1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic skill not learned when young - maybe.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, May 5, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At this time this thread applies to those people who lacked the ability to "reflect" on their sexuality when young, albeit for what ever the reason(s). Now, lack ability to reflect may be due to shame or this critical life skill was never taught to begin with, which is possible.

My question/reflection, applying to shame taught behavior only. Theory. Shame closed down your ability to reflect on your sexuality. Do you think this same "closed down" behavior prevented you from reflecting on other things in your life?

Editorial: Being able to reflect on "matters" is a critical life skill. Being able to reflect is essential to survival. If society is shaming others for their sexuality while at the same time preventing said others from acquiring essential skills, well this raises the bar a bit. If my theory has substance, not only are others impeding your sexuality, they are damaging you in ways I've not seen addressed to date. (few) Think of it this way, people are going around cutting off your right arm because they are guy.

2. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ehhh, define "reflect." I say that because I don't recall many straights growing up who thought about their sexuality too deeply. Except for those who were taught that any sex is wrong; they did a bit of soul-searching at times.

3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    +1

I don't understand what this means either, so it would be helpful to clarify.

Shame, being in the closet or in denial certainly does have implications. I've posted the following thoughts in various forms previously. Is this what you are getting at?

#3 SiennaFire, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  4. CameOutSwinging

I *think* I get it? What the OP reminded me of, something I question often, is how when I was a teenager I would very much fantasize about sex with men and always think about guys, and almost only guys, sexually. Yet I never made that connection to think that it meant I was gay and should date men. I was 20 before I started to connect those dots, and I went back on it pretty quickly.

5. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    SF's response was one of the most enlightening posts I have read here.

I have always wondered about my ability to mask my emotions when needed. And, frankly, lie convincingly when needed. I think I learned very early on to keep emotions I did not want displayed buried deep as a result of my early recognition of my sexuality and my fear that others would learn of them. I have used this in my work often. I have also been able to mask my emotions in emergency situations. People are consistently amazed how little emotion I show..while I am completely wound up inside.

So, maybe this is not a lack of skills? Can being in the closet provide other skill sets?

Where I differ, personally, is in the arena of self reflection. I would disagree with the premise that being gay, or bi, would make one less able to exercise self reflection. I suppose a well developed sense of denial could be indicative of that. But, I would have to say that for me, and others, this questioning of something so fundamental as sexual attraction would nurture self reflection in all aspects of one's life. It certainly did for me.

I wonder if it is more a function of one's basic personality than sexual orientation? Referring to one's ability to "self reflect"?

6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is so much my story, down to the age of connecting the dots and everything, only replace "men" with "women". It's really interesting how denial works.

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes thats it. Connecting the dots.

Hopefully my post is not a ~"I didn't have a role model" type of post. This is not my intent.

I'm a little more clear on what I am stating in this post. During the process of making a gay kid straight, did other skills not get taught/learned? During that critical time when you are discovering who you are, right next to it, are there other skills you need to lean to help you cope with life?

I think (my theory) the answer is yes. Yes there are other skills you need to learn, generally in your teen years. And there is the whole "dependency" process going on inside your brain.

---------- Post added 6th May 2016 at 06:15 AM ----------

Ah this is it, but not reflection but joy emotion(s) instead - lets cut off the left arm. During the process of being shamed for your sexuality the process of learning joy is hindered. Plain and simple.

So, maybe this is not a lack of skills? Can being in the closet provide other skill sets?

I don't think being gay means you have a certain set of predefined inabilities. No thats not it at all. I think (theorize) that during the shame process, your hands are tied behind your back because you don't learn other critical skills.

Slight change in subject: I loved your post for it has shown me that there is another person in this world that has similar response to emotion than me. Your statement, "how little emotion I show" is me. I've been asking myself why don't I show more emotion (love) towards others. I'm like a null person when others are laughing and happy.

Well getting back to the post. Well I/we did not learn to show emotions and/or to suppress emotions - basically cutting off an arm.

Got to run. More later. Thanks everyone for a lively debate. I love it....hey thats showing emotion....change is in the air.

8. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I look back and wonder how much different things would've been if I could've accepted things about my sexuality at a younger age. I feel sometimes emotionally stunted, and just this feeling like I *know* what I should feel, but I just don't.
    Depersonalization has been a constant in my life and I feel like shutting myself down to just about everything became a tool necessesary for survival growing up.
    Self reflection actually doesn't seem to be much of a problem at this point, but it sure as hell was for a long time. I guess one of those "can't see the forest for the trees" kind of things.

9. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was the opposite. I did not know I was different (and maybe I am not so much if you believe the new stats on bisexuality). I was very stunted in my knowledge of sex growing up as a VERY catholic kid. Sexual fantasy did not exist because I was taught not to have "evil thoughts". I had strong attractions to both males and females but did not understand it as sexual desires and I did not understand that not everyone felt this way, or how I should feel, until I was older. I did not have a single friend until I was in puberty. My first friend, ever, was gay (it turns out). Neither one of us understood we were different. We "broke up" over a girl I fell for...still didn't get it!

