1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling stuck

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by dirtyshirt84, Apr 13, 2016.

1. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Today I'm feeling a bit down and feeling stuck, like I haven't made enough progress. I had hoped to come out to my friends that don't know, to my colleagues and also my crush by now (or at least to some of them). I'm not expecting anything to happen with my crush btw, we just talk about LGBT issues and gay relationships etc a lot and I feel like I am lying by omission. Although I'm still unsure how to word it without bringing my feelings for her into it.

I think I feel angry at myself as I have had a previous same sex relationship and hook up but I just don't think I ever came to terms with my sexuality properly at the time and now I am married to a man everyone assumes I'm straight, it is effectively like being back in the closet, if you like. It's like I am having to go through the whole process all over again (like wasn't it bad enough the first time!). I think I also feel angry and frustrated as I didn't have a religious upbringing (although it was perhaps quite conservative) have open minded liberal friends and live in a place where it's absolutely ok to be gay - so I don't understand why it has been so hard for me to accept.

I feel like ever since I realised my feelings for my crush there has been a fundamental change in me, like I have spent too many years running away from this and I don't want to do that anymore. I think for so long I have felt my same sex experiences were something to keep secret and be ashamed of. I don't want to never fully be myself and want to be happy with myself, including my sexuality. I think I NEED to be more open about it and be able to express my bisexuality in order to be happy.

I think the only progress I have really made so far is to be much more vocal about supporting LGBT issues, gender equality etc and also not feeling uncomfortable when people are talking about being gay/gay relationships.

I am feeling so many different emotions at the moment and wonder if recognising the attraction towards my crush has brought so many feelings to the surface that I've tried to bury? If that makes sense.

I have talked to my husband about most of this which has really helped and he is mostly understanding although worries I'll leave him for another woman.

So my story is maybe a little different to some but I'm wondering if anyone can relate and what good steps to move forward would be? Also what is the best way to tell people you are bisexual?

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I understand how you feel, there have been many times I've felt this way too. I think it's interesting to see your siggy, in light of this post, perhaps it will help you feel a bit better:

Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip toe if you must, but take the step.

I have some rhetorical questions that might help you think about how you want to move forward and how to gain that sense of purpose and motivation to do what you need to do:

- what is it that you ultimately want from this process?

- what do you want to get from coming out to your crush? Are you hoping she will reciprocate your feelings? Do you want to pursue her?

- Are you happy in a straight marriage (other than feeling like you are in the closet)? And what does it mean to feel in the closet - are you suppressing your feelings? suppressing your identity? feeling disconnected from the lgbt community?

Hugs (*hug*) This is just one day out of many, have some wine and a bit of ice cream, and tomorrow come back to it again and see what you can do to move forward.

3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dirtyshirt

I don't have an answer. But, I can relate. Although I have not been as out to my wife as you have to your husband, I really get how it would be good to express my bisexuality.

I, too, had a situation where I met a guy who fired up decades old emotions. It wasn't that I was suppressing them (far from it). It was more that it sort of didn't really matter if I expressed my bisexuality. Maybe you didn't bury your same sex desires...maybe you just didn't have anything that stimulated them. In my case, if I can't "do" that one guy, I am not really interested in anything outside of my marriage right now.

I didn't feel I needed to tell this guy about my attraction...it was pretty freakin obvious and mutual. So, I wonder if your crush might feel the same way. Maybe, instead of just blurting it out, there should be a bit more flirting? Fun to do anyway. If this is real, will your husband be cool with it? My wife knew about this guy and was, strangely, unconcerned.

4. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The frustration of holding back. Constantly monitoring spreech and sometimes behavior, totally not a recipe for happiness. As for moving forward, all my freinds I've told, I just blurted it out, or commended on how cute a girl was. There is a risk in being yourself, because that's not the you other people have known. People hate change, so they sometimes react badly even if they are liberal minded. It's not unreasonable for you to be nervous. Is there a time you feel that no matter what others reactions are you will be ok with it? I'm to that point, even if my family can't accept me I'm ok with it because I like who I am. Gotta go to work latter.

5. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in a very similar situation, except for the crush. Bisexual, in an opposite sex marriage, wanting to find the strength to come out to more people, even if the comfortably safe closet has a strong inertial pull.

I feel more ready every day.

There have been a couple of times where I had a bad day in general (work, bills, stuff breaking, LOL ) where I got close to saying, "screw it, this day can't get any worse, a I'm just going on FB and posting that I'm bi and be done with it all." But I didn't.

One small step I've taken is identifying as bi on a non-LGBT discussion forum I frequent. The non-eventful reception and full acceptance there has been nice. Just a small step.

I've thought about who among friends I'll come out to first. That could happen any time.

Two goals I've set for myself are attending the Pride Fest next month and hopefully being really out by Bi Pride Day in September.

Some days I think it's like swimming in a cool lake, best to just jump in. Most days I just toe the water.

6. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks barista! I was just a bit of a bad day I guess. I love the suggestion of wine and ice cream!

I know you said rhetorical but I think I'll try and answer these questions:

What I want to gain from the process is accepting my sexuality fully (think I have actually made quite a lot of progress on this), being out to all friends and ideally colleagues (small, gay friendly office and working environment so there is no reason not too) and as I said in response to your other post not filtering what I say, bringing up same sex attractions/hook ups/relationships in conversation if relevant.

What I hope to gain by coming out to my crush is a gay friend and maybe even an LGBT community (she has loads of gay friends and goes to a lot of gay friendly nights out etc). In fact she said I should go along to a night out with her and her gf and friends some time, but I really feel I would like to tell her I am bi first. I am no longer hoping she will reciprocate my feelings - she has made it pretty clear she is happy with her gf. I can't pretend I don't still find her attractive but I also feel like I have a friendship to lose now I have got to know her better? It's funny as I find myself telling her things I would never tell other colleagues or even some friends and opening up to her in a way I haven't with anyone in a long time, talking about really personal stuff. Im pretty certain she gets that I'm not straight, im just not sure how to say it?

Am I happy in a straight marriage? I'm not so sure it's that I'm not happy in a straight marriage, I'm just not sure if I'm happy in my marriage anymore. I am maybe suppressing my identity some but trying to change that. I think feeling this connection to someone else has really made me question my relationship and made me worry if I'm missing things.

Hey Nick! Actually I think you are right - I maybe wasn't suppressing my desires, I just hadn't met someone I felt so attracted to in a long time. Interesting I worked with another lesbian for years and never thought that way about her at all, and was never too concerned about not expressing my bisexuality, although would still have liked to have added to relevant conversations.

She definitely knows I like her - also freaking obvious! Haha. I've said in other posts I'm pretty sure she does find me attractive (I've seen her checking me out), and we do flirt but I think ultimately we are both in relationships and work together...so it is a really bad idea. I also really like her as a person and if anything happened between us it would ruin the friendship and make things super awkward (and not just for us but the whole office). I have actually realised it is a really bad idea. I'm also pretty certain if she had actually wanted something to happen she would have done something more about it.

I haven't told my husband I like her but I know he has figured it out and I know it has probably really hurt him. He hasn't actually asked me directly about it.

I think I'm also struggling with just so much being unsaid.

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2016 at 08:49 PM ----------

I relate to everything you say Adray, think I might also set myself some goals.

I know what you mean about posting on FB, it would be so easy and then everyone would know! I am tempted to do this. I imagine wearing a t-shirt that says 'bisexual' and making it my profile picture.

I'm the same...most days a toe in the water.

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2016 at 08:54 PM ----------

I feel like I'm getting closer to the point that I don't care about what anyone thinks, I feel like for too long worrying what others think has held me back. Kind of getting to that tipping point maybe where the lie is worse than the truth?

It's funny as I don't think a lot of people will be all that surprised. As I used to be in a relationship with a woman it's possible friends that do know have told others. So it's weird that I have friends and acquaintances who might know even though I've never told them myself.

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2016 at 08:57 PM ----------

I realised in my original post i said there has been a fundamental change in me, so that means no going back to how things were - only forward - whatever path that might mean. So hopefully my signature is correct :slight_smile:

7. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was trying to type fast, and I wasn't as articulate as I wanted to be. It's not that I don't care what others think, I do and am nervous about it. It's that I've come to accept myself, my sexuality, and I'm completely fine with it. When I realized I accepted myself, a deep steady inner peace came with that. I know I can face other people's judgement because I have conviction in who I am, and who I am is good and right. So the question rephrased is do you think you are close to accepting yourself, and how do you think such acceptance would affect coming out?

8. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Bunny. That's a good question. I think I am close to accepting myself although haven't found inner peace so maybe not quite there yet. Definitely not feeling calm at the moment. What made you realise you had accepted yourself? Did anything help with the process or do you think it just takes time? I suppose I want to feel happy and confident in who I am before telling more people.

Is your husband supportive and understanding of you being Bi? How does he feel about you being more open about it?

Its so helpful speaking to people in similar situations.

9. afgirl

We all have bad days. Hopefully, by the time I'm writing it, you're having a better one. I understand your frustration completely. I have felt similar, and I believe it was in part due to my upbringing. I understand coming from a conservative, yet nonreligious home. I've always had a great fear of disappointing my family, although I can't tell you exactly where it stems from.

Anyway, everyone has covered this issue beautifully, but I just want to tell you to keep your chin up and have a wonderful day. I truly hope today is a better day for you.

10. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a very similar story. I was married to a man up until I was 26. I had told my husband I was bisexual before we were married and he didn't see it as a problem. Most of my friends at work were lesbians which filled that part of my life to support the LGBT community although I never told them I was gay. Then along comes an old friend, Lori, who looked me up because she thought I would turn out gay. She came out to me as a lesbian and I told her I was bisexual. Over a relatively short time I developed feelings for her probably because of how intimate and personal our conversations became. I was very up front with my husband about all of this and he was very supportive and understanding. Because he did not understand the dynamics of a lesbian relationship he did not feel threatened by it. He mistakenly encouraged me to explore those feelings and fantasies with Lori.. Guys think it's simply about the physical attraction. But it's not. I think you're finding out what I did. The intimacy I felt with a woman far exceeded what I felt with a man. Which means the poor guy never had a chance. The problem is once you start down that road and realize the depths that a relationship can really go then you are standing there looking at your marriage and thinking to yourself....OMG I have been missing something huge and I never knew it. Since my husband encouraged it I felt allowed to explore the physical aspect. Lori and I started off just kissing which was an explosion I had never felt before. I informed my husband who still didn't perceive the threat standing before him. He encouraged it more. She and I made love and then I realized I was living a lie. The affair, even though condoned by my husband was too much for her to be apart of and she left as quickly as she entered my life. But my world was changed forever. I could not continue just living the straight life because now I new there was so much more. I left him three weeks later. Six months later I would go on to meet my future wife Ruth. We just celebrated our 20th anniversary together last month. We have a wonderful 14 year old daughter together. As you can tell I made a lot of mistakes in my coming out process. Things that I am not proud of to this day. But they did shape my life in a positive direction. I am greatly saddened by the loss of Lori's friendship and what I put her through and I will always carry that burden with me. But without that experience I may not have come out when I did. It might have taken me another 10 years of plodding along. Time would have been lost. I took a huge leap by leaving when I did. My family and friends thought it was too quick but I already knew there was no going back. Once you let Pandora out of the box you are eager to start your life. I did and I never looked back.

11. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out - it's good to hear a positive story in here. You clearly have regrets about the way you handled them but have gone on to find happiness. It's good to know it happens. Right now, being recently out I'm struggling with loneliness but trying get out and meet people. My world has turned upside down in the last month and I'm struggling to hold things together. I just have to have faith that things will get better as time goes on.

12. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks OutofZCloset, I can relate to so much of your story, I am so glad it has worked out for you and you found happiness. You sound like you were very brave!

What you say has given me a lot to think about.

I didn't really realise my feelings for my crush until it was already too late...I just didn't see it coming. I felt there was a kind of awkwardness between us and I couldn't work out what it was...and then I did. I haven't felt so attracted to someone in such a long time...I realised she is just the sort of girl I go for. And then as you say the intimate and personal conversations. I suppose a form of emotional cheating (for me at least...).

I don't think anything is going to happen psychically with her though and I really don't want to lose her friendship. I feel I have met her for a reason though - like maybe she is the catalyst for something else - and as you say I don't want to go back to plodding along.

I find the thought of breaking up my family terrifying and feel so guilty even thinking about doing that. But I hope ultimately I will do the right thing, whatever that is.

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2016 at 05:58 PM ----------

Thank you so much, afgirl. Today has been better! I felt like my emotions were all over the place yesterday.

13. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Accepting myself has probably come through from some hardship, and working on my general self esteem. First cutting off abuseive family, hopefully this isn't something you will ever have to do, but I did learn something very valuable from it. Living your life trying to please others, or even to just get along with them is impossible. I had to learn to be healthy selfish, and protect myself. This means my emotions and feelings too. Next my self esteem had been bottomed out at my job. It is demanding, and there is no support, or training from my boss, but endless criticism. I'm the only earner right now, and for several reasons finding a new job isn't an option right now. I started working on my self esteem, and the way I thought about interactions with others, just because I didn't think I would be able to get out of bed for much longer if I didn't. That led me directly to my sexuality. I've see on EC that self esteem and sexually are all bundled up for a lot of people here. It nice not be be alone in that. I think working on myself esteem in all aspects of my life is the biggest factor in my acceptance of my sexuality. I still have some work to go on general self esteem but it's coming together. I do little things everyday to be nice to myself, and am working on unhealthy thought patterns with CBT.

I told my husband I was bi in the first few months we were dating, he was the second person I came out to. While he's not directly unsupportive, there have been times when he could have considered my feelings before his own. I try to keep in mind that he can't 100% understand what I'm going through because he's never had the same feelings. Honestly I didn't ask him how he felt about me being more open about my sexuality. A few years ago my niece came out as transgender, I wanted to come out to her, and he was against it because she is from my in laws side of the family and thought if they found out it could be really ackward. (Not wrong about that.) I finally decided that it might be hard on a teen to keep a secret like that, and there was some chickening out. So when I decided that this is something I needed to feel good about myself I didn't ask him how he felt so much as announce I was doing it. He seems to be accepting of that which is good since I'm not willing to put aside what I need to be happy with myself and feel proud of myself. I'm changing a lot, and our relationship is changing too, I don't know what direction its changing in right now. This is also complicated by both of us having some medical issues.

I've been out to close friends since 1997, so I've had some time to process, I don't know if that makes a difference or not. It seems like you got hit pretty hard by a trigger recently, be nice to yourself dealing with change is hard work.

14. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dirtyshirt wrote

Dirtyshirt. I don't see this as cheating to form an emotional attachment. See, the thing is that some of that bonding that a straight person might form with a same sex friend can become deeper and trigger that deep down warmness (you know what I mean). It is a risk. A good one really, if you think about it...at least for me. We don't always need to act on it to appreciate how good it feels.

The tough thing is that as for some of us bisexuals there is always this empty place that our opposite sex partners never can truly fill. In my case, the good of what I have outweighs that deficit. But, I will admit that some days it doesn't always feel that way.

I am trying to open up to my opposite sex partner about this. But, I don't know if she can understand that it is not about her or how I feel about her. I cannot imagine crying on her shoulder for the loss that you feel...but, don't you wish you could with your husband?

15. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry that you had to cut yourself off from abusive family, that must have been very hard. I know what you mean about living your life to please others and trying to get on with everyone - its just not possible.

