1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buidling a life as a gay dad

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SiennaFire, Mar 26, 2016.

1. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I've engaged more with the LGBT community and started to build a gay life, I'm finding that my life is becoming bifurcated again, though not nearly as compartmentalized as when I was in the closet. I'm fine with this actually, since I'm no longer hiding anything. I see these as separate (but interrelated) components of my life, such as career and family.

Role #1 - Gay dad living in a heteronormative world

Now that I'm out I'm beginning to appreciate how heteronormative our society really is. I'm not passing judgement on this, just noting that as a gay dad I see that society is geared towards raising straight kids. For example, I saw a student holding hands with his girlfriend at a recent sporting event. He seemed a little awkward, as if he were still learning the ropes of how to behave. I wondered if I will ever see two BFs doing this. I don't live in a homophobic area, it's more of a numbers game (# kids in school * percentage gay * percentage have BF * percentage inclined to go to a sporting event :slight_smile: ). As I thought about it more I wished that I had had a proper adolescence - either gay or straight. This wasn't a really strong feeling, just my reaction to the observation, which I quickly let go.

I emphasize my dad persona at these events, that is, I'm masculine and straight acting with the occasional splash of campy behavior. Some parents know I'm gay, some don't. I see this as appropriate behavior for the situation, namely, that I'm a dad who happens to be gay.

Role #2 - Gay dad engaging with the LGBT community

I emphasize my gay persona though I'm transparent about being a dad and newly out when appropriate. When I'm around gay people, I act gay and even give some expression to my effeminate side. I feel that I'm with my people, and I can be gay. In many ways this is part of my second adolescence insofar as I'm learning how to behave as a gay man.

I anticipate that these roles may converge somewhat over time, though I do see them as separate but interrelated parts of me.

Posting this to share my experience to see if it resonates with old timers and as a heads up to the new folks here on EC. Not really looking for advice per se, looking more to stimulate discussion.

#1 SiennaFire, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obviously I'm not an old timer, but I appreciate seeing your thoughts on this as a queer mom. I often wonder what my life would look like if I were a single queer mom or a mom in a lesbian relationship, at some point in the not too distant future.

I do have a couple of questions - do these different personas make you feel uncomfortable in any way, like you're not being yourself fully in either case, or do you feel like each is just a natural extension of you, with emphasis on the parts of your personality that relate to others around you? (Can't think of a less wordy way to ask that)

Do you feel like one of those personas is more close to your true self?

I too wish I'd had a proper adolescence. Being a general misfit, always the new girl, and a teen confused about her sexuality made for late blooming in many areas.

I'm not sure if this is just anecdotal and not indicative of real change but I am quite proud of the teens I personally know who are openly gay or bi, and I know at least a handful. I keep wanting to say "go you!" It's refreshing. But for the most part the heteronormative messages are still very strong.

#2 baristajedi, Mar 26, 2016
  3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The latter. When I was in the closet I bifurcated (and walled off) my personality into my straight self and gay self. Now I have one authentic self that gets expressed differently based on the context. I don't see this any differently than acting one way at work and another way at home. Over time I hope I can show my straight friends more of my authentic gay side, although this is more of a nice-to-have second order goal.

I have one authentic self that gets expressed differently based on the context.

Luckily you can have a second adolescence too if you want one :slight_smile:

In the US I feel there is real change in terms of LGBT acceptance. I don't personally know an openly LGBT teen. I don't expect heteronormative messages to diminish any time soon, so hopefully LGBT teens can adapt and leverage the heteronormative norms to be more inclusive of LGBT values (e.g., it's OK to take your BF to prom).

#3 SiennaFire, Mar 26, 2016
  4. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My kids seem to find the idea of having a gay dad pretty cool. They have told me how on several occasions in school that it would just come up casually in a convo with their friends. To me, I think that serves as proof that I am doing something right in the fact that I have 3 very open, strong willed young women in my life. I don't have any real insight as to how it makes me any different or anything. Everything is pretty much the same as it has always been.

#4 angeluscrzy, Mar 26, 2016
  5. TravelerMe

This is a great post. I've been projecting what life will be like when out; envisioning day to day life. Dating, having a guy meet my kids or siblings, going on a date. Helps me to look forward and project the great things and pitfalls that lie ahead.

I'm getting a sense of the bifurcation you mention. As I evolve into my own skin finally it's expressing myself differently as a gay man all the time versus hiding and totally pretending to be someone I'm not; going back and forth between identifying as gay or straight.

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2016 at 02:55 PM ----------

Wow that's awesome. Hoping for the same with my kids; glad to here it!

6. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    People seem to be getting more accepting on an average. There's a cartoon I watch called Steven Universe where most relationships are lesbian ones despite the show being for kids. Wonder if there would be one with manly guy-guy relationships but again I like the progress.

I see what you mean about balancing masculine/effeminate behavior. I too am more campy around women/effeminate men than I would be around masculine guys. Depends on my company but I still maintain being compassionate either way.

7. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad the post was helpful for you.

When I was still in the closet the bifurcation was more severe than today. I had the straight persona and the secret gay compartment that was protected with armor. I was hiding this part of me, which had all kinds of ripple effects, such as focusing on material things instead of sharing the real me (and I don't mean just my sexuality). Now I have one authentic self that gets expressed differently based on the context. I don't see this any differently than acting one way at work and another way at home.

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2016 at 11:12 AM ----------

Thanks for sharing! I'm still waiting for my gay dad of the year T-shirt, though everything is pretty much the same as it has always been (typical rebellious behavior).

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2016 at 11:20 AM ----------

Thanks for sharing and welcome to EC!

#7 SiennaFire, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SiennaFire, based on my experience, as time goes on, and your confidence continues to build, I believe you will see such heteronormative differences fade away and blend into the background. Whether observing heteronormative activities or participating in homosexually oriented experiences (whatever they may be), each becomes the norm in or around your life.

Your identifying the stark differences today as you become more comfortable with yourself and your place in such a bifurcated society; which I believe creates a positive foundation as you continue to develop.

In terms of a gay persona, in a similar manor, my experience suggests that you will evolve to be whom you are, regardless of whom your with or what your doing. I had very similar experiences where I felt my persona was fluctuating based on where I was and what I was doing. However, at this point, I simply am whom I am and act consistently regardless of the circumstances. Part of my heteronormative persona has blended in with my gay persona, but my persona today is based on my life experiences so it's ok for that to have happened. At the same time, I am no longer consciously thinking about how I am acting, and just being myself at this point.

If I am with straight friends, and a bit of gayness is reflected, then so be it; if I am with gay friends and they see me being straight, that's ok too. In fact, I am not sure I can even differentiate the difference between the two at this point.

9. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks OnTheHighway for your insights. You've confirmed how I expect things will evolve over time.

Based on the form of my presentation, which calls out and distinguishes the differences between the dad and gay personas, I could be misleading the reader about the context switch between them. The context shift between these two roles is more fluid and natural than the form of the presentation might suggest, that is, it's not as dramatic as switching between gay and straight modes while in the closet where one had to hide the gay side. I now have one authentic self that gets expressed differently based on the context, and I certainly expect this to continue to evolve further over time.

#9 SiennaFire, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  10. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm feeling like I'm on a second coming out high. I'm somewhere around the tipping point between heteronormative and homonormative. I feel it, and I trust my feelings at this point. I feel like I'm about to make a another leap of acceptance through surrender and capitulation, and I know I need to let go of my expectations and attempts to control the situation to get there.

Do others relate?

11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds like a really positive step, that's wonderful. :slight_smile:

I'm way behind you in my process, so I'm not sure I can understand exactly what this stage is like. Can you say more? In what way do you feel like you're making another leap of acceptance? When you say you you're near the tipping point between heteronormativity and homonormativity does that mean you feel greater comfort in being gay, less tied to the expectations of straight culture? And how so?

12. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I engage more and more with the LGBT community (via support groups, meetups, etc.), I've reached a point where my personal social calendar is predominantly LGBT-related. I'm beginning to feel that I'm living as a gay man. This is what I mean by the tipping point.

I had the following stream of consciousness insight last night after I posted (in vino veritas :slight_smile:)

i've always been here, though you ignored me and didn't fully embrace me till now

it wasn't your fault - they taught you to hide me when you touched that boy in elementary school

you've come home to greet me long lost friend

you don't have to pretend anymore ​
    It all came together this morning in bed :bulb: I've always hidden my true self from the world (sexually as well as other aspects of my personality). This is a learned behavior, and now that I'm out I certainly no longer need to hide. Unfortunately, even with the shame mostly purged, the behavior pattern remains and holds me back from meaningful interactions. I need to consciously allow myself to open up and be more emotional and vulnerable with others if I'm to unlearn this behavior pattern.

#12 SiennaFire, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  13. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey SiennaFire

Can you elaborate on Homonormal? Is this an internal force or do you feel there is an external element to it also. i.e. Do you feel there are defined ways a gay man should act to gain acceptance in the gay community?

