1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had a talk with my husband yesterday

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Apr 3, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The last few days have been emotional ones. I'm starting to find honesty coming easier and easier.

I told my husband in very clear terms what I'm feeling now. I told him that I'm certain at this point that I need to be with a woman, and that not doing so will make me feel like I'm not a complete person. I told him that I'm starting to wonder if I'm simply gay. I told him that I've been considering separation but that I'm not sure yet if that's the right course, that part of me wonders if open marriage could work.

His responses surprised me. He told me that he would likely be open to considering an open marriage, given the way I feel about needing to experience this to be a fuller person. I was really clear about what I need, that it's about an emotional connection, intimacy, romance, etc. Sex, yes, but not just sex. This was a shock for me that he was so open to it. Then of course we talked it through a bit and he shared his feelings.

We also talked alot about what we think is wrong with the marriage itself, and I told him I'm not sure anymore that we can fix those things.

And then I talked to him about things that I felt were always missing, emotional connection, passion and feeling like he gets my emotional needs. I'm still not sure whether some of these missing pieces are indications that I can't find those emotional connections with a man, or whether I missed the mark with my husband (and other men I've been with). I talked about this with my husband too.

It was hard to be honest, I didn't want to say things that hurt him. But it also felt like it just had to be said. We're not yet at the point of making decisions, I still need to think about the parts I'm uncertain about. Those things come with me exploring by meeting people and building new friendships, meeting women and just generally being honest with myself about how I feel as I go along. But I feel like I was completely honest with my husband and myself about everything I'm feeling and thinking.

I don't know how I feel at this moment. I can't say I feel great, because it was hard to tell my husband hurtful things, but I don't feel bad either, because I feel like this was right and honest. I'm in a weird almost numb state, feeling a little bit down but also feeling a little bit good about being true to me.

I'm not sure what comes next...

2. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well done you, that's not easy. My now pretty much ex is coming back to the house today to have a chat about practical things. It's going to be tough. It's good though that you can happily say you want to be with a woman, in finding that but difficult to accept wanting to be with a man. Internalised homophobia is rife.

3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am happy for you that you were able to have such an open and honest conversation with your husband. It is great that he did not completely freak out. He sounds like a pretty good guy! A lot of guys would make this about themselves.

At this point it appears you really NEED to explore you attraction to women. Are you going to get started now? If you kick this down the road with your husband, you may lose some of the gains you have made. Married couples seem to drop back into old habits. I know I need to keep pushing myself and my wife to keep moving forward.

4. afgirl

Right now I'm sure it's time for him and you to process everything. I think we all want answers so quickly, so I'm sure this is frustrating for both you and him, but let it process.

There is a lot to think about. I mean, he needs to really search and find out if he is willing to be put in that situation. He deserves happiness as much as you do. Will this solution provide that for him, or is his tolerance the result of feeling he has no other valid options and trying to hang on to what he has left of the relationship? This is such a difficult time for both of you and kudos to you both for being adult about the whole situation. Open, honest communication is the best thing for everyone.

5. brians34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Having the talk with my wife about my attractions to men was very hard.

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

Jedi, I have learned that this forum is a loving place where there are many people that are willing to listen and offer help/hope. I wish you much happiness in your coming out and that you will find that comfort to get you through all this.

6. demidiluvian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Very brave! It's tough, yes, but I felt like a huge weight was off when I spoke to my wife. Well, after :slight_smile: Rooting for you & your husband. I hope with this clarity you can start to move forward to whatever situation will wind up working for the both of you.

7. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow!!! I'm so proud of you! This was a super tough thing, and it sounds like you did a great job! Way to be brave!

:thumbsup: (!) :thumbsup:(!) :thumbsup:

8. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done you too, you made a clean break, I really admire that. These talks with my husband have been building for some time now. I've been telling him little bits and pieces here and there for the last six-seven months, but I think I finally got *everything* out in the open. Part of the reason it's taken me so long is that I'm still on the fence about which is the best path, open marriage or separation. But i know that I'm closer to learning that. I'm meeting women and making new friends, and I hope this gives me clarity about whether I'd be satisfied with an open marriage or whether I'd want more.

I have reached a place of comfort and even pride in terms of my feelings for women. But it's not easy to get to that point. I've been following your story, and you are making great steps. You've had some hateful messages growing up. I can imagine how hard it is to get past the shame.

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2016 at 10:03 AM ----------

Thanks :slight_smile: My husband's been growing alot lately, it's taken a long time for him to get to this point of acceptance. I came out as bisexual to him about seven months ago (at the time, I thought bi made sense, now I'm not so sure). He was a bit uncomfortable about my sexuality and threatened by it's implications for a long time. But I think at the core, he really does care about my happiness.

I am starting to explore now, but that really just means going out and meeting women and also meeting women online. I'm trying to do everything above board, not cheat, be honest with new people I meet, but I'm also trying to set the groundwork for dating, and trying to see what these new friendships and the flirtation and chemistry feels like and what my instincts are telling me. It's a really weird spot to be in, a weird middle ground, but I think it's right for the circumstances. that's really the only thing holding me back from making the decision. I want to have more experience being around lesbians and bi women, letting myself explore what I feel around women I make a connection with, and hopefully that will give me the clarity I need to make a decision, and then to move forward.

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2016 at 10:07 AM ----------

It's hard for me to be in that processing stage, but I think it's the right thing. We have to be thoughtful about how we do things because of our daughter, I want everything to be respectful to both of our needs and to consider her in the process.

