1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So anxious lately.....

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Carpe noctem 16, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Carpe noctem 16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I recently accepted the fact that i'am attracted to guys.This new acceptance has caused a level of anxiety that i never experienced before. It literally took me like an hour of just driving around to calm down the other night. It definetly feels good knowing that im no longer denying what i feel but its frightening because i do not know how to act or what to think. Nonetheless, i still feel anxious, have u guys had similar experiences? :confused:

2. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God yes, the other day I had to take Xanax to attend my nephew's birthday party. Or hard I feel like two people. The real me, gay and ready to join the community. Then the public me, married taking care of my grandparents with only 3 people who know what's going 2 of which are not supportive and the other busy all the time. My therapist even commented on how I'll answer everything with two totally different answers. Sometimes I feel going to lose my mind. And then what, die a virgin (obviously I've sleep with my wife but she is the only person and since I've never been with a man so I'm taking back my v card lol)

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps it's not exactly anxiety, maybe it's a kind of excitement you have never experienced before..

Upon accepting myself, I felt a strange lightness, hard to describe, but something many have described as the heaviness of the fear of being discovered just suddenly lifting...and this can cause a kind of vertigo, where you are unsure of your bearings, unsure of all the things you used to believe in.

Examine this possibility, you may find better words to describe it...maybe it's a feeling you will remember for the rest of your life, a kind of scary euphoria perhaps...

4. demidiluvian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know if it's anxiety or not (probably is?), but I think about this stuff pretty much all the time: Who will I come out to first? Should I tell my wife, yep, ready to plunk my money down on Gay? Then close friends? The reverse? This seems absurd, absurd, absurd. Or, what will this lead to? Separate rooms and we both date? Divorce? Will she be vengeful in a divorce? How will I avoid relationships like this one? How does this impact my son? Ok, so assuming I'm someday out and in a position to meet people, how does someone with no experience even start doing that? Will I get all the way there suddenly feel like ... nope? Do I need a fitness coach? Is that dumb? Will I ever actually feel settled about any of this, or is this my life now? Etc., etc.

Maybe I've just gotten very used to feeling this way - frog in the slowly warming pot of water.

5. MelShill

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have mini panic attacks when i think about it. Then i feel completely anxious when i think about coming out fully. But i think thats because im not ready to. I think i still have some way to go before i can totally accept myself.

6. Logan40

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yep, I'm much better now that it has been about a year since I started to accept myself. However, I still sometimes feel like a fraud and wonder if it is real. However, I do remember having a few mini sobbing panic attacks when I first started to acknowledge my long pent up feelings. Therapy helped me get through it.

MelShill - I'm still not totally out, and am still not sure how that would work should I find myself needing to be (e.g. entering a relationship), but I've told some friends and a couple of family members all who have been supportive.

#6 Logan40, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  7. TravelerMe

I've definitely experienced both. It comes and goes and have to really be patient so as not to compromise time with my family.

Excitement when I think of the hopeful future of dating a guy and being with one forever then anxious when I return to the reality of everyday because I just can't yet and want it now.
    Excitement when I chat and skype with a great guy I met recently but anxious because we can't be together.

8. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Traveler that is perfect way to describe the feeling between excitement, fear, happiness, sadness, patience and urgency :wink:

9. TravelerMe

Carpe when do you feel most anxious? Is there anything you do or that goes on that makes it worse?

I've chatted online and enjoy window shopping; it can make me feel alive and open up a little but then I need to shut it down if it goes to far; anxiousness creeps in. Very few guys online want to meet for coffee lol

10. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes window shopping is OK, just don't put anything on layaway he he

11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out for me definitely brought a rush of feelings, my mind was everywhere. I think I understand what you're going through.

The best thing I could do was try to focus on one question/worry/fear at a time. It didn't always work, but little by little the anxiety and distraction relaxed.

You are making a brave step, working towards more fully knowing yourself. Kudos to you! I wish you the bet as you move forward.

#11 baristajedi, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  12. TrueSelf

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I found this website because I was looking for others gay/bi/questioning who are experiencing anxiety / panic attacks! Mine started and as I realized I was coming to terms with some of it, my symptoms seemed to lesson. So I decided, the truth will set me free, right? In many ways it has, and I'm grateful. But 25 years later I still have the anxiety / panic (and no, it's not this way for everyone). But I still believe that living in truth is the answer . . . I think I just have more truth to uncover for myself.

13. Carpe noctem 16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you everyone for sharing. Sorry for the late responses, had a long weekend.

Warrner-- I'm not there yet but i experienced it a little bit this weekend. I went out with my best friend and we met two canadian guys at the bar. I can honestly say that i was really attracted to the guy. I would of acted differently if my friend wasnt there. These guys hung out with us the whole night we even went back to there hotel room to continue drinking. It was a challenge!

Great whale-- I have no doubt that i'm excited about the whole thing to! However, Friday night was the first night i went out knowing that i'm attracted to guys. I never suffer from anxiety but friday night..... i felt something that i've never felt before. I had to pull over and control my emotions. Its almost exactly what you described.

