1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bringing my love of reading to my love of women

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by latenlife lez, Apr 6, 2016.

1. latenlife lez

Well I have recently- in the last year come out to myself and husband- and a few others- one of the things I loved in my Straight life- was romance novels- in the last 10 years they just did not hold the same draw and pull though and well now I know why.

I started getting samples of books from amazon- then got a few short stories. Yesterday I graduated to a full blown novel. I am enjoying it very much. But sometimes it gets weird- mainly because I keep trying to compare- my reactions to steamy scenes before I was out with hetero book- verses my reaction now with lesbian books.

my reaction is that it feels normal but weird- what I enjoy no matter who is making love- is the suspense leading to the moment- however what makes it weird is I can now imagine me doing it- or receiving it when reading a Lesbian scene-- before I never really imagined- and as I said in the last 10 year- I mainly flipped through love scenes- and got back to the plot.

It is very weird- for me- in some ways the books could be identical with the exception of who is doing who- but on some level I guess I needed this- because I am begging to feel normal-- as normal as I can living 2 lives (both in and out of the closet)

I love to experience through reading- and as a teen it was my escape-- to be honest it still is- I wonder if I had had a chance to read a romance novel with any type of couple would I have been un-aware so long?- or would I have seen myself and struggled through my 20's instead of my 40's

anybody else out there going through this with books?

2. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uhh....there are lesbian books? Who would have guessed. :slight_smile: Do you have any recommendations?