1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 2nd Dreaded Conversation Happened

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MayButterfly, Apr 2, 2016.

1. MayButterfly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well I did it, I had the 2nd conversation I dreaded. I told my children their father and I will be separating and eventually divorcing. I did not tell them it was because I love a woman... That is not the main reason so I am not ready to go there yet.

I tried to be gentle and kind, and reassured them I am still going to be involved in their lives and it isn't their fault, and the only thing that will change next month is I won't live here with them. There were tears all around and my daughter shrugged my hand off her, which hurt me a lot. My son already seems to be a bit better.

I'm relieved that it is finally over but numb too. As a mom, it is hard seeing your kids hurting, and there is guilt when you cause that pain.

But at least it's over and now it is one less stress I have.

2. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh. All I can say is "this, too, shall pass." Your kids are shocked and going through thier own stages of grief. Just be the loving mom you've always been and they will process this on their own time. Sending big hugs your way.

3. brians34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    May, I feel for you. I haven't read any of your other posts so I don't know your complete situation, how old your children are or how you and your husband is handling all this.

Things will be easier for your children if you and your husband are at all able to remain friends through all this. If your children see you two can divorce and remain friends, they will see this isn't a loss but a moving forward.

At some point, your children will hopefully understand that this isn't a choice you made, but who you are.