1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like sh*t right now

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Apr 19, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my last posts has me thinking really negatively about everything, I realised after writing one of my responses just how much this situation sucks. No matter what I do, whether it's what I want and need or whether it's a sacrifice or compromise it either causes pain to people I love or causes me pain.

And I suppose that feeling is colouring my whole day. I'm feeling badly about everything, hearing my daughter cry on the phone because I'm far away, realising I disappointed my nephew today because I wasn't available to take him to the park when I said I would, feeling badly about things that aren't even happening now, just general parenting bs that I think I could have done better.

My life is a mess, I don't want to hurt my daughter or my husband or lose myself.

Im not asking for advice on what I should do, this is not a post saying "I don't know what to do", it's just a post saying I hate that I failed at an earlier age and got myself into the situation I'm in now. I hate that I have these decisions in front of me. I'm so sick of feeling like shit all the time.

2. nuggetbiscuit

If this is too early to fail, then it is early to give up now. It is never too late to turn things around.

I think I understand how things can be so f*cked up when you have to be mature and you have all the responsibilities. I don't know much about you but I hope you will figure things out and live the healhy and beautiful life you deserve.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I've already failed. I failed and fucked up everything honestly. I should have been myself at 10, 18, 21, 26. It's true that i didn't know that someday I would be 37 years old with a kid and a husband and saying why the f* did I not open this door earlier? I don't know exactly what i would have learned about who i am and what i need had I done this earlier, but i suppose I would have figured out more of the necessary things to have maybe created a life that fits me better. It's now a matter of how do I choose to dole out the pain.

4. nuggetbiscuit

I wish you had the chance to get to know yourself better earlier. But sometimes things just happen and it sucks. I empathize with your situation, or at least I try to. And I don't think it is your fault, you didn't choose to have such confusion an chaos in your life. You are trying your best and it messes you up. I am not capable enough to give you any advice 'cause I've never had this kind of a challenge. I can see how hard it is.

5. afgirl

You know, you are exactly who you are right now because of everything you did. If you would have done things differently would you have married? Had a child? Okay, would you have had the child you have now? Nope. Do you feel like you would have been better off?

Okay, let's say you had realized at age yada yada yada....and lived that life instead of the one you have now. Who is to say that you wouldn't have had regrets there? Very similar regrets (meaning you might have yearned for the kind of life you have now)? You could very well be contemplating doling out pain to different people for different reasons.

You can only assume how your life might have turned out had you done things differently. And you also can only assume that the other life would have made you happier.

Smile. You're ONLY 37. You have a long way to go.

Oops...did you say you didn't want advice???? Sorry. :frowning2:

6. Carpe noctem 16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Barista,

I'm definitely in the same boat with you. I recently accepted these feelings being married with a daughter. I never really had a good relationship with a woman until now. My wife is an awesome human being! BUT now i find myself wanting some sort of relationship with a guy. WTF!! Excuse my french. I hate myself for it. I too wish i could of accepted this years ago. I new that the attraction was there but i ignored it. I ignored it bc i had to be a "man!"

Now im just taking it day by day. I really dont know what to do!

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I couldn't have predicted the impact that my decisions at an earlier age would have on the future, but I still feel like I made some shitty choices to ignore my feelings until now. Thanks for your support.

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2016 at 05:45 PM ----------

I don't regret the way my decisions shaped who I am and I'm certainly happy to have my daughter. I don't even regret missed time anymore. I do regret that by virtue of not being true to myself earlier i have created such a mess right now.

Maybe you're right that another path would have led to different regrets, but I suppose i think that better earlier choices would have led to me knowing myself better and being true to me long before now.

I know I still have lots of time ahead of me, I just think that moving forward, no matter how I do so, means creating a shit situation for so many people.

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2016 at 05:49 PM ----------

(*hug*) Hugs to you. This is such an impossible situation.

#7 baristajedi, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  8. CapColors

I feel similar! I am a little happier in my marriage than you are I suppose?, but I've still made many of the same mistakes and have the same regrets.

I feel you sister

9. Morgana

For what it's worth, I'm 53. I just discovered (re-discovered actually) my own gender bendiness. If want the whole story, ready my intro thread in the Welcome Lounge area. It's not easy and I have a lot of regrets too. The one thing I'll say is having regrets doesn't mean you failed. It means you took some chances and didn't take others. I regret the 30+ years I wasted not exploring that side of me. I regret that I have so much to learn that I could have learned decades ago.

On the other hand, the world is more accepting of people like me now than it was 30 years ago, so maybe it's easier now than it would have been then.

We can always play what if games, but sometimes, "what is" is better than "what if."

Anyways, lots of warm thoughts your way, and best wishes for you.

Morgana

10. yuanzi

barista, I don't know about your full story (sorry I didn't read most of your previous posts) but I just want to say that in a family situation it is impossible to make all members happy and satisfied at all times. At some point you will have to hurt or disappoint somebody and I think that is totally fine.

