girl. I'm gonna send you a hug now (*hug*)

8. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you. Welled up a little.

9. Innsanchez

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    explore yourself more, but to avoid unfairness if its no too much to ask try to ask your gf some space between the two of you for you to move free.

10. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. I second this. It may not be easy for her to agree for you to have space, but opening the dialogue with your girlfriend is a good start.

My husband doesn't want our relationship to be open. I'm trying to figure out ways to honor that and still explore my feelings. It's not easy to skirt that line but I'll share what I learn with you if you are trying to do the same at some point.

11. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I feel like a big coward

12. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The questions you're asking and the fears you have don't make you a coward. This is huge, a huge part of you and your life, it's not easy, be easy on yourself.

(*hug*)

13. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See you are taking bad about a friend of mine, calling yourself a coward... Not cool... :wink: Yea you are most for sure not a coward. The fact that you are being honest, and here working through it makes you a very brave man. It sucks being in this situation, but no matter what you deserve to be happy and fulfilled in every aspect of life.

14. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks. I'm working against what therapists have told me in the past, 'it's an obsession' and not you. But that all well and good but the fact that my 'straight' relationships have made me depressed and questioning leaves me where I am. I'm going against all advice to think of it as a sexuality struggle but I believe it is. I mean anxiety doesn't make me think of some men ie early Harrison ford as 'hot'.

I do struggle with the idea of two men being together. I am suffering a little homophobia on that front though so my apologies in advance.

Part of me thinks though that is never be able to perform or be with a man cause I'm just not comfortable about the idea.

I've been with plenty of women to know that I'm comfortable enough with intimacy with them, I so I guess I ain't 100% gay.

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2016 at 07:26 AM ----------

Rather than my teenage years being about having feelings for men I was more likely laughed by and joking about it to friends and calling someone 'gay' in a bad way. I guess I do have internalised homophobia.

I can def see beauty in women, as can we all, I guess though it's I do get the feeling of repulsion, not the disgust but the the opposite of attraction whey they are in my head. It's different when I'm with girl in reality as I'm very affectionate but in my head and imagination it difficult to imagine and I feel like I'm forcing myself.

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2016 at 07:28 AM ----------

I did think about suicide earlier this year. Thinking it would be a way out of this but surely that's not the answer?? I know I won't but I thought it was better for all concerned if I wasn't here.

15. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You got to find new therapist. If your attracted to guys, but realize the idea of being with a man is an issue because of homophobia (which I'm guessing was kinda ingrained in you your whole life) that can't be good for yourself esteem. Are you still on therapy?

I mean I know that it is hard, I use to pray God not let me gay. I had gay friends and never really felt weird about the idea of gay sex (any wireder then I did about hetero sex anyway) I just didn't want people thinking the abuse made me gay or thinking that what happened was OK because I was gay. That internal struggle was hard.

#15 I'mStillStanding, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  16. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree about finding a new therapisr, try searching for an lgbt friendly therapist.

17. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    To be fair my therapist is saying actually it doesn't matter if it's an obsession or I have feelings for men if you love your partner and want to be with her. I guess it's more doctors and therapists in the past. This one is someone I have told things I've never told anyone else.
    I guess I had a chance to experiment when single a few years ago turned the guy down as I was like 'thanks but no thanks'. So this is where I think the cowardly thing comes in.

But then maybe my brain is just not working properly. I have had genuine feelings for women in the past but perhaps that was when I hadn't realised the whole gay thing. People wouldn't be leave me if I told them.

I figure though how can I explain to them when I'm lying to myself.

18. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My best friend was open to us being together but I just couldn't. I wasn't ready to accept who I am. Part of me is like everything happens for a reason (we why went in totally different directions he got involved with drugs) the other part is like you wimp you could have had an amazing time with him. I can't look back I can only look forward.

And my wife, I love her so much. We will always have a connection. We were virgins when we got married. So we got to experience that together. (Now I know have plenty and I mean plenty that I've never done she is really conservative so certain things were never an option). That will still be something we always have. And I will look back and be thankful for our time together. But it's just not for me (sex with a woman I mean).

19. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    What tells you it is not for you?

20. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Justasking

I could have written your letter 35 years ago but sort of from the other direction. I thought I was gay but was attracted to women. Back then there was "normal" and "queer". Nothing between the two. Since I was attracted to men, I was "queer". So, I accepted that. But, I was really attracted to women too. I thought I was just a pervert.

You may be bisexual. Congrats! Once I accepted this, I decided I sort of liked it. It is who I am. The real difficulty is how you can express bisexuality in a hetero relationship. This really depends on the specific relationship and there are no clear guidelines that I know of.

Someone suggested sharing with your girlfriend. This is a good idea. I did not do this with enough clarity with my wife. And, it did not seem to matter for 3 decades. But, now I wish I had done it since it will be harder to do now.

Fantasies do not, necessarily, mimic reality. So, be careful with that. Fantasies can sometimes be "just trying something on" to see if it fits. Nothing wrong with that either...as long as you avoid obsessing over them or recognize it is an obsession.