I think a big thing for me is letting go of shame. When I was in a relationship with a woman when I was younger my Mum was not accepting of it at all and quite nasty to me and my girlfriend. She made me feel ashamed of it and I felt like my relationship and same sex attraction was something I should keep secret. I realise now I should have been more honest with my Mum and stood up to her and I think she may have become more accepting over time. If she had been more accepting though it makes me wonder if my life would have turned out differently. I was just so young and still hadn't come to terms with it myself properly. One of my friends at the time also said she thought it was disgusting which didn't help. I should add my Dad was not like that at all and I am very close to my sister and she got on really well with my ex girlfriend and knows all about my crush now and has been there for me when I needed to talk.

I can totally relate to needing to be selfish in terms of protecting myself, especially in terms of emotions and feelings. I think I maybe need to make time to take better care of myself, make time to exercise and to write, I think that really helps. I tend to overthink things and over analyse and also need to get away from negative thought patterns.

Its good you are making progress with your self esteem, I probably need to do this too. I feel since I starting liking my crush I have taken a lot more care over my appearance, lost some weight and feel good about myself. I think for me it is also related to having had a baby a fairly recently and wanting to get my body back in shape and feel more like 'me' again and feel attractive.

Its good your husband seems accepting and that its something you are not willing to put aside. Hopefully your relationship can change for the better if you feel more happy within yourself.

---------- Post added 15th Apr 2016 at 09:10 AM ----------

I know what you mean Nick, it is nice to feel that connection with someone and in a way its nice to find someone so attractive. I think we both enjoy the flirty kind of friendship we have. I find sometimes though that I am telling her things I should really be telling my husband. I know that since I have started liking her it has caused me to become very emotionally distant with him.

I know what you mean about the empty place. I suggested my husband maybe reads about being married to someone bisexual and what that means, connect with other people in the same situation, I thought that might help him.

16. CapColors

One thing that I do that is absolutely critical to me is that I wear a bi bracelet. I wear it all the time; I never take it off.

It's a very small thing but it makes me feel less invisible. I makes me feel powerful, like I know I'm not hiding and that I'm being acknowledged by people who would care to look. I will add a rainbow bracelet during pride week to further call attention to it.

To me it's also a way of assuring myself that no one can legitimately claim that I'm deceiving them. I'm not pretending to be gay with gay people. I'm not pretending to be straight with straight people. I am bi ALL THE TIME. :slight_smile:

17. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is a great idea!

I am going to do the same, once I'm out here locally. Thank you for the inspiration!

18. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

BRAVE would not be the word I would choose to describe it. I was terrified and distraught. I also consider it emotional cheating but it sneaks up on you without you noticing because you are trying to figure yourself out. And then I had a husband who kept pushing me to explore those feelings. UGGG!!! The whole thing just got ugly. Not ugly in the sense of fighting or anger but of sadness and despair. Sometimes full disclosure doesn't really make a difference. People get hurt. The thought of breaking up with my best friend (husband) and leaving everything I had know was tormenting. I felt so GUILTY I can't even find words to express it. And then I had him begging me not to leave that we could work it out. He would cry and plead. It was a dark tunnel that I could see no end to. I left my house, my husband, my family was pissed and I moved out and started living with a friend. I was an outcast. The cheating wife who left her husband to go and be a lesbian. I couldn't even say the word LESBIAN at the time.

But life did get better. I feel for what you are going through. Trust me it is not an easy path. But I don't regret leaving. I have since talked with my ex husband about everything that happened and he says he also has no regrets and things did work out the way they were supposed to. I'll never know the hell that LORI went through and that is my biggest regret. The not knowing is painful. She has also since gone on and married and has her own family now with four children with her wife. Things do work out and you have to do what is best for yourself and your future. BUT that first step is murder. Good luck and stay strong.

19. bi2me

My son made me a rainbow/heart/Mommy bracelet that I wear every day. He doesn't know why I love rainbows, but he will as he gets older. I might put him up to making a bi pride one too :slight_smile:

20. CapColors

#20 CapColors, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016