1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby steps

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Justasking100, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It's been a tormented week but I've made it thru. A whole gambit of emotions come with accepting your sexuality after so long. I am well aware that my behaviour over the years has not been great. I've been selfish and not been fair to girlfriends and my family. Shut off emotionally and only caring about myself and me only. I think that that will take a long time to get over as will the constant battling in my head.

I met three older gay gents last night and had a good long chat about my situation. All three had come to terms with there sexuality late in life - late thirties and into their forties. They had a lot of good advice having come out of straight relationships and have children. They were absolute gentlemen and it felt good to unload to them.

I'm going to another meet up at the weekend to break in to the lgbt community a little more.

#babysteps

2. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, sounds like you're doing a really fantastic at getting some face to face support and community. Great job!

3. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    To be honest I don't really have a choice. It's sink or swim really. I'm at a very low point not knowing what the future holds and not knowing how I'll cope. Back and forth with the 'am I really gay' thing. Confused, anxious, scared but I don't really have a choice but to face it head on. It's not going to go away so I have to try things out.
    I still can't quite believe it's true and am in my own little dream world at the moment but I know there is and has been an attraction to men at some point, as much as I don't want it to be true it is, however uncomfortable that makes me, having lived an entirely straight life for so long and been in total denial of the issue since a teenager.
    Not that it was in my conscious until my twenties, I just assumed I was straight like everyone else around me.
    Finding out I was different was very hard and depressing and sent me into depression almost immediately my only way to deal with it was to totally ignore it and suppress it and that's now come back and bitten me on the arse

4. brians34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in a small area where there are no gay clubs, no gay friends, no gay anything that I'm aware of. I have 5 years left in my job to when I can retire with full benefits, so can't just up and move.

I wish that I could meet three older gay gents to chat with, might make things a little easier.

If I ever do separate with my wife, I have no idea how/where I'd look for someone.

5. MOGUY

I too wish for the company of gay men my age to talk to.

6. Spurs1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Feel for you Baby steps - you will come through it. I feel in a very similar position and married with kids and do not know where to turn or what to do - it's the discovery and the question of what did I miss earlier in life why did I not know or sense I was different