1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A toe out the door

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by demidiluvian, Mar 31, 2016.

1. demidiluvian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Holy crap, I came out to a friend! I had to do it via email because I was so incredibly nervous. Keeping this from her has been weighing on me for a while, but today keeping silent became harder than saying (fine, typing) it. It was a "go check your email" thing, though, so there wasn't much suspense. We chatted via IM after, and it's cool. !!! She's one of the people I have been reasonably sure would be great about it (lesbian), so there was some safety. We have an in-person talk coming soon, which will really be the first time I will have really talked to a gay person as a gay person (other than my therapist). I expect it will be weird and good. One less person that I'm lying to.

2. killswitch0029

That's great news! Glad it went well for you :slight_smile:

3. cakepiecookie

Good for you!!!

4. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! That's wonderful!!!

5. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay! Great job!

6. demidiluvian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A looooong talk with this friend tonight. A thing I recently began to hope for turned out to be true - being able to be gay when talking to another gay person is very good. I didn't really have to hold back, and seeing that she could relate to my story (and I to hers) felt very good. It helped push back some of the stress of the week's discomfort.

7. brians34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is great having someone like that you can be completely out to. Helps take out much of the pressure. Good for you.

8. demidiluvian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    She has been really great. Also, her wife baked me cookies (just snacking on them and realized I wanted to say that on this thread). The sentiment is from a) the fact that they're sweet people, and b) the Ellen sitcom. The line in the show is something like, "You have to admit, it's not exactly an accepted thing. You never see a cake that says, 'Good for you, you're gay!'" So I got "Good for you, you're gay!" cookies. I can't tell you how fantastic that makes me feel. I was only hoping for someone who wouldn't reject me & instead I got earnest care and concern along with unconditional acceptance. I know other outings won't be so warm, but I'm so grateful that I'll always have this moment in my heart when things get tough.

9. TravelerMe

That's so awesome. I have a close gay friend visiting in a few weeks. He kind of knows but I really want to tell him outright for once. Not sure he bakes though. :lol:

Very happy for you.