Demi-- OMG Those thoughts go through my head all dam day. Pretty much everyone in my family is not nice to the lgbt community. I'm so terrified about all this!! For now im just taking it day by day, thats the best i can do for now.

Melshill-- Im defitely not ready either and i'm terrified! I'm thinking of meeting other lgbt members here to talk about all this and get more support.

Logan 40-- I will be going to therapy soon bc this is all too overwhelming.

Traveler-- I want to talk and skype with a guy thats understanding and basically a nice person. But will that just make me stress more? I feel my urges will get worse and lead to me making a mistake.

Barista-- Thank you. This is a very difficult but at the same time it feels good inside. I finally came to terms with my true self. I've been going through so much emotions like never before in life.

Trueself-- I cant imagine living like this for years. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

Replying to all you guys was very therapeautic! I dont know where i'll be without EC.

14. YeahpIdk

yes! I had insane anxiety. I couldn't sit still. And I too would go for hour long drives, usually listening to Lana Del Rey. I would also meet up with my best friend CONSTANTLY, as she's the only one who knew at that time. Once I needed to vent about my crush and thoughts so badly, couldn't sit still while feeling so bad that I was always coming to her in a panic that I massaged her feet as I told her my issues, haha. It's hard to wrap your head around, and having a racing mind/a lot of contemplation is totally normal. I also barely spoke to my mom for a year because I was so confused and anxious all the time. I stayed in my head. Just be careful not to make yourself sick. Stress can do that. So when you find yourself in moments of extreme anxiety. Try some breathing techniques to calm yourself.

15. Carpe noctem 16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    YeahpIdk--It defintely was crazy anxiety! So I went to starbucks since im addicted to caffee latte's and that helped. Now this is the first night that i went through this and i found myself smiling at the starbucks guy. The guy gives me a free caramel frapp. Let me tell you, i didnt know what to think. Yes, i know that maybe it was just an extra frapp but it was the first time i acted like that towards a guy. Then the next night im at that bar and we meet these cute cool ass canadian guys, im like WTF! My best friend has no clue of what im going thru nobody does just you guys.

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2016 at 01:01 AM ----------

YeahpIdk----oh yea, lana del rey and cedric gervais songs summertime sadness and young and beatiful are the shit!!

16. YeahpIdk

Haha, I would go to Starbucks too!! We sound the same. My breakdown was during Lana's Ultraviolence release. So I'd just drive and drink and blast that whole CD a million times. It was definitely therapeutic. Though it didn't help the anxiety or confusion much. But my crush was driving me crazy. It wasn't just a coming out thing for me. There was someone messing with me in the mix.

Now I wanna go listen to Ultraviolence again. So good.

Also don't get me started on Canadians. I have a strange thing with them. I'm always attracted to them. Hahahaha. And Australians.

#16 YeahpIdk, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  17. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well glad you had s good time out (with you friend and the Canadians) although I'm waiting to settle things with the Mrs first, the first time a guy hit on me since I started this process was such a rush. Made me feel better and worse. Better because I knew I was right about this. I've never felt like that flirting with any woman. And worse because part of me hated I couldn't act on it and the other part felt guilty because of the wife.

Free coffee, that's awesome

18. Carpe noctem 16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeahpidk--- i listened a little bit to Ultraviolence sounds good. Definitely the type of music i would play right now with all my emotions going bananas. Also, driving helps me alot. I drove 18 wheelers for about a year and a half and i loved it. Especially out west driving in the mountains. My mind has never been that clear!

Warrner--- yea i have never felt that before. Cant believe that i've been hiding this feelings all these years.

19. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Interesting you made this thread..
    For weeks I've been waking up several times a night, some nights on almost every hour, in cold sweat. Never, ever has this happened to me before!

It happens during the day too if. I drift into personal sexuality questions/thoughts/recalling stuff that happened to me so far..
    My labs are normal, I am at this point attributing this to anxiety (subconscious thoughts and feelings).

Have no other explanation for this. Looking back and evaluating all the stuff I've gone through and am going through on subconscious level, I guess it would be enough to severely disrupt my sleep patterns and body response to stress.

Hang in there:icon_wink

20. TravelerMe

Well for me I'm not as worried about making a mistake as you say; if you mean hookup yeah I suppose that could lead to it but you just have to have discipline. I'm so happy when I get to be me and I chat and hang with gay friends.

I did stray when I first came of age so to speak but 10 years of a sexless marriage made me indifferent to any guilt etc. I've met some really great guys via chat etc. and become good friends.

Couple weeks ago I went to a gay bar while traveling. It was so nice to just sit and hangout for a couple of hours. Just sat at the bar and talked with a couple of guys; I felt so comfortable; it kind of gave me energy for the whole next week. I suppose if I lingered and had a few too many drinks I could have got into trouble but I went there with the mindset of just having a drink or two and that was that.

Yes the longing and anxiousness comes when you want what you can't have but little doses of being me keep me going and help manage the desire for what's not yet possible.