I grew up in a household where everyone thought s/he had made the biggest sacrifice in order to keep the family together. Guess what, everyone was also constantly complaining about how their own dreams were never fulfilled b/c of their kids/spouses/etc. If I could choose, I would rather not have been born so that all my family could go pursue whatever they wanted. Not saying you should abandon your kids or family of course. But you have to treat yourself well too. Stay strong.

11. AlexLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Having a child and changing your life style is never easy. I have a young son and at 27 I feel like I'm old for transitioning. I asked myself many times if I was being selfish for doing this and making my son's life a little more difficult. I realized that if I wasn't happy, he wouldn't be either. Kids adapt easy no matter their age, they love their parents unconditionally even if they get mad at them for a long while (my mom hasn't been the best and has put me through shit that other people would tell me to give up on her, but I still love her). As long as you are there for your kids (kids?) and keep them in the loop, remind them that you love them no matter what and they can always come to you, even if you aren't always there physically, than you are doing the right thing. Keep moving forward, keep fighting, keep going, and always keep the connection between you and your kid open. You'll do fine than.

12. AlexLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Having a child and changing your life style is never easy. I have a young son and at 27 I feel like I'm old for transitioning. I asked myself many times if I was being selfish for doing this and making my son's life a little more difficult. I realized that if I wasn't happy, he wouldn't be either. Kids adapt easy no matter their age, they love their parents unconditionally even if they get mad at them for a long while (my mom hasn't been the best and has put me through shit that other people would tell me to give up on her, but I still love her). As long as you are there for your kids (kids?) and keep them in the loop, remind them that you love them no matter what and they can always come to you, even if you aren't always there physically, than you are doing the right thing. Keep moving forward, keep fighting, keep going, and always keep the connection between you and your kid open. You'll do fine than.

13. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kids are resilient. They will find their own way in life. Whether you are married or not is not the issue, as long as you show them love, that is what counts. You will have your ups and downs with your children regardless,

No one is being selfish for becoming their true self so long as you continue to show your kids love.

Kids should not be a reason for not becoming your true self.

#13 OnTheHighway, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  14. afgirl

Better that your child is younger, as any transition at this point will be seamless. It will just be the way it is. I'm dealing with an angry 15 year old and it sucks.

15. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trust me, I know how it is. I am dealing with very angry 17 and 19 year olds. Oy!

16. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*). Big hugs

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2016 at 02:59 AM ----------

Thank you for this. I do think "what is" is better in a lot of ways. I love my daughter, i love the experiences I've had in my life.

I think a bit of sleep helps in taking the edge off of these feelings.

Big hugs to you as well, it's very brave for you to be you at this stage of your life.

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2016 at 03:07 AM ----------

You're right of course that you can't make everyone happy all the time. I just want my daughter to feel stability and security. My parents got divorced and they were really kind to one another and supportive. But even in that time, i wound up feeling vulnerable and insecure, and that opened the door for some bad experiences. In my situation, I don't know if we can provide the same guarantees my parents did, my husband's job might pull him far away from us, and as it is, we have tw very different baselines for family, his being in one part of the world and mine in another. It's a very tricky situation.

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2016 at 03:11 AM ----------

I needed to hear this, thank you. I had a talk with my mom yesterday which I think added to my bad feelings. She talked about how traumatic separation might be for my daughter, and as a mom the last word you want to hear is traumatic. Of course that is a fear I have, she didn't make me feel that way, she just strengthened my fears.

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2016 at 03:14 AM ----------

You're right, you're absolutely right on all points. I'm not thinking of giving up on being my true self, but I am feeling a lot of unhappiness at the thought of causing my daughter pain in the process. It's part of the reason I want to try different paths, as you know from my other post, but in the end I know I have to do what's true for me.

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2016 at 03:17 AM ----------

Is that true? That's a part rhetorical part real question. I'm not sure if it's easier for kids to go through big changes at am earlier age. I know my daughter feels deeply scared by big changes and has a hard time with being apart form me or my husband, but she has less ability to process those feelings.

17. Forhim

I feel the same way, it would have made life a lot more easier for me I know for sure. :eusa_doh::eusa_doh: moment for sure! I wish I would have opened my door sooner also, but it is what it is.

18. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Someone once told me if you spend too much time looking backwards you get a sore neck.

19. CapColors

Your daughter will be fine if you and your husband show her love and show each other respect. I swear to you this is true.

20. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right, it is what it is (*hug*). We have to just keep looking and moving forward.

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2016 at 08:24 AM ----------

I like that, thanks Justasking, this is a good one to remember :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2016 at 08:25 AM ----------

Thanks Cap. I think I have to tell myself this over and over and over.

#20 baristajedi, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016