I'm really worried about what you mention, that he is being open to the idea of open marriage simply because he feels it's the only hope we have. I started trying to discuss that last night, but he said he wanted to stop talking at that point and think more about it later. So we left it there.

I'm hoping that my exploring time will also give him time to think about his needs. I'm not going to be unfair to him, or at least I'll make every effort not to be.

9. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Glad for you and your husband's reaction.
    He seems to love you and care about you a lot! Him letting you explore is a very selfless gesture.
    As long as you are ok with the possibility of him doing same..
    Reaction of mine was very opposite, still recovering from all the hurt.
    So you are lucky, really lucky.:thumbsup:

10. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was hard, but I at least had paved the way a bit by coming out as bisexual several months ago. It was almost impossible to get the words out back then. But now I don't know if I believe I'm bi, I don't feel comfortable yet, because of my inexperience, claiming that I'm a lesbian. But something, like some instinct tells me, I think I am gay. I just need to get a better grasp on that at this point. But, yeah telling my husband that I may be gay, not bi, was hard, but I'm starting to feel more comfortable about who I am, and the words came out more naturally this time. The worst part is the implications for us, I just felt that those words were going to hurt him mso much. And of course they did, because it feels more hopeless that we can work this out.

I love this forum too, its starting to feel like my home. At this point I'm feeling less like I'm coming out, but more like I'm coming into the full me. My big jump was telling myself that I was not straight, claiming the label bisexual did that. And telling my family and best friends. But now I'm feeling more like, yeah you're not straight, now it's time to become fully comfortable with exactly what my orientation and my needs and feelings are.

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2016 at 10:21 AM ----------

Thanks demidiluvian, I feel emotionally drained right now, but I do feel some relief at getting everything out into the open. Maybe soon that will feel like a weight has been lifted? Now the key is to find the clarity for the rest of my questions....

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2016 at 10:26 AM ----------

Thank you :slight_smile: i feel like I've made an important step, but there's so much left to figure out.

I have been feeling so much more relaxed and comfortable about talking about my orientation. I've told my sister and two best friends now that I think I'm gay not bi. It felt so much easier than the coming out the first time as bi. But the direction of the marriage, that's the hardest bit for me. I need lots of extra doses of bravery to make sure I make the right choice in the end, whatever it turns out to be.

#10 baristajedi, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  11. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My husband reacted the same way. He was so nice and accepting it made me even feel more guilty. He suggested an open marriage, threesomes, basically any way that would allow us to stay together but ultimately that didn't work for us. For me if it was simply about the sex an open marriage would have worked. But I am more about intimacy, about sharing my life fully with another woman. Eventually we divorced and I married a woman and never looked back. Only you know what you need in a relationship and you won't be able to settle for less. I mean how long have you been "settling" for already?

12. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very lucky, and honestly surprised, at my husband being so selfless. This is going to sound a bit unusual, but I *want* my husband to explore. He's not really up for it. The open marriage rules will go both ways in my mind, but I don't think he would do it.

I'm sorry you had such a struggle (*hug*) I hope you feel like you're starting to move forward.

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2016 at 10:33 AM ----------

I keep thinking that that may likely be my ultimate decision....that I may need to have a full relationship with another woman. That's why I'm trying to work out my feelings a little bit before we decide on one direction or another. I don't want to settle. And I don't want my husband to either.

Congrats to you on moving on and getting married! That's wonderful to hear!

#12 baristajedi, Apr 3, 2016
  13. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish you the best and I that you have the strength to get through the difficult times ahead. Don't think the coming out was the hard part. I hate to say it but it's going to get worse before it gets better. When I was going through the break up and everything there was a time where I wished I could take it all back. But you can't put Pandora back in the box. Once you head down this road there really is no turning back. If anything you become more determined.

#13 OutofZCloset, Apr 3, 2016
  14. SnowshoeGeek

Wow... seriously wow, lady.

How do you feel now?

15. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your support. I know, I'm fairly sure that separation would be the biggest hurdle. That's why I'm deliberating on it for so long. Honestly, I'm not afraid of breaking ties with my husband, but the rupture that creates for my daughter...that's something I'm not taking lightly, and I'm trying to make sure I'm certain I know exactly what I want before making any huge steps.

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2016 at 02:22 AM ----------

I don't know how I feel....I'm mostly feeling queasy, like the feeling you have before an important event. It's like a feeling that just sort of creeps up all around me. It's good and bad feelings all mingling together. I think there is some part of me that believes future me is content, at peace and free, and there's also a part of me that feels like short term future me is f*ing scared shitless. And there's also the apprehension of hurting and disappointing others, facing others' judgment. It's hard to articulate those feelings.

16. SnowshoeGeek

Nope, you succeeded quite admirably and I 100% know what you're talking about. That is exactly how I felt when I made a commitment to myself not to squelch my future aspirations and desires.

I have nothing wise for you. Hang on; it'll be the ride of your life.

(*hug*)

17. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow way to go. I'm glad you were able to finally get everything in the open, the build up must have been trying. I hope you find happiness.

18. CameronMR

19. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Bunny and Cameron. (*hug*)

20. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your story is inspiring. Going for what you want but taking your husband's and child's interests to heart as well. When I find the courage I want to take your lead and do the same (minus the child because I don't have one) I don't know exactly what I want yet and I don't know how it's going to affect my wife when I figure it out but I want the best for her too without giving up what I will want.