1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small steps...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by dirtyshirt84, Mar 28, 2016.

1. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I was out the other night with my (straight) friends and when some LGBT issues came up in conversation I made a point of sticking up for gay rights in a way that I would never have done before. It probably seems quite insignificant to anyone reading this but it made me realise I have changed and my whole outlook in life has changed. It seemed like a positive step for me.

I also realise I would now also challenge anyone when it comes to gender stereotypes (especially relating to my child - the whole 'pink is for girls, blue is for boys' really annoys me). I have really started to see how heteronormative society is and feel like it should be challenged.

Anyone else relate?

2. killswitch0029

I can relate to what your saying. Even before realizing and coming to terms with being gay I had this same outlook. From a young age I've just personally believed that people should be allowed to do whatever makes them happy. If they aren't directly causing harm to others or themselves, let them live however the hell they want.

Gender stereotypes especially is something I'm pretty vocal about and have challenged people about the topic for quite sometime. While I never strayed from the stereotypes associated my gender (not out of fear, my interests and all that other stuff just so happen to align with the it) I really don't see any reason why boys can't play with dolls or girls can't play with trucks.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These are big steps! I think it shows a change in confidence and mindset, and it's great that you felt able to do it. :thumbsup:

I'm very much bothered by the heteronormativity I see around me, and this whole pink is for girls, blue is for boys really bugs me too. This matters a lot to me as a mom. My daughter loves Star Wars, Paw Patrol and rough play, she also loves Elsa and Peppa Pig and pretending to be a princess. Nobody else should have a right to challenge her interests. I totally understand the way you feel about this.

4. Missy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I also think the society is way too heteronormative! It´s good you stand up for gay rights! People have their right being who they are, not being forced into a heteronorm!

5. afgirl

I understand exactly what you're saying. I honestly give thought to things I did not before. I also live in the Bible belt and attended Baptist church here in the community. At this time, I'm just sort of stepped back. The ignorance just kills me. I mean, I'm basically the same person, just "enlightened". I honestly think it's a lot to do with environment, so it's hard to blame someone. I think I may have been that someone not so long ago. Not that I would say or do anything bad, but just by buying in to the ideas of what normal is and what's acceptable. I see now that it's all subjective.

6. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good job, a good positive step.

Yes, I've had similar conversations with family and co-workers, I can certainly relate. It gets easier with each successive conversation, too (or at least it has for me).

Every good step counts and is helpful.

7. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Way to go! That's a big step.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's one of the biggest and most significant steps on your personal journey actually. Once you have reached a point of standing up for "other people" who are part of the LGBT community, you are edging closer to standing up and being counted yourself.

Just as a matter of interest, did your friends say anything in response? Did they seem surprised by the strength of your feelings? I only ask, because to some people, it might appear that you were dropping hints to any friends in the group that don't know about your sexuality.

Anyway, well done! :slight_smile:

9. wanderinggirl

Hey yeah I definitely relate to how significant this is for you! When I was deeply closeted and in denial and ashamed, I didn't want anyone to think I was gay so I stayed far away from discussions about it; or if I did, I'd turn bright red. That was the extent of my internalized shame, that my biggest fear was that people would think I was gay.

It's a huge thing to realize you're no longer afraid of bringing these things up, or that your passion for sticking up for LGBT rights and non-cisheteronormative gender roles outweighs the fear. Keep doing what you're doing!

10. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for all the words of encouragement! Glad it seems like a positive step in the right direction.

That must be tough being bisexual and living in the Bible belt and attending the Baptist church. I think you are right though, for many people its just ignorance and a lack of understanding. They are taught what is 'right' and 'wrong' at an early age and if they don't personally know anyone who is gay then no one challenges their opinions and beliefs.

Thanks! Well its weird because one person in the group actually knows and the others probably suspect anyway. What they might be surprised about it me being more open about it. Although one friend said at the end of the night we should go to one of the gay clubs in our city sometime (we had passed it earlier in the night) and I was like 'sure' so I guess she did notice! (she is def not that way inclined btw! just trying to see what I would say or maybe encourage me I think!).

I felt exactly like this before, if anyone brought up being gay or any LGBT issues I would feel really embarrassed and uncomfortable and want to change the subject. I was always scared someone would ask me directly and I have to lie or tell a truth I wasn't quite comfortable with.

#10 dirtyshirt84, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016