1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living one way at home but another way every where else

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by latenlife lez, Mar 17, 2016.

1. latenlife lez

So I gather that most of us- who are older- found this site for a variety of reasons.

I am living as a Lesbian in my home- yet when I step into the world- I am a married straight person- as far as most people realize

I am not out to correct anyone-- there are reasons why I am still in the closet- and yet I am tired of living in this space.

Does anyone else struggle with wanting to be who you are- no matter where you - yet you know it is not safe at the time. Anyone just say what the hell- and you stepped out of the closet?

I am not one to spread lots of information about myself- I like to keep some things to myself. I find myself being beyond picky what I put out there- however to not have the freedom to say I am or not- is frustrating.

Just wondering

2. yeehaw

This drives me insane, actually. I'm out at home and with my closest friends, but not to more casual friends and not at work. It's not actually clear to me whether it not it is safe for me to be out at work; but certainly it doesn't feel safe. So I'm not. I think the not-out-at-work thing is contributing to my unwillingness to date. I don't want to put my face on a dating site out of fear of who will see it, and I don't want to be the person on a dating site not willing to post my face because I'm still half in the closet. And the not willing to date thing feels terrible. I WANT to try dating women. I've never done it, but I WANT to, I want it by far more than I have ever wanted to date men. But I'm not.

Also, the part about feeling like I have to be on guard at work in more casual moments with people I like so I don't reveal to much is draining and leaves me feeling empty. I feel kind of a combination of being invisible, and too hideous to be seen. Certainly there's some shame lurking around in there.

So yeah, I think I get, at least on some level, what you are talking about.

#2 yeehaw, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  3. SHIELDAgentAlex

I'm the opposite; straight at home, hella flaming gayer-than-Neil-Patrick-Harris everywhere else, and it makes me crazy to not be able to be myself in either place, because I'm too busy being one of these masks.

4. Kiran

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mostly straight (tho openly pro-lgbt) and a girl at home and bisexual or bisexual ftm to others. Living my own life and pretending to be somebody else elsewhere is too tiring. I need to finally come out. :grin:

5. latenlife lez

thank you all for posting- I posted this thread- and then life got in the way and I was not able to come back until this moment.

I am tired all the time- and I did not even think about the physical factor- of keeping things to me.

Yes to yeehaw-I imagine there is a shame factor present- I am just now these days trying to deal with the shame I feel- and have felt most of my life over a great many things-

Again thank you all for your feedback and sharing the journey