By the time I figured it out there was nothing to question...the ship had sort of sailed. My issue was how to live as a "pervert" not that I denied being one. So, I can hide it...well.

But, I don't feel emotionally stunted at all. I just know how to keep it inside when I feel like it.

This is so fascinating to learn how others grew, and grow, sexually.

10. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm finally at a point where I'm starting to think my understanding of my sexuality is happening exactly the way it's supposed to. Like this *is* the right time for me to embrace being queer. That is s sharp difference from my feelings not that long ago; I felt that I had wasted so much of my life. But now I don't think that's true.

An analogy- I was always a misfit, rarely had friends; I started making real friendships finally around 16, and you know what, that's the way my life was supposed to go, I am shaped by that experience of being friendless much of my childhood.

Another analogy- I went back to school late, and as a result the experience of education was extremely rewarding.

So can this be. Who cares anymore whether I never slept with s woman, had a romantic or intimate or meaningful relationship with a woman. I still have time to sleep with or build a relationship with whomever I want.

#10 baristajedi, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  11. CameOutSwinging

It's weird because I feel like in ways I couldn't have been more open as a teenager even if I had realized that I should be. Nobody was openly gay at my high school. Nobody. And my father, who regularly verbally abused me saying that I better not be gay, would have very possibly been much worse towards me. I grew up with plenty of gay role models in a way, since my aunts (a lesbian couple) raised me in many ways, and allot their friends are gay. But it was also sort of unspoken that they were gay. Like, you knew it logically, but not specifically. I've still only seen my aunts hold hands maybe once, and never kiss. I wouldn't go as far as to call that a form of learned homophobia, but it was definitely something that sort of suggested what they were doing in private was not okay. If that makes sense. Like it was this secret thing that had to stay secret.

Still, I regret not just being honest. I often think of this one time in high school where we had a substitute teacher and this sat around talking, and the conversation happened to be very much about sex. One girl asked flat out "but why do guys like when girls tell them that they're wet?" In an alternate reality, I answered that by saying "I have no idea, it does nothing for me, but if that guy told me he was hard...gurrrrrrrrl!" But that's not how it went in this reality.

12. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes thats it - "depersonalization". Lets call these "secondary" effects. This is what I mean by cutting off your arm.

"Forest through the trees", yes, precisely. Its my theory that "reflection", this critical skill, is not limited to sexuality alone. And once "an entity" shuts this process down, this lack of skill gets applied to other areas of life.

If any of this theory is correct, this is amazing. If true, not only is "society" harming you for your innate sexuality, society is demeaning your life overall. A person runs the risk of not living a rich full productive happy life. A little vent here: all because society, mainly driven by religion, does not like a persons sexuality.

13. afgirl

I think perhaps I get it.

I knew absolutely no openly gay people growing up, so it was completely foreign to me. Then I joined the military, where being gay was a prosecutable offense. I always did what I was supposed to do and didn't give it a second thought. Over the past year, I've reflected on a lot of things, such as why my relationships didn't work out? Why would I be in a relationship and all of a sudden all feelings were gone and being intimate felt like a chore that was to be endured? Why did I always feel a lack of closeness to a man? (Sort of like being on stage, when the real me was backstage, in rehersal, or whatever, if that makes any sense). Not being in a committed relationship with anyone for over ten years....yes, I'm sure people wondered about me. There always seemed to be something wrong with the ones wanting a relationship with me, or I would find myself with men who conveniently weren't willing to commit, and that was perfectly fine with me. Checking out women seemed normal because the female body is beautiful...so that didn't make me gay, right? And probably, finally, the idea that I talked about it so much, thought about it so much.

I think what it took for me was actually getting to know openly gay women. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true. I really don't think I'm defective in any way because of this, but I go back and things make sense now. Even so, it took a long time to figure this out.

14. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I may ask, what does the word use, pervert mean?

I've seen the word pervert used generally a lot. And it gets used to reinforce "judge and condemn" often.

---------- Post added 7th May 2016 at 07:11 AM ----------

I do like that. Honesty. And is this sort of a "secondary" feeling, since this thread has turned a bit away from the original post?

Is the feeling of not being honest a "secondary" element - basically another arm cut off.

---------- Post added 7th May 2016 at 07:18 AM ----------

So basically my take on this (I could be wrong) afgirl lived a, "this is what I'm supposed to do life" rather than a "this is who I am so I'm going to live life fully per who I am." (few)

My thoughts. So via sexual shame, society", changed your life in many other ways. And this is kind of a secondary reaction to shame.

15. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not relating to the use of reflection, so I made a substitution where reflection is connecting the dots.

In reading this "closed down" behavior seems to be denial, although I'm not sure the value of introducing a new term for denial. Do I think denial prevented me from connecting the dots on other things in my life? Not directly. I would have probably made different life choices had I connected the dots on being gay earlier. For example, I might chosen a career in fashion if I knew I were gay earlier. My thoughts in post #3 are still relevant regarding the indirect effects.

