1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you find patience?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, May 3, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've finally embraced the idea of action over reflection. I want to move forward, I feel I'm finally ready to do so many things I wasn't ready for before. I don't want to sit around thinking, reflecting.

But I feel like I have to pause and put everything on hold for at least a couple of weeks, and it's driving me a little nuts. It's just logistical stuff at this point - my husband had to go out of town, and my daughter and I are going to meet him for a holiday for several days before coming home, and then I think things can go back to forward progress.

The stuff I want to do

- establish some expectations with my husband about what we're doing right now.
    (I suppose we can hash this out over email, I just feel like I want a back and forth conversation, bouncing things off of each other, talking, listening)

- go out to meet women, go out with women
    (I'm partially waiting for the conversations with my husband, but also obviously this can't happen until someone can be with my daughter so I can get out of the house)

- go to meet ups
    (There's nothing happening that I can get out to until my husband's back)

- go out with a friend to check out the gay bar scene here
    (Need to wait until someone can be with my daughter)

I suppose the reason it's frustrating me is that I'm really not wanting to lose this courage and motivation that I finally have.

What can I do in the meantime? How can I find patience?

The best I've been able to do is live vicariously through gay couples on tv, seriously I'm desperate to feel like I'm not just sitting still, so watching Mikey come out to his family on Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt was my best source of satisfaction in the last couple days, lol.

#1 baristajedi, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have a plan. That's really good. You have lots of good things going on.

There are a lot of things you are having to wait for. Those are real. But, maybe there are also real things you don'lt have to wait for but just haven'lt noticed yet. Our brains are good at finding what we are looking for. One of my coping skill games I play when I'm anxious is noticing colors. I never think there is orange around until I look for it, then suddenly it pops out at me from everywhere. Maybe, try making it a game. When you think of something you can't do, challenge yourself (like, a game) to think of something you don't have to wait for, that you can do right away. See if you can make the Not Waits beat the Waits. (Have I mentioned before that I make games out of everything?) Maybe that will help a little? If not, you aren'lt any worse off than you started.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Put things on hold? Why? Are you at it again finding a reason not to progress?

You can go about your regular life, as you articulated, but you are doing so with the wrong mindset. There is nothing you should be putting on hold.

While your husband is away, you can keep progressing on meet ups and looking to meet others. When you are on Holliday with him, you can find quite time over a bottle of wine to talk with him.

So there is not reasoning why you can not actually progresses. So if that's the case, your possibly asking yourself the wrong question, as your not looking for patience. What you should be asking is why do U feel U want to take a break?

4. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is helpful, I think maybe 2 things come to mind, I can still chat online with women, and find opportunities to flirt with women.

Perhaps I can write out some stuff for my husband that I want to talk about too.

I like the idea of making a game out of it. ...maybe there are more things o can think kid when I look at it that way.

---------- Post added 4th May 2016 at 03:48 AM ----------

Nope, dude, my post says the opposite of what you're saying :slight_smile:. I'm frustrated that I have limitations for a week or two because I just want to be out there doing things now that I'm in a good mindset to do them (happy, eager, enjoying being myself). I know it's hard to view me as having confidence in this area but I do.

Im a mom of a 3 year old in a city where i have no family. It's as simple as that. If I were on my own with my daughter for longer, I'd make opportunities to get out, but it's just short enough that that is not really necessary/feasible but just long enough to frustrate me a bit.

I like your idea of talking with my husband on holiday and I've been thinking the same.

Unfortunately meetups are only scheduled this week when I have my daughter at home with me.

My mindset is cool, I don't want a break, I think you are just used to reading posts from me where I'm in a really bad place. That's not where I am right now.

Sometimes limitations exist, they just do, and we can either accept them or change them. I'm trying to accept them because it's really short term. I was trying to figure out whether there are things other than what's on my list that I'm overlooking. I just don't feel like sitting around until we get back to our normal routine when I can get out more. But I suppose I can accept it if I have to.

5. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I can relate to the patience thing. I want to get out and meet guys and get comfortable with being gay, but am holding back a little. I guess it's a fear thing, my brain still telling me I'm not gay - when my fantasies are now exclusively about men. Having had the OCD diagnosis in the past I feel that holds me back. I do have some OCD tendencies with intrusive thoughts but I can't believe an illness can make me coo over jake gylenthall at the cinema or give me fantasies. It's still internalised homophobia that holds me back I think. Thinking it makes me less of a man or inferior to straight people I guess. I'm hoping gay pride in gran canaria will sort that out.

---------- Post added 4th May 2016 at 04:17 AM ----------

A lot of the stories you read on web are of people consciously aware of sexuality as teenagers, I didn't have that, but I look back and think I subconsciously knew something. I all at wish it had occurred to me so that I could are dealt with it sooner, but then I also read of people who were bullied for being gay at a young age so I have escaped that I guess, I just have the years of denial to overcome. Baby steps

6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can certainly understand all of these feelings, I've certainly moved slowly at some points because of similar feelings. You're doing great by the way, based on your posts.

