1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I've made a decision without realising I've made a decision

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Mar 24, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I've sort of switched my understanding of what I want in my life, without even realising that I was doing so.

I can't, won't stay in a monogamous straight relationship. I still don't know if I can ultimately stay in this marriage even if we open it up...that's for a later time to decide. But I know I need to have a space in my life for connection with a woman.

It just sort of seems obvious, like I've been thinking this for a while, but I have only now just really realised it.

I'm going to meet women, I'm going to be honest, but I'm going to be open to letting things develop. And I have to sit down with my husband at some point. I don't think it's the right time just now. I want to just build my sense of community, meet women, build my sense of this understanding of my needs through experiences with new people I meet.

And I think I just can't settle for always living like I'm straight. Maybe my husband won't be able to accept that. But I don't think I can accept things remaining the way they are.

#1 baristajedi, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. ssxElise

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi.
    I relate to so many of your posts.

I´m only out to my sister. Married to a man and struggling in that relationship. I want to tell my husband, but I´m just scared. I would have done it already if it wasn´t for our kids.
    I want to tell him the truth to stop living this lie. I´m just not ready to split up the family.

I with you, I need this to come out eventually, and I know that I want to have relationship with a woman. I really want that relationship..

I think you made a good decision. You should live your life how you want it. And realizing this is a big step. :slight_smile:

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks :slight_smile:. I'm sorry you are struggling. I understand your pain, and I understand all the reasons for your hesitation. (*hug*)

I don't even know exactly what switched in my perspective, I just sort of had this feeling as I was thinking about things today, that I really do know what I want.

I just want to be *me*. And I can't be me if I continue to live a straight life. I don't know fully who "me" is yet, I'm going to keep learning, but I know I'm not satisfied with a straight life.

#3 baristajedi, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  4. ssxElise

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I totally understand the feeling of wanting to be yourself. And I am too not satisfied with a straight life.

I love your posts. (*hug*) It´s like I´m reading about my thoughts and struggles.

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

You'll find your way to be you, whatever that may be, in your own time. Obviously I haven't found my way yet, but I'm starting to see that things are getting a little clearer each day.

6. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By taking action you are gaining clarity, strength, and power.

7. afgirl

I have read some of your posts, but I guess I'm still deeply confused. You want to stay married to a man, but you are looking for something with a woman as well?

8. WanderingMind

Hello Barista Jedi. I am so happy for you that you've come to a place of an epiphany. It's good that you know what you *can't* accept... I hope this new understanding helps you move forward and determine what life *can* become.

When you say "Maybe my husband won't be able to accept that" --- how sure are you of his lack of acceptance? Have you tried opening up conversation about non-monogamy/polyamory? Hypothetically, even? You can't truly know how he'll react without a conversation...

This *is* a legitimate and possible path, afgirl, albeit complex.

9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :slight_smile: I feel sort of relaxed and calm for the first time in a while. And I almost feel like "everything will work out in time".

I opened up discussions with my husband last night. No big declarations, I just said I'm becoming clearer on what I need, I talked it through a bit, I told him I was confident we could be strong for our daughter through anything, whether open marriage or divorce. And I tried to give him the chance to talk through his feelings.

This was the first time I was able to talk confidently and clearly with him about what I feel and want. He was surprisingly open to simply listening and talking rather than refuting everything but i wonder how this will play out as more time passes.

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2016 at 10:26 PM ----------

At this point I'm considering open marriage or separation. The alternative is to just deny my feelings completely, because st this time it's important for my growth to have the opportunity to build a real connection with a woman.

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2016 at 10:31 PM ----------

Thanks :slight_smile:. This is exactly it, I've realised what I *can't* accept, now it's on to think about what I do want and need.

About open marriage, it's not something my husband wants but he has said he would consider it. We talked a bit yesterday about how the rules are completely up to us. And if we do it, we decide how it works. I think in theory he gets it but emotionally I'm not sure he can handle it. And I totally understand that.

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love that you've gained clarity! *hugs*

But regarding an open marriage...there are *many* ways to implement polyamory. I definitely recommend reading on the topic (I particularly recommend "Opening Up" by Tristan Taormino, and considering carefully what relationship style would work for both of you!

I'd be happy to talk with you more if it would help! (Unfortunately, I don't have time to say more right now.)

11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks BiAnnika, I will definitely check that out and I may be PMing you soon :slight_smile:.

12. afgirl

I've actually made a lot of decision that way. Never in exactly the way I originally anticipated, but it's good to get a direction going. I just think the minute you meet someone and get that connection, you may abandon the whole open marriage idea. Just a thought.

13. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I know... I don't know how sustainable that is. I'm still trying to let these ideas sink in a bit. I think I will talk about the open marriage idea with my husband and research it with him for a while and let us both kind of feel out how it fits our needs.

14. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Congrats on making it to this point. These are all tough decisions to make. You should be proud of yourself for following your heart and being honest with yourself. Tough road ahead, my friend, but worth it (I think).

15. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Mellie :slight_smile:. How are you doing/dealing with everything? I haven't seen you in a while, good to see you on here. :slight_smile: