1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holding my head up higher.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, May 5, 2016.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Literally. Maybe I just got tired of having my head down staring at my phone (a recent phenomenon) or at the floor (which I've done for ages). But today, for whatever reason, even right now, I've had my chin up and my head held high. I'm really not out of the closet, especially compared to many others on EC, and my struggles with loneliness and shame are all over this message board. But I'll call this a win: today, I have held my head high. Maybe, just maybe, I'm starting to like myself. :slight_smile:

2. Teach1

Teach1 Guest

Crazydog,

Your story gives me courage. So glad that you are finding happiness. Best of luck on your journey.

3. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every day is a battle and it sounds like you definitely won this one. Great job! Celebrate the victory!

4. MOGUY

Good for you! Wish we could all give you a hug.

5. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This made me chuckle. I'm a swimmer, and we swimmers tend to walk with our shoulders hunched, looking down at the ground, just as we look at the lines at the bottom of the pool. A physiotherapist I was seeing (for something else) mentioned it to me, and since then I've made an effort to walk standing upright with my eyes looking directly forward. Having tried it, I now think that adjusting one's posture can have a positive effect on one's attitude as well.

6. gryf

Take the win. :slight_smile: glad it's helping

7. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is what I was going to say. Make an effort to walk confidently, head up, steady pace and a smile on your face and it will make you feel so much better.
    I spent years walking around, looking down, trying not to be noticed and I never thought it would work until I tried it.

If you can feel good about yourself one day, then you can do it every day. You just have to focus on what went right and build on it. :icon_bigg