1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the right way to come out of the closet?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Apr 6, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi friends,

I've just been thinking about things, and felt like generating a discussion.

I realized in the last few days that my path in coming out of the closet is criticized by some in my life as "moving too fast", and others (mostly on EC), as "moving too slowly" and being "stuck" or "frozen".

I have to say before going too far with this thread, that I take a lot of heart in all the support I get on here, even the harshest of criticism, because you are all so kind and caring in the intention to either encourage, support or give insight, no matter what form that support comes in (hugs or kicks in the butt) :slight_smile:.

But I'm just thinking about how we all have such different paths, and I want to sort of generate discussion on this idea that I feel I see represented on here that there seems to be a "right" path, when I'm not sure there ever really is one way to do anything.

My story, briefly- i came out as bi 7 months ago, and at that time believed it was just a matter of becoming comfortable with myself. Within a couple of months i realised that coming out for me was evolving to be a need for an experience, rather than just an expression of my identity or acknowledgement of my orientation. It also meant facing huge amounts of fear, shame and insecurity, which I started shedding over time. That pushed me into a very bad emotional place, and i was losing the ability to take care of everyday responsibilities, mainly my parenting and work were suffering, and I totally crashed. That was about 2 1/2 months after coming out. I stopped dealing with questions about my sexuality for a bit, to regain focus, and came back to it again about 2 1/2 months ago. In those last 2 1/2 months, I gradually started feeling more and more like this need for an experience was much more, and that it is certainly a need for having my feelings for women be part of my consistent, permanent life. I still haven't really learned yet whether that means I'm gay or bi, whether that means I need to separate from my husband or would find satisfaction in an open marriage, but my instincts are heavily leaning to thinking I'm gay and want to separate from my husband. The big sticking point for me is that I've never been with a woman, and it's hard to get past that and into a decisive frame of mind. I keep making decisions or coming to solid relisations along the way, but I'm still not quite at that final decision that will help me move forward and basically get on with my life. I'm almost there, but still sorting through the final internal push to get there.

I'm not here to say that my process is good or bad, fast or slow, I'm just representing it in full.

I feel like the generally approved path here is come out, immediately separate, and then go be fabulously gay.

Well for me, I had no idea that coming out, in the form I did 7 months ago, might lead to that path. But here I am now, on the cusp of deciding that. It's surreal, honestly, to realise that I started down this road that would completely change my life, and I embarked on that road simply to acknowledge a truth about me. I still haven't had my second coming out, guys. The one where I say "I'm gay". Yet sometimes I feel like my threads are received as, come on, you've come out 7 months ago, just get on with being gay.

Believe me, when I feel I can put that stamp of lesbian confidently and certainly on my forehead, I'm ready to be f*ing fabulously gay. but I'm teetering right now on, is that what I am? Do I need a drastic change in the course of my life? I know I'm more than simply bi, I know my need for a woman in my life is something meaningful and long-lasting. But I am not completely sure yet what it means.

I feel a little discouraged when I see that the path some of us are on is kind of looked at as "slow" or "indecisive" or "self-denigrating". We all have different reasons for our fears and hesitation.

I'm really trying to move forward, and I believe I am, but I'm still learning who I am, what I feel, what I need. And even some of those things that I've started to recognize more fully, it takes time for me to let them sink in.

Does anyone else here feel like sharing your story, one that veers from the path stamped as "brave" by EC standards?

I mostly just want to generate discussion, and my story is only here as an example.

#1 baristajedi, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only people who could possibly say you are taking it too slow are the young people. People with nothing to lose. Factor in the longtime marriage, kids, house, financial responsibilities, and everything that goes into building a life with someone and only a rational person would take it slow. Like I said before I went through exactly what you're going through but it was 21 years ago. Sure I was married, but for only a couple of years at that point. We didn't have any kids together. The house was not an issue and I was the one with the high paying job so financially it was easy. Even with how "easy" it was it took me 6 months to finally walk away from everything I had ever know in life. 6 months and i tossed it in the garbage for the unknown. For this mysterious hope that it will be better. That somehow I'll be fulfilled. It's scarey....really scarey. There's so much hesitation. What If you're wrong? What if your life sucks after this? What if you never find the girl of your dreams and you end up alone? What if your friends or family hate you for breaking up the marriage? What if they think this is just a mid life crisis? How could you do this to your husband....your kids? Your being selfish. All these things will cross your mind and they will take time to process. So take you time and when you're ready you'll take the next step.

