1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to Rip The Band-Aid Off

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MLArmageddon, Mar 16, 2016.

1. MLArmageddon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm getting really close to the actually 'I'm gay' conversation with my wife & I'm terrified. Just reading other's posts makes me feel sick with worry but I know having tiptoed around it for months (I've already said 'I've been having fantasies about men' -my wife says 'OK - if you don't act on them' and 'I'm 'bisexual'' - 'OK, always known you were.' says my wife), I've finally got to tell the real truth and rip the band-aid off.
    The problem is that I have no idea of the answers to the questions that will follow:
    'Do you want to leave the home/ marriage?' no, not there yet....
    'Do you want a gay relationship?' yes, but it's complicated...
    'Do you want a open marriage' - yeah, fat chance...
    'Why do you still respond sexually/ physically to me?' - also, it's complicated...
    'Are you sure you're not bisexual and are a bit screwed up at the moment due to dealing with other things? - Hell, I wish I was. Do you think I'd be saying this if I wasn't already pretty sure....
    'What do you want to do?' - I don't know....
    'Have you always known?' - yes, that I was bisexual, maybe gay if I'd ever let myself go there, but it's complicated....

So, am I ready for this talk. No.
    Do I have to do it? Yes.
    When? & Where?
    Any advice?

---------- Post added 16th Mar 2016 at 10:50 AM ----------

I guess either I have to figure this out before I talk to her or ‘fess up & say I don’t know, I just thought I’d destroy your life/ our shared future without knowing why & what for & what I want?

#1 MLArmageddon, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am in exactly the same place you are mate I think. Have had epiphanies over the last couple of days. It's a horrible place to be.

3. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would suggest not doing what my ex did and blurting it out over our ritual breakfast at the McDonalds across the street from work (yeah, we work together, fun). Of course, that wasn't his intention, but he hadn't figured out the where or when and was so distressed it just kind of came tumbling out.

If the weather's nice, maybe go to a private place in a park? Or take a walk? Somewhere she can have some space to process? If possible, take separate vehicles or arrange to let her have the vehicle and arrange a ride for yourself.

I'd also suggest a weekend or whenever you both have some time to be away from work and responsibilities for a day or so, assuming you'll each have people you can turn to for support.

And instead of thinking of it as - I'm destroying our lives, maybe reframe it to - I'm giving myself the space to be honest which will give us the space to be truly happy in the future. Imagine your future trapped in the closet, just because you don't know what you want and you feel selfish or whatever. My ex seriously contemplated suicide and I have no doubt he would have at least attempted if he had stayed closeted and hurting.

My heart goes out to you, and to Justasking100 - as well as to your partners. You all deserve the best life has to offer and staying in the closet because it will hurt someone else less is not the best, I promise. It hurts in the end, but less than it hurts in the middle, and so much less than it hurts in the beginning.

Also - straightspouse.org - resources including hopefully someone local your partners can talk to. And if you want, you can let them know some random crazy woman on an internet forum is thinking and caring about them. Best wishes.

4. TravelerMe

I could have written your post ML. I don't have any advice since I'm not there yet but when I think of a future where I can finally be me I can't imagine anything else that would make me happy. In the end I think my wife we'll be happier too; she's really not right now anyway. Something to think about. Love what driedroses said above about being honest.

5. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    MLA

I see you write a lot of "want" rather than "need" in your post. From what you have posted now, and earlier, you "need" to be gay. This is not a choice or an option. You must remember that you are not "doing" anything to your wife.

You have some very extenuating circumstances with the child that requires so much care and the financial difficulties (how difficult) of separating from your wife. You may have no real option but to come to some sort of an open arrangement that allows you to explore your sexuality. You also mentioned lack of intimacy with your wife and I am unsure what your needs are with this. That will affect the details of how you proceed...obviously. You may need to be sure you understand how you feel about this before talking to your wife...it will come up pretty quickly.

You also mentioned doubts, earlier, about your attractiveness to men. I am going to go out on a limb here and buck conventional wisdom maybe...I think you should go out and flirt with some men. You don't have to go home with them (probably shouldn't yet) But, it could help you gain some confidence and assurance. As a bisexual, I have continued to do this flirting for decades. For whatever reason, for me, it feels good to keep that part of my sexuality alive.

Best of luck.

#5 Nickw, Mar 16, 2016
  6. amomwhoknows

What is your plan if she asks you to leave? She can't kick you out (at least in the US) but things sure can get complicated and she may ask you to give her space. It is advised here to have a plan....

For her, this is likely to be "one more thing" in what is a very difficult time for you all, financial issues, special needs child.

#6 amomwhoknows, Mar 16, 2016
  7. MLArmageddon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks to all of you for your advice. Really appreciated.
    I don't think my wife would ask me to leave (given our circumstances) but would I be so wrong to say it would almost be a relief in forcing the issue that I guess is going to eventually happen, anyway. That said I don't know where I'd go or what I do...

I plan to tell her at the weekend - thanks driedroses - McDonalds wasn't on my list of suitable venues for the conversation but it made me smile, nevertheless...!

