1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married and Closeted

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Bazinga87, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone. I'm currently coming to terms with what I have been fighting since I was young. I have been lying to myself and everyone in my life for so long and I don't know where to start.

I'm coming up to my 5 year anniversary with my wife who was my highschool sweetheart and I can't take it anymore.

I've been reading a lot of stories on here today that I can relate to but I haven't found any that tell me how to find the courage to go through with this. If I do this I will crush my wife and ruin everything we have built so far. I do love her but I'm tired of feeling like I do.

Does anyone have a similar story to this that can help me figure out what I should do. I know it needs done but I don't know if I have the strength to face it and start my life over and make her do the same.

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Bazinga, welcome to EC. Big big hugs. (*hug*)

We're all fumbling through this. I'm still trying to figure out how to move forward, not sure yet what to do about my marriage. There are some people on here who've made it through to the other side who might have better insight. But from me at least, I just wanted to say, you're not alone.(&&&)

3. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

Most of us here have been right where you are at one time or another. I lived as a closeted gay man for my entire life until 2 years ago, when the folks on this site helped me find the courage to face my fears. I was married twice, and am currently separated from my wife of almost 30 years, with our divorce being finalized in the next couple of months.

I too love my wife--I always have. She remains the best thing that's happened in my life. But eventually, and far later than you, I also realized that I couldn't take it anymore. I had few friends, because there was no one I could actually be "myself" with.

I've known I was gay since I was 12, and suppressed/repressed my feelings for 57 years. I can tell you that it doesn't get any easier with time. But what I know now is that, even though my wife and I are trying this late in life to make new lives for ourselves, coming out of the closet was the best thing I could have done for both of us. She knew something was terribly wrong in our relationship; as I grew more emotionally unavailable, she became more unhappy and depressed. Something had to change, and I couldn't wish or pray away my sexuality. At long last, I had to live an authentic life, with integrity. The feeling was so strong that I thought I might die if I didn't, at long last, come clean.

You sound a lot like me, but you have a 40-year lead on me.

This may not help much, but you're just 28, and I assume your wife is close to your age. You don't say whether you have children... But in any case, you're not starting your life over; you're just changing its direction. You'll carry all your life experience forward with you, and it will all contribute to the person you become. The same is true for your wife.

I went through a very rough first year, separating physically from my wife after the first 6 months. I didn't know whether she'd survive (literally), and I was fairly sure I would live the rest of my life alone. But now, at the end of my second year as an out gay man on the verge of divorce, my wife and I are still in each other's lives, best friends again in a more open and honest way, and my 60-year-old boyfriend just moved in with me.

Have you considered getting some counseling to help you through the bad times? Do you have a potentially supportive network of friends and workmates to talk to? Does your wife? All important things to seek out. You don't say where you live, but some cities have support groups you might try out--DC has GAMMA, and Seattle has GFAS--that are specifically for gay and bisexual men in relationships with women.

In the end, though, you'll probably have to rip off the bandaid. I just kept telling my wife that I wanted to be there for her in whatever way she'd allow, and that it would be her decision. And we talked a lot about what kept me in the closet for so long...

If you'd like to chat more, you can post on my wall, or just chat in this thread. I wish you well. You've found a great community here!

4. danielo21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hi Bazinga, great username!

I am not in your particular situation but it is remarkable that you are questioning yourself and facing your truth. Disclosing yourself to your wife (if you do it) is not going to be easy, but an upside is that you guys are young. if you feel that starting over is hard, imagine doing it 10 or 20 years down the road, when you cant hide anymore because of the need of being who you are.

Good luck in your journey.

5. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you baristajedi for your support that helps.

StillAround thank you for sharing your story. It really helped me start to put this into perspective. We do not have any children which is probably a blessing because that would complicate things even further.

I know we will both bring these experiences with us when we move on but seeing how we have only ever been out on our own together its going to be starting from scratch I feel.

As far as counseling goes I did try a couple years ago to see a theapist that specializes in LGBT issues but I only gave it two sessions and I stopped. I was very uncomfortable and closed this part off in me again and put the mask back on until now.

I really don't have a support structure that I can talk with about this and that's why I searched and found this site. After I know at least I will have my family but they live two hours north of me so it will mostly be phone talks.

Im afraid of ripping the bandaid off but I'm also afraid of being unhappy for the rest of my life too. I don't know if I have the courage to be truthful.

---------- Post added 2nd Apr 2016 at 03:51 PM ----------

Thanks Danielo21 for you support as well. It's very true and StillAround really made me think of that as well. I just keep thinking why couldn't I have found myself and stopped lying to myself in my teens when things were so much simpler. Or at least before I tied the knot.

6. TravelerMe

Bazinga I'm going through what you are but a few years older and a few kids later. You can't blame yourself or regret the past. What's done is done; take care of the present.
    When I move on I'll cherish the years with my wife and look at them with fondness. Hopefully see this as an opportunity to find the authentic you while you are still young.

I have come out to a couple of close friends and it really helps be able to talk freely and openly; it's nice if you can find someone to talk with so you can be the real you for a while.

7. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    TravelerMe

It's hard to come to this point and not Blame myself but I hear what your saying. I want to find myself more than I ever have and be comfortable with what I've been hiding from at some point. Im scared though. I've never been an adult and on my own. I've never been this truthful to myself and everything I'm thinking and starting to accept is new. I've always imagined myself as fighting these feelings but I've come upon a time I don't want to anymore and can't. I want to take advantage of this life and not care what people think but I hate to think that's going to hurt someone I've been very close to for so long. That's the next big hurdle and I don't know how to get over it. At this point I guess I can't imagine what life is like after the bomb drops and it's scary

8. TravelerMe

Moreover my point is this is not your fault. Its not our wives' fault either; of course they don't deserve it but neither do we. I hate using the term "victim" as it mitigates our own responsibility but it is true we are products of society and culture which led us into the closet. Just take time with this; even though I new deep down my whole life I was gay I've only really accepted it and came out to myself very recently. A few months ago I began saying "I'm gay" to myself when alone in the car or wherever; quite exhilarating!
    You're entering a bit of a marathon not a 50yd dash.

I encourage you to explore threads in this Later in Life forum as their are many great stories and helpful posts here and people that can put things into perspective with much more ability than myself. This is a great place to find help, support and acceptance.

9. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You make good points. I'm just starting this journey and at I guess I'm overwhelmed withe guilt at the moment. I'll try to keep thinking it's not my fault I feel this way and hopefully find some comfort. Thanks for your perspective it really helps. Since I've joined I've been exploring all the various threads and I'm so glad I finally have a place to come to and start this process. I wish you luck with your journey as well. It's nice to finally know I don't have to be alone

10. TravelerMe

For me I've been able to recently distinguish a difference between guilt and shame. Feeling guilt isn't always a bad thing it means we have a conscience and feel to do good for others and we have to learn to turn it from guilt to a more positive giving of oneself without feeling bad when we can't live up to ultimate expectations or give enough. I imagine I will always feel some guilt with my wife and kids in the future. I've always been kind of a guilt catcher so its something I really have to work through.

I feel comfortable recently about being gay where I know longer feel shame for it. Shame lingers deep down I'm sure but I'm very happy mastering it to a great extent; coming out to a close friend has helped with that.

#10 TravelerMe, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  11. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I could imagine having someone close to talk to about it thats unbiased is probably a great relief. At this point I don't have anyone close enough that I could and that's why I joined ec. I'm hoping to gaim some knowledge of my situation from talking with people that have or are going through similar things. I've thought of trying to find a local support group that may help me as well but haven't found any yet. The shame of this all is probably what's kept me in for so long but over the last 24 hours I've even felt some relief because I feel I'm peeling back the layers and becoming more comfortable with calling myself gay and thinking of myself as a gay man

12. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Bazinga87

I read a couple of your posts on this thread and another in the general discussion forum. On the other forum you were questioning if you were bi or gay. You mentioned not wanting to be intimate with your wife unless you were drinking even when she initiated for several years. Is this because you are not attracted to her or to any woman?

I am bisexual. I love my wife and even after 30 years she still turns me on...easily. There has never been any question in my mind that I am attracted to both sexes. That is what being bisexual is to me.

Some bisexuals will vacillate between stronger attractions to one sex or the other. But, I sort of doubt that the Kinsey scale varies from 0 to 6 with any bisexual although I suppose it is possible. Everyone's sexuality is different.

You don't say if you are suffering any anxiety or depression or the type of relationship you have with your wife. All of those can affect how you process your emotions. This can add to the confusion and doubt. I would get very serious about seeing a therapist to get to the bottom of your emotions before deciding anything. The thing to remember in therapy is to be completely honest about everything. Therapists have heard it all so you really cannot shock them.

Please continue to post as you work through this there are folks on this forum who have a much better grasp of the difficulties of your struggles than I.

#12 Nickw, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  13. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    NickW I guess to answer your question about being attracted to woman I would have to say I am at times but I feel like it's something I've made myself conditioned to so I could hide from myself. That's the best explanation I could give at this point. It is something I need to think about more I guess.

Don't get me wrong I love her and respect her and Ive been with her for so long I couldn't imagine her not in my life in some degree but I also feel I'm not being fair to her because I'm not giving her everything she deserves and my whole self. When we are intimate I'm finding more and more im fantasizing/wishing I was currently with the same sex.

As far any anxiety or depression I don't think. I mean I go through spurts where I do get sad and frustrated about this whole situation and in the past I never confronted it I would put it back in the bottle and move forward. So I don't know if that's considered depression or not. I'm not finding it hard to get out of bed and live day to day or find myself crying uncontrollably (what I think depression is).

I am going to find a therapist to talk to and hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg because I know I can't do this alone and only talking to people over EC.

14. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bazinga

You may not need a lot of sessions with a therapist if you are not depressed or very anxious to help you understand what you are feeling. After three sessions in, I felt like I was beating a dead horse. But, those three sessions were worth every penny!

15. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Nick for your advice. I'm starting to look up some lgbt therapists in my area. Gunna try and get enough courage to actually call them