1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lgbt pride

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, May 6, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are some of the things you do to pump up your feelings of pride in your LGBT identity?

Some of the things that get me pumped with confidence are:

- music (thanks to some of your suggestions :slight_smile:) I have a playlist called "party" with a lot of LGBT music and LGBT artists. I started doing a playlist called "queer" but decided on the mix of happy dance songs plus queer music instead for ultimate fun :slight_smile:

- dress - I've got a sort of tomboy style and when I feel most like embracing my queer identity, I wear the stuff that looks most like what might make someone think "she's probably gay". It doesn't matter if I'm playing into a stereotype, it's my style that i like and I'm queer, so win win.

- books, film, articles, etc - I like to inundate myself with LGBT representations and issues every once in a while to get myself in a proud mindset.

- soon, not just yet, I think I'll start exercising and eating better again. This is not directly about my queer identity, but it adds a dimension of confidence and comfort with my body. (I've been awful in this area lately!)

- staying social, keep myself involved in the LGBT community as much as I can.

What about you guys?

2. Butterfly2016

I listen to music, watch past Pride events on YT (parades, etc), and when I'm alone I wear my rainbow jewelry. I have a ton of it lol. I also like to read LGBT fanfics based on my favorite shows.

3. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed the more I've lost weight I'm now more into sexier clothing. I'm still very much into the Tomboy look but now with more of a sexy vibe to it.

As far as other things. Watching lesbian movies, tv shows with lesbian characters, or even lesbian music videos is always in my rotation. (The L word, the 100, Orange is the New Black, You Me Her)

"You, Me, Her" episode 2 is pretty hot. :slight_smile:

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Live life as whom I am, Gay. Completely out and Proud!

5. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll mirror what OTH said. I live life as a gay man. No more apologies or regrets. Most of my personal social life revolves around LGBT - meetups, support group activities, et al. :slight_smile:

6. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Sienna, from a distance you've come such a long way since you joined this forum. Well done you. Can I ask, was there ever any depression involved in your journey?

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Butterfly - what shows do you like? I still haven't read (or written) any fanfic. But most shows that I love have lots of fanfic. I'm into BTVS, Jessica Jones, general supernatural or scifi type of stuff.

OutofZCloset - good for you!! Losing weight is so hard. I was doing a lot of comfort eating and sometimes I do stress eating. I just have to break that cycle. I think it will push my confidence up to a great level.

OntheHighway and SiennaFire - you guys are in a stage I'm aspiring to :slight_smile:. This conscious effort to pump up my queer pride is part of getting there. I love wearing my queerness on my sleeve. It helps me gain confidence.

Justasking - I agree, SF has come a long way. I totally admire him and his strength! (Same with OTH)

8. Butterfly2016

Right now I'm really into The L Word. This is my 3rd time rewatching it lol. I also like lesbian webseries like Out With Dad, thats a good one. Check it out sometime :slight_smile: I also look up lesbian shortfilms on YT.

9. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I pick up energy from posts I identify with, or provide good insights, here on EC. Even if they're not individually about coming out, or if they're by someone in a different situation than me, it can still inspire.

I'm also reading a book, "Getting Bi" by Ochs and Rowley. It's amazing to me how very different bisexuals' experiences and lives can be. Some I can't hardly identify with. Then I'll read one who is so much like me. That is awesome, makes me feel less like a purple unicorn.

10. CameronMR

You are difiatley on the right track!! thats pretty much waht I do except I havent really changed my style of dress....My family and friends used to all ways make fun of me for wearing "dyke pants" but, well, they get it now. lol
    I still live in sundresses in hot weather cuz that way i dont have to wear pants. lol

I love a song called "i didnt just kiss her" by Jen Foster. I like to imagine its the other side of the Katy perry's story, I kissed a girl and I liked it. lol

sounds like you and me have the same taste in shows, I love sci-fi fantasy and post apocalyptic shows. :grin::grin::grin:

---------- Post added 6th May 2016 at 02:52 PM ----------

oh yeah! I also keep my hair super short now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: New pics i my album too. its not purple anymore. lol