#2 OutofZCloset, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  3. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for writing this. I want to reply, but I'm about to pass out for the night. Hopefully tomorrow. Anyway, thanks for writing.

Summary of what I want to say: You do you.

4. Grace66

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes. This. Exactly this.

5. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, Jedi, I don't think there's a "right" way to do any of this. I've been really triggered by any kind of "should" as I've been going through this. You have to figure out what's right for you and your family. (Not sure if you have kids you're having to consider as you make decisions.) And, it's ok if you have one set of goals for a while and then later change or adjust them. I don't think our path has to be a straight line. (Womp womp, pun not intended, but it applies).

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there is a right way, or a wrong way actually, only our own way. Each and every one of us is different; our lives are different, our personal circumstances are different and perhaps most importantly, our emotional responses are different. Nobody can prescribe a perfect way to come out.

I do think it's important to keep moving forward on your personal coming out journey, even if it's only baby steps. It's important to recognise that challenges and obstacles may exist and some days/weeks it will drain your energy to confront them. On those days and in those weeks you may come to an almost grinding halt and a sense of great despondency may kick in, and it's at those times when the support and encouragement of this community is so important. We can hold out our hands and help you along -- to try to show you a way forward. Of course, we can't live your life for you or make decisions on your behalf, but we can bring hope and inspiration when it just seems too much and tell you that you are "brave" when you don't see it yourself.

7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think the "right" way is for each of us to go at our own pace. i've been streaching this out over 2 years. i have my reasons, mostly centered around my kid, but for my path to go another way might be more harmful to those i care about than the one i am pusuing.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The better question may simply be: What is the right way to have a difficult conversation?

If you think in terms of a difficult communication, you may draw upon past experiences where you have had to do this.

My suggestion has always been the following: Create a private space where you won't be interrupted, then tackle the most difficult part first, no preamble, no hemming and hawing, say it first, in the first sentence, then let it settle in. Silence is appropriate for a bit, then let the real, real conversation begin.

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is great advice that PatrickUK is giving - keep moving forward. And as others have said, go at your own pace. The two in combination mean: try not to stand still. And if there is an obstacle, work to solve the obstacle.

Interestingly, it seems you have identified what the obstacle is where you say:

So, it seems you want to progress, it seems you know you need to progress, and at the same time you have identified a MASSIVE impediment to progressing. Now the question is: how do you do something about it so you can keep moving forward (regardless of how fast or slow you do so)?

If I recall correctly, you have had discussions with your husband in the past where he is aware of the situation. Assuming you want to continue to be direct with him, may I suggest you sit down with him and explain your need to actually explore and experiment, and thereafter follow through with it? It seems it might be the only way for you to come to a conclusion one way or another. That said, if your not comfortable with having that type of conversation and therafter follow through (and based on your prior posts about your relationship, no one can fault you), maybe you need to consider a more discreet approach.

During my marriage, I was always faithful. However, prior to my marriage, I was active sexually with both guys and girls - and quite extensively. As a result, I never had the doubt from not knowing if I felt right being with a guy - I already knew I was very comfortable doing so. At the same time, I had been involved emotionally and romantically with a guy prior to my marriage; so even there, I was comfortable knowing I could have both feelings and physical desires.

If this is a real stumbling block for you, it behoves you to figure out a solution one way or another so you can satisfy your curiosity. Others on EC have been able to figure it out openly with their spouses, while others took a more discreet approach. You need to figure out which approach is best for you.

It seems, however, this is fundamental to your continued progress.

#9 OnTheHighway, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  10. CameronMR

I am doing this in a different order, personally. lol I come out, there's a lull as I allow him to process, then I become fabulously gay, THEN i'll separate. lol We each have our own rooms so I dont have to put up with the unplesantries of sleeping next to him anymore. I feel, at times, as though I am moving far too quickly(I have 3 intimate girl friends and yes they all know about each other), and at other times I feel as though I am moving far to slowly(still living with my ex-which does feel limiting). Ultimately I remind myself that I am moving at a pace that is right for me right now, and that it is just me being impatient.

I always thought I was Bi(or pan) but as time went on I realized how unhealthy my relationships with men were. How I did things because they were expected and not because I wanted. When I came to this realization I started noticing things that I ignored or repressed before, such as how utterly revolting male body fluids are to me and how nauseated I got when they would come in contact with me.

