1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally told my husband...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by DancingGirl, Apr 9, 2016.

1. DancingGirl

Hello everyone. So this week has been hard. Last Saturday I told my husband I wanted a divorce. For lot's of reasons, but also I because I am gay. He is not accepting it very well. He admits we are having problems and have been for years. For the most part we both have been ignoring it. At first he cried and said we would work on it. Get counseling and take time. But as the week has gone on, I feel I am just prolonging this by letting him think that. So I brought it up again last night. He cried again and left. Then came home postive and asked me to please work on it. It was 2am and I said we would talk in the morning. So we did. I asked him to understand that this might not be able to be fixed because I am gay. And that I wanted him to please research later in life coming out. We haven't talked since. That was eight hours ago.
    Wondering if anyone who has gone through this has any thoughts on how to proceed.
    We have been married 13 years and have two daughters six and nine. We own a home and live near no family.
    I should also note that I have become romantically involved with a good friend and coworker. We have been off and on for almost four years now. She is single now, but wasn't when it started. I love her dearly and don't want to lost her in this process, but it is becoming hard for us too.
    Thanks for any words of advice.

2. HappyStartsNow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi Dancing Girl,

I can empathize with what you are currently going through. This past week I also approached my husband and told him that I want a divorce. He wasn't blindsided, we are both very aware that we have been unhappy for several years. He also knows that I am gay. I am very fortunate in the fact that we are both on the same page and actually have an appointment to file papers on Monday.

I am not a psychologist lol, but I would suggest to keep doing what you are doing. Keep the communication open between you both. There is a really good book that I referred to before I got to this point. I think it may be very helpful.

It is by Joanne Fleisher and is called Living Two Lives: Married to a Man and In Love With a Woman.

I wish you all the best on your journey.

3. Careboobear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good job for coming out to your husband. Now I'm just a teenager but I know how it feels to be in the closet. At the end of the day you gotta do what's best for you. If you're worried about your children, then the best you can give them is love. Don't stay in a marriage you're not happy with. It seems like your husband is trying to prolong the process, so be firm and put your foot down. I really wish you love and happiness. Take care!

4. CapColors

Keep going. You are on the right path with divorce and turning your side relationship into your first one.

It might be a good idea to actually send him links to resources to help him understand? And work on a plan for the future yourself so you'll be prepared when he is ready.

5. ThreeBears3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi <3 sorry things seem so hard right now. My only advice would be probably making sure you maintain a friendship with your husband, if you aren't near family & you're coming out with this and have children you'll at the very least want to be there for each other with and for them. That's a connection you have that you'll have forever. Make sure he knows the good things you feel about him. I guess you have a choice or a few to make. Staying married and talking about what you plan to do as far as another relationship and just not worrying about divorcing or moving. Divorcing but staying together on the house. Splitting but not divorcing and one person moves out, divorcing and one person moves out. Or selling the house but that's a lot for children. If this person you've been with is someone you want to keep in your life and she wants you too is this something that you're planning to move ahead with, so there's more than your husband to consider there's a girlfriend? So is it choosing to be with her and do you want to bring her more into your life? And does he know about her? Is it a lots of issues including you're gay or that plus you've moved on? So many things to think about, there are a lot of answers, even a trial separation, maybe be could even think about seeing other people? Some people have open relationships where they just move on to other people and accept that it just happened and can be friends.... I hope you find the best answers for everyone soon. I wish I had something helpful to add but I wanted to say hang in there, things will hopefully start to feel better soon.

6. CameronMR

I am definately in that boat, some days I cant see the shore, others days I can almost touch it... today I have lost sight of the shore.

"what we're fighting for is peace"
    ~Uh huh her

If you ever what to chat(my ex is also in denial on and off) please message me.

7. DancingGirl

Thank you to everyone who has responded. We have decided to try counseling. He believes it is to fix us I think, but for me it is to help him understand that I am gay and that I want a divorce because of that but also because he hasn't been present in our life in almost three years. I want him to be with someone who appreciates him for him. So hopefully we can work this work, get sivoreced and move onto lives that are meaningful for all involved.
    As for my gf. Yes she and I would like to be together in a full relationship. But she is very scared I am only leaving my marriage for her, not because I have been unhappy for the last five years and in that time discovered I am gay. Yes she is the woman that helped me discover so she also worries that she may be a passing phase. We have been involved in varying phases for the last almost four years. We have tried walking away from each other many times and it didn't stick.
    I just want us all to be happy and healthy, but it seems like such a hard thing to find right now.

8. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DancingGirl, I feel you so hard it not even funny. Couples counseling starts for us today... In an hour and a half. While I'm not seeking a divorce from my wife, she definitely wants this to "fix me/us" and for me it's to help her understand that I am, indeed, a woman.

Regardless of your specific feelings towards your gf, your husband needs to understand that this isn't some phase you can wish your way out of or just bottle up and put on a shelf. Even if tomorrow your gf left you or you left her, you'd still be queer. And perhaps the shittiest thing about it, is that it has ZERO to do with your husband or your gf. They are characters in your story - ones you should treat with love, respect and honesty undoubtedly, but it is your story. You owe it to yourself to be honest - above all else - to yourself. You're on that path, like most of us here.

Keep your chin up, lean forward, and swing your arms... Get into the stride of the walk, your walk, and you'll get there.

I'm sending big hugs and much love to you!!

9. DancingGirl

MsEmma,
    Your words are truly inspiring. Everything you said makes me want to get my shit together. Because you are so right. It is my story no matter how my husband and gf fit into it all.
    I like how you said "swing your arms, it is your walk" an old friend used to say I walked with a big arm swing, like I had a purpose. So fitting.
    I hope your counseling session goes well and you and your wife and find what you need.
    Much love to you. Take care.

10. DancingGirl

So he actually asked me yesterday when we were going to have sex again. He said he had a question and didn't want to start a huge emotional talk or a fight. Just when are we going to have sex again. I just responded with "I don't know" then went into the bathroom and cried. This is so hard. I don't want to be with him but he isn't listening to what I am saying. I told him last weekend that the idea of having sex with a man even him gives me a tremendous amount of anxiety. It feels awful.
    I am almost to the point of just filing and handing him the papers. Say when you realize what is really happening here, we can talk about what is the best for the girls and move forward.
    I am so sad today....

11. CapColors

I'm so sorry for your pain. It sounds awful. (*hug*)

I've read similar threads over the past year, and one thing I learned is it is a bad idea to have sex with him as it prolongs the loss.

12. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My story is exactly yours without the kids. The only thing is I lost the girl friend because she couldn't take being a part of something like that. You know you have already checked out of the marriage so it is time to go. Give your GF an exact date or time line and stick to it. Dragging your feet is only doing damage to your relationship with her. Either way you are going to leave. The only question is will you be alone when you do? My situation only went on for four months. Do not have sex with him....you would now be cheating on her. If you want to end up with her then you need to show that or risk losing her all together .

I was 26 when an old friend from middle school looked me up because she thought I might have turned out gay. But by the time she had looked me up I was already married to a man. I did inform my husband of my same sex attractions prior to marriage but I never had a same sex experience before. So when she came along and we started talking he encouraged us to explore those feelings. That didn't work out so well for him. The closer I got to her I realized what I was missing in my marriage. I discussed all of this with him as it was happening, but he still only saw it as a physical attraction. I wrongly played the fence. Still thinking I could fix my marriage while satisfying the physical intimacy requirement with her. She wouldn't go beyond kissing because I was married which left me sexually frustrated and I would end up back in his bed. Uggg ....was I stupid. He thought it was great because in his mind our sex life had improved. But by that point I was now cheating on her. Because our lines of communication were so open he gave us permission to take it further. She and i went on a weekend trip to Vegas and i made love to her for the first time. Afterwards when I told her I was going to leave him and get a divorce she freaked out and said she did not want to be the reason I broke up my marriage. On the ride home from Vegas on Sunday she was really quiet. By Monday she sent me an email saying she couldn't be apart of this any longer. I made several attempts to reason with her but she told me to go away and would not talk to me. I left my husband three weeks later but I did so alone. I never saw her again. That was 21 years ago. I did meet someone else and we have been together for the last 20 years and have a beautiful daughter together. So it did work out for me in the end. But don't risk losing that person because you waited too long. I already knew I was leaving him before my Vegas weekend. I should have just done it. You've been asking your GF to wait for 4 years. She's been patient but eventually it will run out.