NickW - 'need' & 'want' - yeah that's difficult. 'Need' feels like I'm putting my needs above that of my kids & wife and makes me feel a bit like some kind of sociopath as they didn't ask for any of this. 'Want' expresses better what I feel but am in no place to achieve, yet.....

I'm seeing a friend at the end of the week to talk things through and maybe that will help clarify things for me.

I'm just so tired of thinking, ruminating and worrying. I need some peace....

8. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trying to tie up all the loose ends and have answers to every question is what kept me on the verge of coming out, but never quite achieving it, for almost a year. In the end, the pressure to come out and damn the consequences simply became overwhelming, and though I did not blurt it out spontaneously, I did set myself a deadline and stuck by it.

9. MLArmageddon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why can't even do this right?
    I agonised for hours. Eventually, I plucked after the courage to tell my wife after the kids were in bed.
    So, I tried to rip the band-aid off.
    It didn't pan out remotely as I planned:
    I said:'I don't think I'm bisexual, I'm gay'
    Her response: 'OK, what makes you think that?'
    'I'm only sexually attracted to men, I only have fantasies about men, not women, but I haven't acted on it.'
    Her response: ' Do you want to?'
    'Maybe...'
    Her response: 'Will you?'
    'No, I wouldn't cheat, I love you & that's why I'm telling you this, so that we can discuss what to do.'
    Her next question: 'Are you still attracted to me?'
    So, stupidly, I tell the truth: 'Yes, I still respond emotionally & sexually to you, but not to any other women at all & if we weren't together I would definitely want to be with a man.'
    Her response: ' Well, that's OK, we would only have a problem if you want that more than you want me or our marriage. Do you want that?'
    So, again I try to tell the truth: 'No, not at the moment but maybe in the future.'
    Her response: ' You're going through a lot of things at the moment, so it's a hypothetical problem. I still think you're bisexual.'
    And I cave: 'OK, we'll talk again if that happens....'
    Why can't I just say ' I'm gay, I want out.'
    Why can't she say 'You're gay, get the hell out of here.'
    I'm such a f***ing coward....

10. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey MLArmageddon,

You are not a coward (*hug*) You found the courage to initiate this difficult conversation with your wife, and it didn't go as you expected. No worries, you can regroup and bring it up again in a day or two.

Before you do, let's take a step back. The problem isn't that you are a coward, but rather that you don't seem to have clarity on what you want. Based on this dialog I very much get the sense that you don't want to dissolve the marriage.
    Yet later in your post you berated yourself for not saying 'I'm gay, I want out.' Can you help me understand your thought process here? Which version of the truth is your North Star and why? Once you have clarity on that, the rest will take care of itself.

(&&&)

#10 SiennaFire, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  11. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i can see my conversation about being bisexual going the same way. Unless we have a clear idea of what we want (or need) and are willing to demand it (or ask in my case), we really cannot expect our wives to fill in the blanks the way we would like them to.

12. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ML, I'm in no position to offer advice. Told my wife I was gay yesterday. It was hard, and today has been blah. But like I said in my thread, this is the first day in weeks I woke up not feeling like a liar. I know things are going to be difficult, and it's hard to see how this can work out, however I'm being honest and I know I'm doing the best thing I can in a bad situation. That's all we can do. My thoughts are with you.

13. HereWeGo

Dude, I totally feel you on the caving thing. This has been going on for a month for me. I say I'm gay, she says how can you be certain, I say "maybe you're right" (even though I know I'M the one who's right). She gets a boost of confidence, we both live in some sort of denial and move on with our day.

Try not to beat yourself up about it. She is definitely in a state of denial right and and you don't want to hurt her. It may take awhile for the facts to sink in... At least I hope. You took a big step and you're a little closer to openly being who you are. Good luck.

14. MLArmageddon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks to all of you again.
    I know I'm struggling with this & I think I wanted my wife to be less 'good' with what I said. But, yes you're right, I suppose I cannot expected her to work out what I'm saying if I'm not 100% sure what I want.
    The problem is that I'm not sure some of the time.
    I suppose it would be best to list my certainties:
    1. I am gay not bi
    2. I cannot see a open/ mixed-orientation marriage working for us if I pursue my desire for a relationship with a man.
    3. I don't want to cheat - my wife & children (& I) deserve better than that.
    4. I need to remain involved with & be a good dad to my kids (especially the special needs child).
    5. I don't want to hurt my wife any more than is necessary and I want her to be happy and be fulfilled in the future, which I guess I cannot give her.
    So, I suppose I re-group & try again in a few days......

15. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's try to get you more certain about what you want before you try again. Let's get you to a place where you are confident enough about what you want to drive the conversation, and we can help you think this through on EC.

I have some questions on your certainties.

1. I am gay not bi
    If you are gay, how do you feel about your wife sexually and romantically? Try to be super honest.

2. I cannot see a open/ mixed-orientation marriage working for us if I pursue my desire for a relationship with a man.
    Is this how you feel, or how you think your wife feels? Let's keep this option open as a possibility.

3. I don't want to cheat - my wife & children (& I) deserve better than that.
    OK, this option is off the table.

4. I need to remain involved with & be a good dad to my kids (especially the special needs child).
    I agree. It's important for gay dads to stay in their kids' lives. I'm not sure how divorce works in England. Do you have the option for co-parenting if you were to separate? How do you envision this working if you were to separate?

