1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to help someone

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Michael, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't tell you about the details, 'cause the person involved deserves privacy. I hope I can count on you...

Well, I just found out someone is in a bad situation. I doubt physical violence is involved, but sure as hell there seem to be every kind of mental torture and abuse you can think of. This person is now in a very vulnerable situation at many levels, and besides of a handful of bystanders who can't act, I'm on it now.

First I tried to reassure this person that it wasn't X fault. I think that's crucial when it comes to talk to someone who will surely blame Xself for what happened.

Some of you know me as the hard boiled, devil-may-care guy. I don't fear anyone, but I tell you it's the first time I'm facing such a situation... Someone is trusting me with something so fucking sensitive I just feel overwhelmed, and NEED DESPERATELY to do my fucking best. I care DEEPLY about this person, to the point of saying, if the world should end I would run first to save X.

After reassuring and trying to get a better picture of the situation, I tried to test the waters and see if X was able to look for help on X own. X is scared, and for good reason. X has been victim of emotional and possibly physical abuse too. I can't neither confirm nor deny this, I have no way to talk to X face to face, and this kind of situation requires seeing the one who is trying to help.

I've packed a bunch of local resources, and think I can try to contact a professional about the matter tomorrow, good friend of mine. Still, I have no idea if my attempt will succeed, 'cause I haven't talked to this person for ages...

I tried to check out the legal possibilities, and in plain english... It's no fucking use on this situation, I can't do anything... If I had the chance to go right here and right now and see X, and kill Y (the one who did this damage), I fucking would. I would break all the fucking bones of X fucking face, not even X own mother would recognize X...

Tomorrow I have set up a phone call with X. Guys and girls, this one is for real. I don't deserve shit for my first world problems with therapy or gender. I do need your help this time, 'cause this time it fucking matters to someone who doesn't have half my strenght and life experience.

Any advice, warnings, ideas... ANY COMMENT is VERY appreciated.

Ok, thanks for reading this... I want this to end well, I really do, but I can't do much and it's driving me crazy now... :icon_sad:

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm having trouble understanding the situation. I'd be happy to give advice if I understood better, sorry. Is your friend in a violent relationship? In a violent home?

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you have a friend in trouble, your too far away to help, your doing everything in your power to try. Sounds like your being as good a friend as anyone can be under the circumstances.

5. CapColors

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Good job being a strong friend. The most important thing is to keep doing what you are doing.

If you suspect physical violence is involved you can always call the authorities, or have someone up there do it. But beware that if this is not how your friend wants it handled, you can't go back from something like that.

There are also text-based services that might be of use to an abuse victim who cannot speak to people or go anywhere without alerting the abuser.

#5 CapColors, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

#6 Michael, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2016