1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Myriad of emotions

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Justasking100, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    After coming out to myself I find myself having a myriad of emotions, thoughts racing, a little excitement, fear, sadness, guilt. I am keen to not to do anything silly and undertake any impulsive behaviours that I regret. I am trying to stay grounded in the moment but my heart is beating fast.
    Did anyone have similar experiences? Everything has happened so fast for me over the last couple of weeks, my mind is spinning and I still have a tension headache wrapped around my skull that I thought would disappear as I became honest with myself.
    Anyone got any thoughts on how to settle things down?

2. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you should go over some of the previous threads that you've started then review and respond to the replies that you've already received?

#2 SiennaFire, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  3. TravelerMe

All those emotions happen to me often. After years in the closet and trying to rewire your brain to accept this can't be done overnight.

This is easier said then done but I try to focus on things in the now, the present. The mantra is "Don't regret the past, nor fear the future, watch the present" This might mean focusing on some important task that needs done or simply enjoying the now; a meal, a refreshing drink, the blue sky, smiling at someone, whatever. Just helps me get past anxious moments sometime.

I just started the headspace app, we'll see. I've tried similar tactics like just sitting still for as long as I can without moving, talking etc Sometimes I can get up to a half and hour but other times just a few minutes. It's amazing how many ideas will flow through your mind.

4. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks Siena, I've probably said all this before.
    I think it's like a fizzy bottle, it's been all shaken up and needs time to settle. Problem by trying to solve we end up shaking the bottle even more.
    Some mindfulness tonight I think

5. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #5 SiennaFire, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  6. Spurs1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Is mindfulness helpful in what we are going through- is anyone depressed so they can hardly function?

7. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes I'm definitely depressed though somehow I know I'll get through this... There is always blue skies behind the clouds.

8. BeingEarnest

When I came out, I was overwhelmed with emotions. I did not realize how much I kept inside for so many years. I cried more than I ever thought possible. Which was amazing because before that I couldn't cry. I have learned to accept and appreciate that I am experiencing the world in a deeper way now that I am free to be myself. Therapy helped a lot. So did writing a journal about these experiences.

9. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    How long have you been out earnest?