At this point though, I'm not holding back on my progress out of fear, I'm just limited briefly because I'm home alone with my kiddo for now and not able to get out very much until I'm back to the normal routine. I'm actually in a point where I'm super motivated to do things but have some logistical limitations. It's just frustrating at this point.

7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, then your not taking a break! Don't look at it that way; don't even consider that. Your going about life and progressing at the same time. Even in your quiet contemplation your progressing. No one said the journey is a straight line!

8. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure what meet ups are but is it possible to bring your daughter with you? Unless you're talking about a sex hook up I guess. Then no that would not be a good idea. :slight_smile: But if you're meeting with a group of people what's the big deal if you bring your kid. It might be like bringing along a puppy to the park. If you are meeting up with just one person ask them if they'd mind if you brought your 3 year old. I love kids and wouldn't mind if someone brought their kid along on a date. I know it sounds weird but it would show me another side of that person that is probably more real. So I guess it would all depend upon your reason for the meeting. Sex while having a kid around not good. But getting to know someone with their kid around...I don't think it would get any better than that.

9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess you're right, I suppose I just need to change my perspective. I just feel like I was starting to have a little fun and now I'm slowing down a little that's all.

And the journey is definitely not a straight line. :wink: (I couldn't resist the pun, haha)

---------- Post added 4th May 2016 at 06:46 AM ----------

Meetups are group get togethers, and in my case specifically, arranged by LGBT groups. They're casual but it's not usually expected that it's cool to bring kids. Some meetings specify that they are kid-friendly, but usually it's expected you don't bring along your kids. Anyway, they're all scheduled around the time I'd need to get her into bed, so it wouldn't work anyway.

It's ok. I think I might just simply go to the area in town more known to be a gay community and hang out in the cafes around there. Better than nothing.

---------- Post added 4th May 2016 at 06:49 AM ----------

I'm kind of bummed actually because I think with my new work schedule I may have less opportunity to go to the meetups. But I'm wondering if it just means I have to push harder to find LGBT social stuff. I'm motivated for that at this point, so that's ok. I did find a new social group by chance just before I left for my trip home, so that's something I will be keeping in mind for future meetups.

#9 baristajedi, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  10. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, minor tangent, I'm pretty jealous that yall are finding these meet ups / social events to hang or at. How are you locating them?

Online I found a couple things that were far away and looked weird, like one for, bi, bicurious, and closeted lesbians. Wtf? I don't want to go to the closet club. That's where I live already. I'd rather be closeted with my cats than closeted with strangers.

11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it depends on where you live. I'm lucky where I live to have a great LGBT centre that hosts social groups, and there's also a group in my city through meetup.

Do you have an LGBT centre nearby? A university LGBT centre? Hsve you looked through meetup? You can even start your own group! I'm in the process of doing that right now.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with delay, as long as it is a strategic and planned-for delay.

13. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hahahaha! That does sound weird! I wonder what happens at closet club...

14. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, while I was away and starting to feel so much more open, I knew that these two weeks would feel a little like sitting on my hands, but I also knew that it would only be two weeks, so I'm trying to think of it that way.

To be ready for this I pushed myself the last few days at home to make sure I got out as much as possible, even though it meant packing a lot into just a short time. I didn't want to give up on my family time but I also certainly didn't want to give up on my time out being me.

---------- Post added 4th May 2016 at 01:30 PM ----------

:slight_smile: haha

I was actually wondering if it might still be a good group to join, may even be s little like the later in life group here, because maybe those closeted lesbians are really hoping to get the courage to get out of the closet...

15. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, I kind of expect that the closeted lesbians drink a lot of whine and then have a secret sex party, lol.

16. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um, so then...sign me up. :wink: :lol:

17. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOLOL I love the image of closeted lesbians getting together to drink whine. That's perfect!

But to the OP question...I've said it before, but you've asked again. I find meditation hands-down the best way to build patience.

18. afgirl

I was a single mom to young children for many, many years in various places where I had no family. I completely understand that. Kudos to you for putting your daughter first. Trust me, that's not a given for a lot of people.

I was never really into the bar scene, but you know, just to get out sometimes. Go on a date...whatever. Do you journal? I have the distinct feeling that if you don't write in your spare time, you should. You have a way with words that might prove to be a great outlet for you.

19. CameronMR

I'd totally be your wing man if i could! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.
    Here, there's a coffee every Saturday afternoon at the popular coffee shop in town. Sometimes i bring my son, sometimes i don't. We drink coffee, and play card games. If there's no kids we'll play something like cards against humanity, but a "clean" game if there's kids. Maybe look for something like that?

20. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha. Doesn't sound so bad after all! :icon_wink