5. I don't want to hurt my wife any more than is necessary and I want her to be happy and be fulfilled in the future, which I guess I cannot give her.
    Unless you stay in the closet, you will need to hurt your wife somewhat. Your stated goal of minimizing that is correct. The answer to question #1 comes into play here.

Try to be honest because you need to get clarity on what you want.

#15 SiennaFire, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  16. MLArmageddon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OK some honest answers:
    1. I love my wife but there's not the sexual interest there was & it is not ever going to come back.
    2. I really believe that my wife wouldn't accept an open marriage & I don't want this.I want to have a real relationship with another man, not casual hook ups timed around when this is convenient to me or my wife. I think she deserves the same if I cannot give her the intimacy she deserves,
    3. Yes, not going to cheat, but the need to be with a man is nearly consuming me...
    4. I could probably manage all of the above with time but here's where the real problem is:
    My daughter needs round the clock care (severe autism & epilepsy, mental age 3 years at 15 years). She doesn't accept anyone other my wife & I caring for her & cannot cope with being left with anyone else. If I were to leave this whole burden would fall on my wife. I work full time but my wife is my daughter's full time carer & I guess I help as much as I can. We certainly couldn't afford 2 homes able to accommodate my daughter's needs. At best we could find the finances for a one bed studio/ apartment for me as I'd need to continue to finance our existing home & other kids as well as my wife. I would therefore become an absentee Dad even if I lived locally & I'd have to live the guilt that not only have I ended our marriage but also left my wife with an untenable burden.
    5. I know I have to do this but it is so hard to hurt the one person in my life I have absolute love for & faith in- my wife. I have no family I am close to & no really close friends to lean on. My wife has been / is everything to me. I just feel sick that I cannot be the man who married her & planned our lives together for ever after....

Maybe I have to just suck it up & stop wanting something that can never happen...

17. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    MLA This is so very tough. What a burden you have. I can see why your wife just doesn't want to hear what you have been trying to tell her. It seems like there is no simple solution for you. How old are the other children? Is there some chance that you and your wife could share the apartment on alternating days/nights? Maybe this would give her an opportunity to have some of her own time also?

I hope I don't appear to be over-simplifying the situation.

18. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    MLArmageddon,

I agree with Nickw that you are in a tough situation (*hug*) You are gay and want to end the marriage so you can be in a gay relationship; however, creating a plan for the care of your daughter is the biggest stumbling block and source of conflict for you. You feel additional conflict because you don't want to hurt your wife and you feel guilty that you cannot be the man who your wife thought she married.

I agree with Nickw in that you need to get creative and look for win-win solutions that are outside the box. Maybe you need to legally separate (or you could stay married and open the marriage) but still live together with separate bedrooms so that you can share responsibility for the care of your daughter. Having an apartment would be a nice to have if you can swing it financially. This arrangement would allow both of you to date other people while continuing to provide the support your daughter needs without your having to live inauthentically. You'll probably want to vet the idea with an attorney. There may be other approaches as well but this should give you the gist of how to think outside the box.

Equally important is that you'll have to give yourself permission to go after and fight for what you want, namely a gay relationship. Transform the consuming energy of your need to be with a man into action. Based on your previous conversations with your wife, she'll try to disarm you with guilt-laden questions. You'll need to be firm and say that you are gay and want a gay relationship, even if this causes pain in your wife. You'll need to tell her that you are no longer attracted to her sexually. You'll need to tell her of your burning desire to be with a man. You'll need to challenge and push her to consider novel care arrangements for your daughter, even if that means opening the marriage. You'll need to fight for your right to find a man you can love more completely than you can love your wife.

It won't be easy, but you can do it!

#18 SiennaFire, Mar 20, 2016
  19. amomwhoknows

Gently, given your daughter's disabilities, it is unlikely your wife will have much time for dating, etc, unless you equally share the burden (at least in the evening) and then if you do that, it will be difficult for you. I have a friend whose Daughter is a bit more functional than yours and she is finding dating nearly impossible. And finding a real relationship, forget about it. I am not trying to paint a grim picture, but rather a realistic one. And if your other children are younger than your D, I would be worried about creating a bigger burden on them by leaving.

I like the idea of sharing an apartment perhaps, but wonder if the evenings can really be managed by 1 parent (again not knowing the ages of your other kids). You are in a very difficult position and I can totally understand your wife's perspective.

Is the current long term plan (if you have gotten this far) for your daughter to remain in home until her parent(s) are too old to care for her? When you and/or your wife die, is the expectation that her siblings will care for her or is there another plan? (In the US, many families start planning when their disabled kids are teens because of some planning required by the schools. Not sure what is the case in England.)

With all due respect, I imagine that the family has tried and tried to have outside caregivers. Children with profound disabilities can't just be cared for by anybody and unilke an unhappy toddler, when parents leave, older disabled children can be extremely difficult to handle when they become agitated.

That said, are there respite services that your family might qualify for?

#19 amomwhoknows, Mar 20, 2016