I felt as you describe, worried about coming out and being fully gay, questions like "what if I was wrong?" "how would he feel if it turned out I'm not gay?" but after some pushing, by him, to open up I finally came out. At first I was afraid to say "I am a lesbian" outloud. My councellor would encourage me to say it out loud, to him, or to myself in the mirror, but just to practice. At first it felt awkward and foreign, but as I got used to saying the word I was able to really see how much I identified with it. Its kinda like a new pair of doc martins, you gotta go through breaking them in before they will fit they way they should. I now feel confidant about my orientation, and I can proudly say I am a lesbian to almost anyone. (do I have to tell my dads family? no, no I do not! haha!)

I understand that want/need to be with a woman, for the expirience or just to be sure. For myself, the more times I am with a woman, it cements my decision. Each time makes me happy I finally came to my senses. The only problem in your case, is that there isnt a welcome wagon to the LGBTQ community that rolls up to your door with a "sample lady" to experiment on. (why not? we should get on this...lol) I don't think this lack of expirience will affect your decision, I think you'll be shocked that you didn't do this sooner, or something will just stick out as utterly amazing(ie: the softness of her skin that you were just not prepared for or accustomed to after being with men only). Of course, I don't know you that well, so I may be off.

#10 CameronMR, Apr 7, 2016
  11. Really

Yes, could you get on this?

12. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bwahaha. I am picturing a really awesome rainbow Subaru Forester full of lesbians of many kinds. :slight_smile:

13. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Be you and go at your own pace. It is a struggle for those that do switch their orientations but you have people accepting here. TBH everyone has obstacles they deal with and we all think differently.

I changed from being hetero to bi but it took me a few years to process it. Never thought I'd struggle this much thinking which gender I prefer but liking both equally is not a bad thing. Never dated either so, there's that lol.

14. CameronMR

:lol:

15. MS001

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, we all are on different paths. And a huge path that you fail to acknowledge in this post is that not all of us have marriages or relationships that we need to extricate ourselves from. :dry:

You don't have to be with a woman to identify as L or B and you don't have to identify as L or B to be with a woman.

Again, not everyone here is in a relationship!!! I came on the site when I was coming out, and I've known I was gay since I was a kid, so this may not apply to me. However, I have seen tons of threads where people hem and haw about their identity or hesitate to leave their relationship. For me, I don't see any point in going through all the pain of coming out without becoming involved in the LGBT community and reaping the rewards of coming out. Being isolated from the LGBT community sucks. So yes, being fabulously gay is probably the ideal because being involved in your community is affirming and healthy.

I don't know what getting on with being gay is supposed to mean. But if it means go to LGBT events...then, yes, GO!!! It is awesome and you are really missing out if the only LGBT community you are involved with is online.

You don't have to say L or B, you can just say you are queer and that is all encompassing.

IF you are in fact a lesbian and decide to come out as a lesbian, you will later understand how this stage of uncertainty is getting through the internalized homophobia. If you are not a lesbian, then you will realize it is a part of an internalized biphobia. It just is.

#15 MS001, Apr 7, 2016
  16. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no rush. You don't have to decide. There is no time line. You have the time to make yourself comfortable and do what feels right for you. Who are these people doing the "looked at as" looking anyway? They aren't important. You are.

17. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, so happy to be able to finally come back on EC, I've had some serious withdrawal. I have been travelling for a few days and my wifi has been super spotty. I managed to start this thread while I was away, but I haven't had much luck keeping wifi up since then.

I want to respond to each of the posts on here in turn. But first just a quick response because I won't be able to get back to the thread until a little later in the evening.

I started this thread, all cards on the table, because I was feeling a little down and maybe even a bit sorry for myself. As emotional as I am, I don't usually get into that kind of mood, but my feelings were something like - I'm just not quite there anymore in my marriage, in the life I've built, and what I long for is to be me, this new understanding of me, and to be part of the community I'm starting to feel is my own. But feeling like I can't quite break into that "new me", like I'm not part of this community (not just EC, the LGBT community in general). I'm sometimes so afraid, so insecure, and so doubtful about myself that I just lose heart, but I want to be part of this community, I want to feel I belong even if I haven't figured it all out just yet....

So that was my frame of mind when posting this.

I have so much more to say, I don't know how far I'll get at this point.

One thing that I think I've been battling is this pull towards the life I've built and this pull away from it, to something new, some warm and fuzzy future peace, where my internal and external life are congruent.