14. Forhim

SiennaFire, Thanks for posting this. This as been one of my biggest fears is being a dad to my two sons, even though they are in their late and mid teens. I questioned how it may affect our relationship once I move on with my life and live as a gay man. This is hands down great information and gave me some great insight. Thanks again.

15. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah yes, in vino veritas, so much good insight starts this way :slight_smile:. This is beautiful, a very vulnerable and real insight.

And I relate so much to these truths. I hope to get to this level of self honesty and expression at some point.

16. TravelerMe

This is such a powerful and meaningful thread. I've felt inklings of the first coming out high; I can't imagine it in full let alone another after making a leap as you say. SiennaFire you're able to put into words things that are so innate and transcendent.

This makes me want to explore and embrace the little boy and young man of my past that hid in the closet; relive the longing, the crushes and hidden desires and accept and experience them as normal and beautiful all over again.

So have another glass of wine tonight and start writing!:icon_bigg

#16 TravelerMe, Apr 2, 2016
  17. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The common definition of homonormativity is the assimilation of heteronormative ideals and constructs into LGBTQ culture and individual identity. My intent here is to contrast it with heteronormativity, which has been my faux self for decades. I see this as an affirmation that I'm both a dad and a gay man. I realize that the idea of homonormativity is controversial to some in the LGBT community, and I don't want to take this thread off topic since it's benefiting many people who find themselves in mixed-orientation marriages with kids.
    Thanks. I'm glad that this has helped you see the path ahead of you.
    Thanks. I've shared with you the same tools that I use, so I'm confident that you'll get to this level of self honesty and expression.

Thanks. Perhaps you can write about and share your explorations? I'm going to gay prom tonight :slight_smile:

#17 SiennaFire, Apr 2, 2016
  18. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks SiennaFire, this is an interesting post and points. I see myself as a guy, who happens to like other guys, but also as a dad of two children. I am trying hard not to let being gay define me as a person, rather I am my own person who just happens to be gay.

I have struggled in recent months, not just with the breakup of my relationship, but with experiences I've had with some other gay guys. At an event I was at with my, now ex, bf, there were a number of openly gay guys there (it was a straight wedding). They were keen to talk to me and explore my history. I felt like a bit of an exhibit, and when the conversation turned to my gay 'provenance' I felt my hackles rise. Essentially a couple of the more flamboyant guys wanted to know whether I liked Barbra Streisand, and other female singers associated as gay icons, and posed a raft of questions to me on learning that I had been married and also had children. Their gasps of incredulity left me feeling pretty inadequate and I felt that I wasn't a 'true' gay by the standards that clearly they and others assessed someone against.

I found myself listening to my bf and an associate describe some of the straight couples as 'breeders' which made me feel disappointed in both of them for perpetuating the stereotyping and also made me feel let down that two people who I shared a common sense of belonging to a community, actually encouraged the labelling that they themselves would have been quick to criticise had it been the other way around.

For me, I am trying not to give in to the pressure I see and feel around me to behave in a certain way now that I am out. My ex bf was 'straight acting' for want of a better description when he was with me alone or his male friends, but put him in the company of his female friends and he became a gossipy, camp, hand-flapping, tactile, humorous, 16 stone gay boy. This was usually when I became more sidelined and ignored as he immersed himself in the spotlight. I found this quite difficult at times as I behaved in the same way regardless of who I was with and I struggled to understand the need to alter behaviour to such a degree.

19. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Highlander2,
    I have a similar view that I am a dad who happens to be gay. There's some ambiguity in the bolded text. Here's my take. I'm open to letting being gay (my attraction to other men) define me as a person because it reflects something very fundamental about who I am as a person. I am less open to letting gay culture define me as a person. I do not fully embrace all aspects of the gay culture. My personal philosophy is that I want to continue to live the heteronormative lifestyle (quiet life in the suburbs raising children and pursuing a career) but as a gay man. I've been using the term homonormative to capture this idea.

Most of my interactions with gay men (as friends, hookups, and relationships) have been with guys who were married to women at some point in their life. While I've heard about gays who look down on previously heterosexually married men, I haven't encountered them in real life. Most of the gay men who were not married to women appear to be accepting of my path. If I were to encounter them, I would not allow them to discount my experience any more than I would allow a homophobe to make an unchallenged homophobic remark.

My take is these gay men you've encountered are a page from The Velvet Rage. They have not resolved their shame, and this is being manifested by their invalidating your life experience and their apparent heterophobia. Personally I wouldn't let this bother me. I know who I am, and I know what I've gone through to get here. I have to ask you, though, do you continue to feel some shame or other emotion that allows their unkind remarks to bother you so much?

#19 SiennaFire, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  20. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How was gay prom???:icon_bigg