1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Divorced

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Grace66, May 2, 2016.

1. Grace66

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haven't been around too much in the last few weeks, there has been a lot going on.

However, tomorrow morning I will officially be divorced. After being married for 12 years and having one child I will be leaving behind my heteronormative life and embarking on a new adventure. I. Am. Scared. To. Death.

I know that this is the right thing. But it is still damn scary.

2. Really

Good for you!

Do you have anything planned for the day? Some activity with someone? A meal at a nice restaurant or something so you can inject some happy times into a potentially emotional day?

Or maybe go to a fancy bakery and get yourself a slice of some decadent cake to celebrate the start of your adventure.

Don't be scared. I believe this is when the good stuff starts.

3. DancingGirl

Embrace this new chapter in your life. It is scary but think of the blank pages in front of you. This is where you write your story. Start fresh.
    I agree with Really, do something for yourself. Celebrate your new life. Do something fun or indulge in something delicious.
    Keep us posted on your new life. I am just starting the process of my divorce, but I cannot wait to begin new.
    Good luck.

4. Birdie145

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi, I left my husband, it has been bumpy but I know it was the right thing to do. I have got through by living by the moto of " one day at a time", looking ahead was too much for me. When my divorce came through I didn't want to tell anyone, I was quiet with it.

I changed my name just days before the divorce came through, changing my name helped, I felt so much better not being Mrs.

I didn't want a fuss so I had a quiet treat out. Do what feels right. It surprised me to feel grief especially as I had ended it. It's a big change so its bound to feel scary. Post how you're doing. Hug.

5. CapColors

I agree with these other posters, commemorate your pain, mark it. But treat yourself right.

6. afgirl

I agree with the grief post. I was the one who ended my marriage, and yet it still seemed to involve quite a bit of time to work through the grief. The problem I had was not recognizing that it was a process. It definitely takes time. Focus on yourself and your needs right now.

7. Chicagoblue

Best of luck.

8. Morgana

I'd like to toss in my vote for commemorating the day somehow. How is up to you, but it should be memorable. We leave ourselves behind in so many ways that I think it's important to remember those moments in our lives that define us, or change our definitions of ourselves. Life is growth and change, but rembering defining moments can be a good thing.

It's ok to be scared :slight_smile: I was terrified the first time I ever presented as female to anyone but my reflection. But the first thing someone said to me was, "Oh my god, I love those shoes!" And suddenly it was better. I hope your experiences are good!

Morgana