What do you see as the implications of this insight/theory? I think a really powerful way to connect the dots is to go out and be gay.

#15 SiennaFire, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  16. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I grew up Catholic in the 60s and 70s. When I finally learned what homosexuality was...it was described to me as a perversion. So, being bi, I considered myself a pervert as a 20 ish guy.

Not, of course, how I view it now. Actually, I did not believe it for very long...couple months really, before I decided to ignore a lot of moral definitions.

17. afgirl

Yes, this is how I'm supposed to do life. Nice way of putting it. I truly never thought otherwise. Actually resolved that I was not going to find someone. Also, I have felt as thought I was a huge disappointment to my mother over the years. Her idea of success is marrying a man who will take care of you. I have never had that inclination, although I did try marriage to the best of my ability.

I was actually pretty much on a date with my current gf, but didn't realize it, if that makes any sense. I had developed a crush on her, which I figured was some crazy fluke because.....she's a girl. When we were out and she leaned in for a kiss, I remember thinking 'This is really happening!' and knowing I had to go for it.

Things have slowly come into focus for me. My life has gotten very complicated in some ways, and simplified in others. I have a relationship that doesn't feel rehersed, or that I'm playing a part. Things that I previously thought were normal, I now know are not. I don't know where this is going, and there is a lot of growing that I need to do, but for the absolute first time, I feel both comfort and passion, and a sense of 'This is how it's supposed to be!'

Again, if any of that makes any sense.

18. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think what you said makes perfect sense. I know in my relationship with ex, I always kinda felt like playing a part. Writing a card or something for holidays or whatever, I could write the most sentimental things, and tho they sounded great, I don't think I ever truly felt the weight of those words. I just knew it was how I should feel I guess.

19. ThreeBears3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Do you mean like not being very self aware? Such that you basically can't see the way you're feeling and acting about all of that so a shame response is triggered so that you can just not deal with it? Cause I kinda had that yea. Grew out of it but yea, I don't think that's abnormal at all. But very ok this is what's correct do this don't go with your gut or worry about it or anything... I think so so much of that is perspective and experience to look back on that give us the ability to really feel out our lives vs just walk day to day doing what we feel is required of us. Life is so weird.
    I should add when people tell you girls aren't supposed to like girls but every time you see anything anywhere where any two girls are in a relationship it's the best and you just fan girl like a spaz and then you have instant oh I'm not supposed to like this it's bad no one else is acting like they want those characters to kiss... Well I must be messed up and no one explains gay until you're like 14 and even then no one is and anything even remotely is seen in such a negative light... How on earth are we expected to find peace with who we are... These days people are slightly less Freaked by things but anyone remember when everyone stopped watching ellen right when it got good... Yea... It doesn't do anyone any good to be told only what is expected of them such that it's not safe to ask questions and be open and honest about what you think and feel. That causes what you're talking about. It's almost like we are let to an extent to be nieve and it's about relationships on general too like what do we do or say and growing up there's a lot of 'no touching' 'behave' and not a lot of 'talk to each other' 'what do you think' the parent child relationship can be a source of learning how to interact later in life and often parents respond with a let me tell you what to do to suit my needs instead of what will help you in the future... Weird weird stuff

20. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah I found the magic bullet. Wonderful how these forums and posts work. The wonderful interaction and ideas gets brain cells firing. (Long walks help too.)

After "reflecting" on my theory presented in this post, comments by others, I came up with one word. "Repressive". All of this is very repressive. Quick walk back to the coffee shop, grab a latte, internet search the word "repressive". (The internet is wonderful but if you cant think of good search words, well your not going far. )

I invite each one of you to read material from the following sights:

Health - New Studies Report Health Dangers Of Repressing Emotional Turmoil - NYTimes.com

and,

Repression

I, you, us, cant/couldn't reflect because we are/were repressing "something". I learned from material via the links above, the "second you" (which I've known about for some time) wields much control over you. You cant communicate directly with this second you which is embedded in your subconscious. Wouldn't do any good if you could. It's hard wired. Hard wiring, it's what makes birds fly north in spring. It's what makes monkeys groom each other, it's all hard wired. Hard wiring is what makes you, you. This is your innate you.

Just before reaching the coffee shop, tripping over my feet in excitement, neurons flashing in my brain, this innate me, via hard wiring, initiated my first same sex advance when I was 13. Then again when 14. Then again and again. Very much like breathing, my subconscious needed / craved a partner. In my early teens, the start of puberty, I was fulfilling my biological hard wired program.

Then late 15, I was sent to a "special school". the "special school" taught me hate towards gays. Homosexuals, were faggots. Scum. The school taught me shame. A year after I got out of the "special school" I was unable to reflect. The conscious part of me, bestowed upon me my society (via the "special school") I was unable to reconcile the subconscious part of me. The hard wired part of me.

Few is all this right? I think so. A few mistakes.

REPRESSION!

#20 brainwashed, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016