1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some People

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by afgirl, Apr 8, 2016.

1. afgirl

I live in Mississippi. Yes, one of the states that just passed some seriously backwoods bill that actually allows discrimination towards the LGBT community. Now I see the comments on FB. I have a hard time with the ignorance that prevails here sometimes. I guess it shouldn't surprise me, but it kills me that people who claim to be Christians single out homosexuality as this evil thing. One of my former bosses....who was actually the best boss I ever had....posted a pic of the rainbow flag that said something like "Share if you believe homosexuality is a sin."

Really??? I guess lately I've been looking at things from a much different perspective. Hopefully, in a few years I can pack up and move to a bit more liberal location.

2. YeahpIdk

I don't know why the first thing I thought of was to throw up some Foot Loose quote, LOL.

I realize I may be the only person who finds that funny...

3. lilli

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I beyond sympathize. I've had to unfollow SO MANY people on Facebook, and ever since coming out, I've felt scrutiny from so many places, which in 2016, seems just ludicrous. I can't wait to get out of the Bible Belt either. I send all the hugs, and declare that unfollowing is a great policy. (*hug*)

4. afgirl

Nope. That sounds about right.

I just wish these people would stop for about five minutes and take a look at the evidence. I mean, the scripture condemning homosexuality are few and some of them are in question. I'm pretty certain that the word homosexuality did not even come into existence until the 19th century, so a lot of the interpretations are actually open to interpretation.

That being said, the number of scripture that tells us to love one another are in the hundreds, and that seems to be ignored completely.

Now, in 2016, I can effectively be discriminated against because of my sexual preference? Really? Is there anything that says businesses can't provide a service to liars, cheaters, thieves, adulterers, murderers, etc. based on their strong moral and religious convictions?

We have just stepped back in time, and not in a good way.

5. demidiluvian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The small-mindedness of this is so sad and shitty. I wonder if anyone behind this will ever realize how pathetically tiny their worldview is? I'm sorry you have to live in a place with people who have allowed themselves to become so frightened of their fellow humans.

6. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is one of the reasons why I personally want to come out publicly, even though I don't have to because I am in an opposite-sex marriage. It is easy for small-minded people to hate LGBT people when they don't have any in their life. The minute they have a friend, cousin, co-worker, etc. that they like who is LGBT, they have to think a little.

I'm not necessarily encouraging you to come out afgirl, I'm not familiar with your situation. And that new law could cause problems. I'm more talking about my situation. Thankfully I live in a fairly liberal northern state and can't be discriminated against quite as easily (legally). It's never easy anywhere, though. We have got to get this society progressed forward, this stuff is ridiculous.

Hang in there, I'm sending a hug of support.(*hug*)

7. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I heard about that law that passed. A couple other states have passed laws surrounding these issues as well and it's like they are stepping backwards in time. I believe KY just passed something a few weeks ago that says businesses can discriminate against people in the LGBT community. It's just crazy that we have come so far in the past 50 years but society is still scared of the differences in each other instead of holding hands and finding how we are all in common. We all have feelings. We all have wants and needs. Why, if your not part of the majority, does it not seem to matter. I feel like a century from now the people living then will look back at this Era and say why the hell didn't they just accept each other. They could of accomplished so much.

8. TravelerMe

Well society has taken a pretty big leap in the last few years and just because 5 out of 9 folks in black robes said marriage is cool isn't going to change 20,000 of human history overnight.

With vigilance and honesty things will keep improving for the better.
    Even in my very conservative area people are fairly accepting or at least indifferent to same sex couples.

I saved a picture on my phone for a while of a blindfolded young man about to be tossed off a building after being accused of being gay in the Middle East.
    How blest are we to be able to discuss this freely. These things ebb and flow in a republic such as ours but soon enough love and understanding will win out. I truly believe that.

#8 TravelerMe, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  9. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agree with this. This is why I am thinking the same thing. If someone like me cannot come out, we cannot move society forward. Still terrifies me though!

10. afgirl

Yes, I agree. I really have no issues with coming out to everyone. As it stands, a lot of people know that I'm in a same-sex relationship with my girlfriend. And yes, it pretty much blew people's minds because they never expected it from me. The only thing that holds me back now is that we live in a rural area in Mississippi and it's very conservative. My daughter is terrified on how this will affect her, and I am trying to respect that. I can't do anything if it gets back to her but I'm making a conscious effort not to disrupt her life because of my choices.

That being said, I think a lot of the people who know me would give all this a second thought if they knew because they really do know me. It's just hard to anticipate how narrow-minded someone might be. It's hard for me because I am really proud of this relationship. She is a great woman, so beautiful inside and out, and I'm happy to be in such a healthy relationship with her. This is truly what it's supposed to feel like. So yes, very torn, but I think if you can be out completely it does help. We're not so scary that way. When it becomes personal, people have to take notice, right?

11. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm afraid that TX is going to do this when the legislative session starts up. I'm considering whether I would want to move or not. I live in a small rural town too, and am afraid that I wouldn't be able to find employment if something happened to my current job. It seems like things were getting so much better, especially where I live, and in the last 6 months there has been this weird 180 of hatefulness. I wish you and your family weren't going through this. (Supportive long distance hug.)