1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Like something from a cheesy movie

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Apr 12, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had just missed my bus, and instead of standing around in the cold and the rain, I popped into a church, figuring I'd wait it out in there.

Just then I see LGBT pamphlets littering the shelves. I have been thinking about my spiritual path for a long time, maybe in the last ten years, but well before coming out I've been very disillusioned with religion. Partially because of its exclusive messages. And I considered some of the inclusive spaces I'd read about but never wandered in for a service. Even yesterday at the LGBT meetup I was tempted to speak with the visiting chaplain.

But this was just like something from a movie, coming in from the cold to stumble on this welcoming community. So I talked to the woman in the reception area and she sent me details about the LGBT worship group. I'm feeling warm and fuzzy about it. :slight_smile:

#1 baristajedi, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  2. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing baristajedi.

It's amazing how serendipitous the world can be when we are receptive to its gifts. Of course this requires that we are open and honest and no longer hiding our true selves.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's so true, all of what you say.

And I feel like this is something I really need right now. A community space where I can get in touch with my spiritual side, and calm my mind. It's funny, even the receptionist started talking about their inclusion of the lgbt community before I asked. I'm really looking forward to going to one of their meetings.

4. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Barista, would you mind sharing what church it is?

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes - it's a United Reform church. I've also found a similar one in my hometown a long time ago that is very inclusive, Unitarian. In addition, the Quaker church here is really inclusive and the Presbyterian church in my hometown is starting to become lgbt friendly.

This one, the United Reform is a Christian based church but with a very progressive set of values, inclusive community, and they welcome people with any religious views. The Unitarian church, I believe is non-denominational. It's aimed at monotheistic religious views, but inclusive of pretty much anyone who wants to come.

I'd be happy to share what I learn after attending a meeting. I may end up going to the Unitarian church while I'm visiting home (I'll be home for the next 2 weeks), and when I get back come to this one.

#5 baristajedi, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016