1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real life later in life group

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Apr 15, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys- I'm really excited about something :slight_smile:. I reached out a few weeks ago to the local LGBT centre and have started making arrangements to create a coming out later in life support group :slight_smile:. Yesterday I had a meeting with a staff person there.

It takes time to work out all the details but we've got an event launch date! (It's not until June but that's ok).

On my way out of the meeting I met a woman who had also come out late in life and has now been out for 8 years. It was great talking to her and hearing her story. She seemed so comfortable in her identity and her choices. It was a great experience.

I can't wait to get the group started!

Just felt like sharing. :slight_smile:

#1 baristajedi, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That sounds really interesting. I'm actually in Edinburgh so would definitely come along to that.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really?? That's awesome!! I'll keep you updated. We don't have an exact date yet, so I'll let you know when that's set. :slight_smile:

4. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeh when I first posted I was paranoid about being found out so I put London as location. Edinburgh is home for me.

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool, this is great to know you're right here in the city. There are now 3 people plus me who seem interested in the meetup. The staff person is going to publicise it soon and hopefully we get some interest.

6. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good job on getting a group started! I wish there was a group like that here in my town. We have a LGBTQ Community Center, but looking at it's programs, they focus mainly on Youth Support, Trans Support, HIV programs, and organizing the annual Pride Fest and monthly movies/ events. All of which is great, for sure. Your group sounds closer to what I'd perhaps fit. I am planning on attending the Pride Fest this year, and the August educational session looks interesting. Perhaps one or both will lead to friendships. I've thought about popping in to their office some time to say hi and see what it's like, too....

Anyhow, great job, you did good.

7. 1Tiny0wl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice! I hope I can find something like that near me. I bet it will be a great resource for others in similar situations.

8. CapColors

Nice! I might start a group for mixed orientation marrieds someday. There doesn't seem to be much here and if it's not here it's not anywhere!

9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Adray, 1TinyOwl and Cap!

Adray, that's too bad that there aren't many LGBT services for adults at your centre. I wonder if there are some meetups near you for adult LGBT stuff? In my area, meetups aren't done that much. Enjoy the Pride fest! That's exciting. For some reason I'm intimidated by Pride. But I may do it this year too :slight_smile:.

1TinyOwl I have a feeling in NYC you'll find a group for you, whether this or something even more specific. When I lived in NY, it here seemed to be a group for *everything*, especially through meetup.

But if you guys can't find one, think about starting one! :slight_smile:

Cap, that is a great idea, I think you'd get a lot of interest. I haven't seen anything like that around here either.

#9 baristajedi, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016