1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pure-O, OCD Anyone?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by ColoradoRyan, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ColoradoRyan

Hello Ecer's -

I wanted to write and check in to see if anyone has suffered from OCD that has gotten worse during the coming out process? More specifically the pure-O variety which resides directly in your mind.

It know about HOCD, and I don't think that applies to me, but it seems that my mind is so overwhelmed that I have these other intrusive thoughts about what I may become. They are all irrational, but while you are in the midst you feel like the thoughts are real. The thoughts also create tons of shame because you are like, this is not me and why is this going through my head? Its horrible.

Anyway, would love to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience and whether or not it got better over time.

Thank you!

2. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not very familiar with this, but I truly hope it gets better for you. Some here go to council in which may help sort things out through having an ear to listen, expertise and understanding what you may be going through and what to expect.
    Hugs

3. Law85

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have OCD. I would talk with a therapist and describe what you're feeling. It may be, it may not be (I hope it isn't, OCD really sucks!) but it's worth checking in to.

4. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes I get you. I have had intrusive thoughts also. They key is letting them float by and not attending to them. Being gay has no ramifications in terms of changing you into something youre worried about. Can you tell me more about the intrusive thoughts or is it too difficult? Chances are you fears are way bigger than the reality.

---------- Post added 28th Apr 2016 at 03:44 AM ----------

If you get into meditation you can watch all sorts of weird and wonderful thoughts that come to mind. We don't control our minds and what comes in and goes out. Your mind is detached from yourself. Most people also have weird thoughts that come and go but don't talk about them. It's how much importance you give them that makes the difference.

5. ColoradoRyan

Thank you all so very much for the responses. You make me feel better! I truly believe that much of this fear has its roots in the anxiety issues I have faced the past 4 years. It's been very difficult to say the least. Some days I have been ok and the anxiety is manageable, but other days it drives me into an abyss of worry. I think the hardest part is feeling good one day then not the next. It's like, wow I am getting better, but then my mind starts in and says not so fast. Let's worry about this or that. The fears are all irrational, but it seems my anxiety likes to go to the extremes. I just started on Zoloft, so perhaps that will help.

My anxiety is no doubt very tuned up because I am now living alone and do not have the normal distractions I had while at home. Speaking of home, it's like I get these feelings of just wanting to go home, but I don't know where that is anymore.

Another side of me thinks that much of this is being caused by the fact I am slowly coming to terms with being gay. It's a much harder process than I thought it would be. Perhaps I am just being impatient as I have only been on my own for 3 months. It's just hard because I thought I was moving in a good direction during the first couple months, but April proved to be a real challenge for me.

Thanks for listening all.