1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where the *!? is my inner voice, and what is it telling me?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Mar 24, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello.

Does anyone ever feel this way? I feel like there should be something, some internal voice that points me in the right direction, some sort of instinct. But instead I feel like I have overlapping voices in my head, telling me different things, pointing me down different paths.

Maybe I'm letting myself get overwhelmed again, thinking too much about bigger decisions, about my marriage. But I just have this muddled feeling right now, this nagging sense of doubt and indecision.

I don't know why everything feels so complicated right now. The simple clear truth is I want to be with a woman. It's like I just keep going back to that same basic feeling and desire. I wish my life were simple enough that I could simply follow that feeling. And honestly, I probably will, even though there are many things that I should be doing first.

My feelings tell me that this is what I want first, and this is what feels instinctively right at this moment, right now. I'm so much less afraid, I don't know what I would feel if I were with a woman right now, maybe I would be nervous, I don't know. But the apprehension and all the walls that I've built up seem to be dissolving around me.

I don't want to have to think about what that means in terms of all of the bigger decisions, I just want this clear simple feeling to be fulfilled. But how can I do that in good conscience? But then I think, how can I continue to ignore my feelings, my instincts? I don't have an instinct, a gut feeling, a sense of clarity about my marriage, I just have clarity in this. I don't believe that anything I experience will change this need, unless it only becomes stronger.

I don't know how to go forward at this point.

2. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been my experience that you will be flooded with emotions during the questioning period. I'm pretty good at ignoring my feelings. So for the most part I had an out-of-body-type experience when doing scary things, such as meeting up with guys. You overcome this emotional overload by working your plan and gaining the experiences that will help you to clarify your feelings and next step.

I thought your plan was to attend an LGBT meetup and possibly flirt with other women. I would stick with the plan despite your feelings. Otherwise you'll be going around in circles on EC trying to analyze everything to death when action would be far more effective in clarifying your feelings.

#2 SiennaFire, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right, I need to stop going around and around various questions in my head. I have done 2 meetups now and have another one planned on Monday. I'm also meeting a woman, just the two of us, tomorrow. (...my stomach just did a small flip when I wrote that).

I'm good at detaching myself from things... but I think part of me growing has been trying to be more in the moment, and feel what's in the moment. Maybe I should however work on ignoring my feelings when I'm thinking and thinking and rethinking things.

I think what sparked this feeling, this urge to over-analyse and look again at the bigger questions was this sort of imagery I've been getting lately. It's just these little flashes that keep popping in my head. I keep picturing myself, with a woman, doing mundane things, just I don't know, like a real couple, shopping for groceries, talking about work at the end of the day, walking home together, there's some sort of underlying feeling of warmth when these things pop into my head. And I guess it's made me wonder, is that my instinct telling me that I want to start a life with someone else? That I want to at least have the freedom to start a life with a woman?

I don't know what it means, but I guess it's taken me back to the bigger questions, which then makes everything just feel overwhelming, and muddled.

I need to find a way to quiet my brain. It's not helping me gain any clarity to be caught in this loop.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly my sentiment as SiennaFire and to use a tag line from a famous foot brand:

"Just do It!"

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right, I tend to get a bit stuck in my own head. I can do this, I think. I just have to come up with a way to stop thinking (obsessing?) so much.

6. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing the specifics. This is actually really good. This is your mind telling you that you are on the right path by flirting with women :slight_smile: Now go out and do it :icon_bigg

#6 SiennaFire, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is really encouraging to hear. Maybe I'm starting to do something right... :slight_smile: I do feel like some of the new things that I'm doing to open up are feeling like they make sense. Little by little.

8. afgirl

I think you're brave for pursuing it. I never could have done that, at least not consciously. The closest I came was telling my now gf that she should call me sometime if she was bored and wanted to get out and do something. I actually had no idea I was flirting at this point, but I'm thankful she did call me up and ask me to go out for drinks one random Saturday night. I hate to admit it, but I think if I had really realized what was happening I would have run the other way. Kudos to you for facing it head on.

9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Allo Ms. Jedi,

I always recommend meditation to people who want to hear their Inner Voice more clearly.

There is often so much going on inside our heads that we need to make sure to silence everything that's coming from our Mind, and listen closely to what remains. Meditation is a way to gain that inner stillness and silence. Best way I know.

10. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks :slight_smile:. Sounds to me like you were brave as well, you say you would have run the other way, but you found a way to follow your heart. I'm still trying to figure out a lot, hoping I really can be brave. Fingers crossed :slight_smile:.

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2016 at 03:03 PM ----------

This is something I've been trying every so often and I think I need to make a regular practice of it.

I am started to gain a lot more clarity, as you saw in one of my other posts, I'm feeling more sure about where I want to go with my marriage. But I'm going to need a way to keep my brain calm.

11. afgirl

Thanks :slight_smile:. Sounds to me like you were brave as well, you say you would have run the other way, but you found a way to follow your heart. I'm still trying to figure out a lot, hoping I really can be brave. Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

It's crazy, really. And no, I really wasn't. When I said that I really meant it in a friendship kind of way. Yes, I knew she was gay, I just didn't know I was, too. By the time I had come to terms with the fact that I had a girl crush, well, that's when she texted me about getting together. Anyway, we went to a few bars, along with another guy from work we ran into, and we were just having a really good time and then I looked up and realized she was about to kiss me. Instead of freaking out, I remember, "OMG this is really going to happen." going through my head, and I just let it happen. We've pretty much been together every since then.

12. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know, I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. We all have our own paths. You got to your authentic path, you had to break through your fear to get there. I look at my story compared to others and I don't feel so brave. I think we shouldn't sell ourselves so short.

13. Grace66

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Cycling, overanalyzing, rethinking, worrying, wanting to turn around and run the other way...oh yeah. I'm weeks away from my divorce being final and it's getting really real. Really scary now. I made my decision. It wasn't fun, but it was right. I just keep telling myself that.

14. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep reminding yourself you're doing the right thing, and it's really brave. I admire you. It's not easy to make these changes. Big hugs.(&&&)