#12 OutofZCloset, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  13. DancingGirl

I am not going to have sex with him. I plan on talking to him again tomorrow. Telling him that it is truly over. That I want a divorce. I cannot live with all the anxiety I am facing being married to a man. It is going to be really hard for me to survive financially, but I have to do it.

As for the gf, she went on a date last night. We have been involved for three years and the day I call a lawyer she goes on a date. Oh well. I moved on and let go of her once before. I guess I can do it again.

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2016 at 01:53 AM ----------

OutofZcloset. Sorry for the pain you went through with the one gf, but I am so happy to hear about your happy ending and daughter with your now person. It gives me hope :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2016 at 02:07 AM ----------

I want to say that until Dec. She was also in a relationship. I wanted us both to leave two years ago, but she wouldn't do it. I spent four months letting her go at the end of 2015. When it finally felt like I had, her gf of almost nine years broke up with her. I then began seeing her again. One day she texted me and I should have ignored her, but I love her and couldn't. One week proir to her text I had decided to leave my husband, but wanted to get some things set up and do it when our girls were away for spring break. She keeps telling me she doesn't want me to leave for her, but keeps saying she doesn't know how long she can wait.

14. DancingGirl

I am so emotional today that I feel this need to pour out all my feelings. I mean her and I have two trips planned this year. One is four days long. Four hours away. We already paid for it and everything. SHe said she wasn't going to take anyone else. What happens if she likes this girl from last night. SHe said one date is nothing compared to the history we have. What does that mean? THat she is just going to go. To give this other girl hope? WTF?

My mother in law called me last might too. Pleading with me not to divorce their son. THat I owe it to the girls to go to counseling with him and try to work this out. I was like I cannot work out my queer feelings. Plus I don't love him anymore. This is such a trainwreck.

I have been shaking all morning. IT is all too much to think about.

THank you to you all here giving my loving and helpful words. I am grateful for all of you.

15. CapColors

I'm so sorry honey. I send hugs!!

I don't think that your girlfriend will let you go after one date with another woman. She has been in your life for years.

#15 CapColors, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  16. DancingGirl

Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully I can get my shit together really soon and figure all this out.

17. latenlife lez

I am glad to say that I do not have the pressure of parents- his or mine interferring in what is happening.

My situation is similar- except my husband was pretty sure I was gay and not bi-it took me a little while longer to figure it out

Are you going to counseling by yourself- so that you have someone to talk to and help you as you navigate this journey? I would be lost without mine

That person would be good about helping you set boundaries- and recognizing and realizing why you do and don't- so you are more aware of your behavior. You cannot make your husband believe you. If he is in denial- then that is his problem. You can only control how you respond to it.

If you do not want to ever have sex with him again- then the next time he asks- say so. Let it be the same answer all the time. No mixed signals- no hope- no pretense.

For your in-laws- inform them that these desicions are between you and your husband- and you appreciate their concern- because (it sound like and I could be wrong) they do care- however they are hurting you and your husband by interferring they way they are.

I hope this helps- I keep hoping I will get my shit together as well- some days I do- most days I do not--- day by day- and sometimes hour by hour living.

Keep posting

18. DancingGirl

I have been in counseling for a over a year now. We have talked about the fact that I am gay, but she concentrates more on how our relationship just isn't working. That we aren't a fit no matter what. And she is correct on that. Our interests are really different and that isn't always a bad thing but it interferes with us being a family.

As for sex, we haven't had sex in three months because I finally said I wouldn't it. It had just become a part of our routine. Saturday night sex. Go in our room take off our clothes do it and then go watch tv. No real connection. no love. IT had been that way since I was pregnant with our first daughter ten years ago.

My inlaws stayed together for their kids. and they made it. Their life is good now and they love each more than they ever have. I am glad for them, but this isn't just getting over a slump. This is some thing totally different. I am gay. THere is no fixing that.

I plan to really be honest in a blunt way tomorrow. I am just going to sit him down and tell him. It is over and though it may hurt at first, I am doing this so he can find happiness too. That there will be no fixing us. He knew before he got involved with me that I had an interest in women. I had even tried dating a couple of times with no real luck.

I will keep the updates coming.

19. DancingGirl

Well she is going on another date with the same girl. Guess I need to move on....

20. latenlife lez

I am sorry SHE is going on another date.

That sucks!