Through my time here on EC, and even a little in my real life LGBT meetups, I have gotten two dominant messages (both super supportive). One is the sense of holding up and encouragement ("you can do it!", "you'll get there!", "you've made a big step!"), and the other is critical insight/encouragement ("are you sure you've considered xyz?", "you can't let others' views impede you", "don't stop moving forward")

But there is a third, perhaps understood insight that I don't see as much, and it's one I'm thinking I need to adopt for myself. Acceptance of the limits you have, but courage and motivation to change it, even if done in small increments. I'm stuck sometimes because my emotions and perspective are changing so much faster than the practical aspects of my life. I am evolving and I feel myself wanting to go forward in so many ways, but feel limits all around me. I think the key here is both of these elements at once. I need to just accept my limitations, I have trouble doing that, sometimes I just feel them pressing on my like a ton of bricks. But I also can't let them define me.

I have so much more, but this is a beginning of some things that I want to say in relation to this thread... I'll be back soon with more. :slight_smile:

#17 baristajedi, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  18. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have some of the same feelings your having baristajedi. At this point I don't know if I'm gay or bi. I guess I wld like to be bi because I have a better chance of holding onto a lot of things I hold dear to me and I don't know if that's what's holding me back from telling the truth that I'm gay. It's hard to sort through all of these emotions at once. I'm going to talk with my therapist for the first time on Monday and express this to him so hopefully I can figure it out fully before moving the chess pieces on the board.

19. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think alot of people who have made it to the other side, taken the big leap and left their straight partners, are keen to help push you along to break free from yours. I think sometimes we all just take more time to get there.

I appreciate that push greatly, but when I wrote this post I was a bit down in the dumps and feeling like I'm just never going to get there, and wishing I could, but not wanting to feel I can't come back on here and be part of this community. I guess that's where my words were coming from.

These things are going through my head all the time, and this is what's so terrifying about taking that leap.

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2016 at 03:38 AM ----------

No there isn't, there really isn't one right way, I know. I suppose I just sometimes feel like a coward that I'm not making the big leap to be where I want to be. But I think I'm just simply not there yet, not ready. I think there are things I need to do first, but the key is I need to be doing those things, not hiding away or building a wall of introspection.

I do have a daughter (3 years old) to consider and that is what gives me the most pause in taking big steps.

I have been thinking alot lately that I don't want to face my failure. The failure is not in breaking up my marriage (if/when it comes to that), it's in having gotten married in the first place. Not having known myself well enough (or acknowledging my true needs) and having made my, my husband's and now my daughter's life so complicated as a result. I'm not sure how to overcome that big giant failure feeling.

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2016 at 03:52 AM ----------

Your post has helped me realise something that I now see has created a huge stumbling block for me. Accepting my limitations, while not letting them define me (and always moving forward). I think one of the things I tend to do is rage and whine internally against my limitations. At one extreme I think things like well I've created these limitations, so I guess I have to take it on the chin and sacrifice some part of me because of those choices I've made. Getting married, not having come out at a younger age, etc. At other times I think, why can't I just get on with my damn life? Why can't I just get out of my marriage and not have it be a painful, slow and stressful experience?

It's a very paralysing set of feelings and I really need to break free of them.

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2016 at 03:55 AM ----------

This is encouraging to hear, that you're moving forward but taking your time. If you don't mind sharing, I'm interested in hearing what steps you're taking towards living a fuller life, and how you're managing to keep it less stressful for your kids, and also coping for yourself in terms of the slow growth.

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2016 at 03:57 AM ----------

I suppose this is something I haven't done enough of. Had a real, true, internal conversation. Talking to myself about my truths and my needs, and then letting it sink in.

I think I find this quite daunting.

#19 baristajedi, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  20. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right, OTH, this is absolutely right. I think I've realised only within the last few days, that this internal battle I've been having about whether I should leave or stay with my husband has been making it hard for me to make real progress and to do the things I need to do to move forward.

Your insight has inspired me to think about this a bit differently, and to come up with an "action plan". I think that what I really need to focus on right now is my growth in gaining experience with women. I want to start doing and being and I think this is a good place to start.

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2016 at 04:07 AM ----------

Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you're really progressing, in major ways, but in your own order and in your own time. This is really encouraging and gives me a different perspective to think about this.

Ha, yes I really want that lesbian welcome wagon :wink:.

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2016 at 04:24 AM ----------

Yes, I know this is what I need to do, go at my own pace. I guess we're all just fumbling around trying to figure all of this out.